Trouble installing an SSD drive

Found 2nd Aug 2017
Hi, I'm trying to install an SSD drive and failing, I've not done it before so must be going wrong somewhere.

My sons's laptop screen broke, so we retrieved the SSD with an intent to install it as the sole ssd in a spare laptop i have.

I swapped the ssd over and booted from a usb stick with a windows ISO but ssd was not detected.

So I read about firmware and downloaded a firmware iso file from samsung website, burned to a disc and booted off this with the ssd installed, but ssd is not detected by the firmware installer.

I've googled alot, but everything is about installing ssd as a secondary drive, with a sata - usb cable, which we don't have.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Kris
Community Updates
AskSSD
10 Comments
it's an 840 evo ssd
1st thing is to go into bios and see if the ssd is recognised there, lots of bios types and revisions mean there are a few reasons the drive is not showing as available to an os.
How old is the spare laptop ?
ok will check bios. spare laptop is going on 5-6 years old
maddogb19 m ago

1st thing is to go into bios and see if the ssd is recognised there, lots …1st thing is to go into bios and see if the ssd is recognised there, lots of bios types and revisions mean there are a few reasons the drive is not showing as available to an os.

primary hd = none

bios update?
kpmatthews4 m ago

primary hd = nonebios update?

yeah might be worth looking into but first also check cables and consider double checks ie test the ssd is recognised by another bios and the laptop u are trying has its bios reset to factory and will recognise another sata hdd.
Could be whatever damaged the old lappy has also taken out the ssd.
ok don't laugh

i took the ssd out to have a look at the connectors and they all looked fine so slid it back in. and out and in again and noticed there wasn't much friction towards the end of the slide. so i slid the old hdd back in and there was friction when it connected, so tried the ssd and still no friction. compared the sizes of the drives, all the same. so i flipped the laptop over on its front and slid the ssd in and this time friction..... where it's thinner than a hdd it was sliding underneath the sata connector
i slid a few used railcards in with the ssd and it connected and booted up straight away into my sons desktop. probably a few drivers to sort out but what a kerfuffle (/ muppet) thanks for your help!
Was there a rectangular ring the size of the drive in the packaging, my SSD had that and I never knew what it was for, probably a spacer - never needed it as I was mounting it to a 3 1/2" adapter.
kpmatthews18 h, 17 m ago

ok don't laughi took the ssd out to have a look at the connectors and they …ok don't laughi took the ssd out to have a look at the connectors and they all looked fine so slid it back in. and out and in again and noticed there wasn't much friction towards the end of the slide. so i slid the old hdd back in and there was friction when it connected, so tried the ssd and still no friction. compared the sizes of the drives, all the same. so i flipped the laptop over on its front and slid the ssd in and this time friction..... where it's thinner than a hdd it was sliding underneath the sata connector i slid a few used railcards in with the ssd and it connected and booted up straight away into my sons desktop. probably a few drivers to sort out but what a kerfuffle (/ muppet) thanks for your help!

*snigger*

sounds like a load of wasted space if can slide a whole ssd under the connector or maybe set to take thicker 15mm drives?
any spacer you got with the ssd would only lift it 2.5mm id have thought to change 7mm-9.5mm

wish my laptop was like that rather than stupid thin thing - says it wont even take 9.5mm as if 2.5mm is much!
Why don't you fix the screen on the other laptop, it's not difficult
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants