Trip to Orlando

Posted 2nd Jan
Evening,

Planning on taking my 5 year old to Orlando this year. Will be me, the Mrs and her. Not bothered about when as long as it's reasonably warm.

I often see detailed planned trips on here so I'm just after some pointers as I might look to book stuff seperatly rather than just have a package.

No specifics planned other than a few days at Disney.

What other places should we do?
I've heard it's cheaper to fly to nearby airports rather than Orlando, anyone know if this is true?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Sometimes it works out cheaper and more efficient to get a villa rather than staying at a hotel
Arto02/01/2020 00:10

Sometimes it works out cheaper and more efficient to get a villa rather …Sometimes it works out cheaper and more efficient to get a villa rather than staying at a hotel

I second this. A villa is much better and usually comes with a private pool and is cheaper.
I flew cheap to Sanford Orlando but I think TUI have changed to MCO now. Join the Orlando/Disney for brits groups on facebook for the best advice!
If you are looking to save a few quid just take her to Disneyland Paris and say it's Orlando, she won't know the difference
666FU02/01/2020 02:55

If you are looking to save a few quid just take her to Disneyland Paris …If you are looking to save a few quid just take her to Disneyland Paris and say it's Orlando, she won't know the difference

Been to both and would always say pay the extra and go for Orlando.

Paris does laser shows Orlando does fireworks and near to magic as you will get..

Orlando fb groups, the DIBB, if you are going more than 4 or 5 Disney days get uk tickets then you can go as much or as little as you like..

We went over Xmas it was great with all the decorations but Halloween time is great too..

If you can go any time of year check November and January as they have some quiet weeks then that could save some money.

If you can get direct flights use these as it’s a long flight and the extra transfers might not save you a mega amount.

Car hire is great too. Search here as I asked few questions and got some great answers.

For hotels idrive is cheaper but we did our first villa and loved it despite heavy traffic on i4 every day so look into where villa is as it might say 25 mins to Disney but traffic can make 45 or 60mins. Also it’s about $25 to park so factor this in. We sometimes go at night once the parking booth close but that time is constant.

Beware resort fees and hotel parking which might not be included

Plus research coupons and stock up on drinks at big supermarkets as park drinks are expensive.

Happy if you want clarity on anything too

Enjoy the trip
Universal studios is better than Disneyland so book a few days there if you can. Hire a car unless your hotel provides a shuttle to Disney. Download the Disney app and prebook the fast passes about a month in advanced as the queues for the decent rides (Pandora) are horrendous in busy periods(school holidays etc). See if there’s a space launch when your going and have a trip to nasa about an hours drive from Orlando. Have fun
We always fly into Sanford, we went in 2016 disney, universal and sea world was so much to fit into 14 days We felt we needed more time at the places so went last year family of 4 stayed on international drive and had 14 day passes for just Disney parks and we have just booked to go back this year too in a villa this time and we have just universal tickets at the moment and are going to add on others when we get there and there’s so much more to do other than the parks! last year the flights, hotel, hire car and park tickets cost just under £3500 we spent spending money £1500 including parking charge $25 a day at the Disney parks (free at Disney water parks) we love Orlando

Disney has 6 parks in total (4 parks and 2 water parks) I personally think you need at least 2 days in each of the theme parks

Magic kingdom
Animal kingdom
Hollywood studios
Epcot
Blizzard beach (water park)
Typhoon lagoon (water park)
Edited by: "delly123" 2nd Jan
I would do universal instead of Disney, cheaper,and smaller, perfect for a few days.
Gatorland was great fun day out too.
Staying in international drive, using Uber was so handy, quick and cheap to get everywhere.
Have a look on the BA sale website. Some amazing cheap deals for orlando atm.
discozohan02/01/2020 07:47

Universal studios is better than Disneyland so book a few days there if …Universal studios is better than Disneyland so book a few days there if you can.

Not for a 5 year old. If it's one or the other then I'd say Magic Kingdom all day long.
At 5 she'll likely only have very hazy memories of the holiday as she gets older so don't get too obsessed with trying to have a "perfect" holiday and spending stupid amounts of money to enable it. There's lots of queuing for character meet and greets so you'll need to think of ways to keep her entertained in queues (buy an external battery if you plan to use a phone to keep her entertained, there's free wifi throughout the parks). If you're going in a hotter period, invest in a water bottle so she can drink if she needs to.

A breakfast buffet can avoid expensive theme park lunches (I'd imagine a 5 year old would be more than happy with pancake stacks) and there are lots of fast food options that are cheap. Steak n Shake is extremely cheap and has a big variety of shakes.

The 2 weeks after Thanksgiving are a time I like going, the parks are a bit quieter, the weather isn't as hot (although if you're unlucky it can get wintery) and all the Christmas decorations are up.

Gatorland is fun, as is silversprings with its glass bottom boat tours.
I've been to Florida twice we stayed on International Drive and both of our hotels offered complementary bus to Universal & Disney, So worth looking if your hotel offers this. Two other places i really recommend are Busch Gardens & Kennedy space center, Both of those places can be got to by organised coach trip, One more tip. if you can, go when the american school kids are in school as all the parks get rammed and you'll miss half the rides because of the queues.
All very helpful, thanks
Good starting points for me to start googling.
Keep them coming 😁
We went in October 2017 for Halloween. weather was lovely.we got free Disney dining plan when staying in one of their hotels - this saved us an absolute fortune and took the stress out of having to budget whilst we were there . Disney transport was great, we used uber to get to universal which was a reasonable price. Check out the dibb they have great planning info on there including villas etc. I read some of the trip reports which also helped me decided what to do and what not to do. I would choose Disney over universal with a 5 yr old . It is magical !
Unless you are planning on using public transport it doesn't really matter whether you fly in to Orlando or Sanford (most airlines use Orlando MCO). If your going to Disney i'd just buy a 14 day pass and take your time enjoying it, do the other parks another time.
With a 5yr old (or anyone who doesn't like intense heat and humidity) it's best to avoid July-September as it's very hot and wet. March - May is our favourite time of year as the weather is hot but not unbearable and it doesn't rain as often. Remember to book your fast passes 30 days before you go, 60 if you stay onsite at Disney or one of the partner hotels.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants