Tree under TPO

Posted 3rd Aug
Dear Community members,

I need some suggestions regarding TPO application.

My neighbours have trees which have dead branches and I need to get tree surgeon to come and do something about dead branches plus something on healthy over hanging branches which block lot of light.

Q-1. I need to know what should I write so as not to get rejection. Any technical terms which should be used instead of just saying dead branches and lack of sunlight and too many acorns and leafs falling each day.

Q-2. I asked couple of tree surgeons for quote and they said they can’t quote until I have approval from council.
Which I find bit odd, but I have 0 knowledge of process so not sure. Do we need approval first before estimates ?

Q-3. If council approves do I need to take approval from neighbours too or can I just inform them and ask them if they will want the branches and leafs back ?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
This might be of some use to you. We submitted an application to the local council together with a supporting letter from a tree surgeon who actually explained the work involved and the need for such works to be approved.
I’m surprised tree surgeons have declined to look at the tree before permission has been granted, perhaps they don’t want the work.
Looking at it from a tree preservation POV is not the right way to go about the problem - although your concern for the tree is admirable.
Your problem is a shared one with your neighbour. You should start there first.
citizensadvice.org.uk/hou…ge/
Citizens advice are useless, total waste of time read Google reviews local to you for an idea
Edited by: "MR1123" 3rd Aug
MR112303/08/2020 18:59

Citizens advice are useless, total waste of time read Google reviews local …Citizens advice are useless, total waste of time read Google reviews local to you for an idea

so you don't think
* it is necessary to check before cutting whether there is a TPO
* check who owns the tree? (the neighbour could be renting)
* talking to the neighbour would be worthwhile
* seeking a mediator might help should the neighbour not be amenable to a plan
* it might be necessary to get a solicitor

My suggestion to visit the web page was simply to show the things to consider. You may have a beef about Citizens Advice - maybe you should read the facts citizensadvice.org.uk/abo…ct/
In case you can't be bothered
* 7 out of 10 people are helped to solve their problem
* 82% of people helped said advice improved their lives
* 90% of clients rated their experience as good or very good.

I guess you are just one of the minority.
tardytortoise03/08/2020 18:35

Looking at it from a tree preservation POV is not the right way to go …Looking at it from a tree preservation POV is not the right way to go about the problem - although your concern for the tree is admirable.Your problem is a shared one with your neighbour. You should start there first.https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/problems-where-you-live/if-you-disagree-with-your-neighbour-about-a-tree-or-hedge/

Neighbours are not a problem until and stick to within my boundary and get things done.

I am looking for someone who can come look at it, tell me what is actually required and what can I write in application I submit to Council.
RealOldMonk03/08/2020 19:39

Neighbours are not a problem until and stick to within my boundary and get …Neighbours are not a problem until and stick to within my boundary and get things done.I am looking for someone who can come look at it, tell me what is actually required and what can I write in application I submit to Council.

if the tree is owned by the neighbour - you only need to get an agreement in writing what needs to be done
tardytortoise03/08/2020 19:54

if the tree is owned by the neighbour - you only need to get an agreement …if the tree is owned by the neighbour - you only need to get an agreement in writing what needs to be done

Cheers will do that
tardytortoise03/08/2020 19:19

so you don't think* it is necessary to check before cutting whether there …so you don't think* it is necessary to check before cutting whether there is a TPO* check who owns the tree? (the neighbour could be renting)* talking to the neighbour would be worthwhile* seeking a mediator might help should the neighbour not be amenable to a plan* it might be necessary to get a solicitorMy suggestion to visit the web page was simply to show the things to consider. You may have a beef about Citizens Advice - maybe you should read the facts https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/difference-we-make/impact-of-citizens-advice-service/all-our-impact/In case you can't be bothered * 7 out of 10 people are helped to solve their problem* 82% of people helped said advice improved their lives* 90% of clients rated their experience as good or very good.I guess you are just one of the minority.

Dont put words in my mouth. Maybe you should try them before backing them up. Find out about the process. hugh amount dont even make it through the doors! 7/10 hardly something to be proud of when they've sent people packing already and that is a complete lie, ive seen it with my own eyes, the number of people that get turned away is shocking They dont help majority, they just send you to alternative organisations. better finding them yourselves. I ended up going law club and acas but this was work related not sure if they any of them cover op's issue but worth looking into.
Just because the trees have a TPO does not mean you should not maintain them.
I telephoned my council a few years back there was no problem.they came out we discussed what needed to be done (thinning and capping) then he issued a letter of approval.He said to me that people think because they have a TPO they cannot touch them whereas they would prefer people to maintain them.
The main reason for TPO is to stop people felling them (ie builders etc to sqeeze in even more houses.
1850maggie03/08/2020 20:51

Just because the trees have a TPO does not mean you should not maintain …Just because the trees have a TPO does not mean you should not maintain them.I telephoned my council a few years back there was no problem.they came out we discussed what needed to be done (thinning and capping) then he issued a letter of approval.He said to me that people think because they have a TPO they cannot touch them whereas they would prefer people to maintain them.The main reason for TPO is to stop people felling them (ie builders etc to sqeeze in even more houses.

Thanks mate, this really helps. I want someone to look at tree and tell me what is to be done. I don’t want tree gone. Just don’t want dead branch to fall on my girl when she is playing outside.
And to do something about other tree who’s hanging branches, seems healthy tree but zillions of acorns and leafs everyday is stressful and blocks sun too.

Neighbours don’t seem bothered about dead branches so can I still talk to council even if it’s not in my boundary.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy, get yourself a beaver and train him to cut your neighbor's trees, sorted.
What else .......
MR112303/08/2020 18:59

Citizens advice are useless, total waste of time read Google reviews local …Citizens advice are useless, total waste of time read Google reviews local to you for an idea

i have approached citizen advice twice before. once about council tax and they said they couldn't advise, another time about a more complicated matter and they could only tell me to go to another organisation, which I was already aware of. i find they hardly know anything!
1850maggie03/08/2020 20:51

Just because the trees have a TPO does not mean you should not maintain …Just because the trees have a TPO does not mean you should not maintain them.I telephoned my council a few years back there was no problem.they came out we discussed what needed to be done (thinning and capping) then he issued a letter of approval.He said to me that people think because they have a TPO they cannot touch them whereas they would prefer people to maintain them.The main reason for TPO is to stop people felling them (ie builders etc to sqeeze in even more houses.

This. I work in Planning. Drop me a DM and I will send you some links in the morning.
Rugrats03/08/2020 21:48

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, get yourself a beaver and train him to cut your …Easy peasy lemon squeezy, get yourself a beaver and train him to cut your neighbor's trees, sorted. What else .......

I wish I could, not a bad idea
RealOldMonk03/08/2020 21:29

Thanks mate, this really helps. I want someone to look at tree and tell me …Thanks mate, this really helps. I want someone to look at tree and tell me what is to be done. I don’t want tree gone. Just don’t want dead branch to fall on my girl when she is playing outside.And to do something about other tree who’s hanging branches, seems healthy tree but zillions of acorns and leafs everyday is stressful and blocks sun too.Neighbours don’t seem bothered about dead branches so can I still talk to council even if it’s not in my boundary.

Hi,Yes you should still be able to get approval to do the work,but I think the TPO Official would prefer the owner of the tree to agree also.
1978120403/08/2020 23:08

This. I work in Planning. Drop me a DM and I will send you some links in …This. I work in Planning. Drop me a DM and I will send you some links in the morning.

Thanks, will do
I don’t think you should mention falling acorns etc. , focus on the dead branches and the safety aspect.

I have been refused to remove a tree from my garden and local authority reluctantly allow me to trim it back by 20%.

The OH telling the guy when he visited about the nesting birds didn’t help matters
Post a comment
@
    Text