Trouble Playing MKV files on Samsung Tv

Found 12th Sep 2012
Hey guys Ive just brought the Samsung Le32D580 32" tv. Really pleased with it, however it has problems playing some Mkv files sometimes. For instance when I plug my hard drive in, it will play some mkv files but for others it will say a codec is missing even though it's the same type of file! Additionally when it does play Mkv files it doesn't play subtitles for the program's that have them? Does anyone know why this is? I can't watch any anime with this problem! Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Community Updates
MiscSamsungTV & Video
21 Comments
Mkv is only a container for files, doesn't mean one mkv is the same as another, may I ask how you are obtaining said mkv's?
I think you "bought" it not "brought"
mkv file play fine on my samsung tv
try update the software from samsung support website
try changing the file ending from .mkv to .avi (you can always change it back)
You will need to re-encode the files to use a CODEC that the TV supports. Dbhoy is correct in that MKV is NOT a CODEC. Hence, renaming to AVI makes no difference either, since AVI isn't a CODEC and always stores the data in an interleaved format. To find out the CODEC being used, you can use MediaInfo or G-Spot. This will allow you to determine the CODEC to be used when re-encoding.
Edited by: "ElliottC" 13th Sep 2012
download mediainfo and this will tell you the audio / video codecs used

mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

it may not handle AC3 properly so would need to convert using avidemux

bbin.in/en/…ok/

michaelmakro

try changing the file ending from .mkv to .avi (you can always change it … try changing the file ending from .mkv to .avi (you can always change it back)

how on earth would that help? oO
Some mkv's have compressed headers, not all media player's can play them.
csiman

how on earth would that help? oO

It helps for DLNA sharing via WMP

by changing the extension to avi, you can stream from your pc without messing around too much, for some reason WMP doesn't support mkv streaming

Of course, you could use different streaming software, such as tversity or ps3media player

Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 13th Sep 2012
jayjayuk1234

It helps for DLNA sharing via WMPby changing the extension to avi, you … It helps for DLNA sharing via WMPby changing the extension to avi, you can stream from your pc without messing around too much, for some reason WMP doesn't support mkv streamingOf course, you could use different streaming software, such as tversity or ps3media player

doesnt help at all here though

"when I plug my hard drive in, it will play some mkv files but for others it will say a codec is missing"
csiman

doesnt help at all here though "when I plug my hard drive in, it will … doesnt help at all here though "when I plug my hard drive in, it will play some mkv files but for others it will say a codec is missing"

Very true, but the samsung tv will complain that there is a codec problem when trying to stream mkv from the pc

Posted just in case
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 13th Sep 2012
found this myself with my surround sound, plays some but no all. as people have said above its the codecs it doesnt like.

rather than converting etc i just bought one of those sumvision mirco media players. no problems at all with that and have played everything thrown at it so far.
king261

found this myself with my surround sound, plays some but no all. as … found this myself with my surround sound, plays some but no all. as people have said above its the codecs it doesnt like.rather than converting etc i just bought one of those sumvision mirco media players. no problems at all with that and have played everything thrown at it so far.

Yeah it's usually the audio,

Easy to recode using audacity with ffmpeg plugins, export to wavs then use something like WAV2AC3, then remux
MKV2VOB
Thanks for the suggestions guys, Ive downloaded the programs mentioned but im still confused.The mkv files which work and dont work are labelled as AVC - Video stream, AAC - Audio stream so its makes it confusing because im not exactly sure what i need to change it to... Also does anyone know how i can get subtitles to play from the mkv files themselves?
its the audio or video codec the TV doesn't like. as for subtitles the majority of mkv's have them built in but t all depends on if your tv supports it.

still recommend the sumvision player!
i think its the video codec AVC however the mkv files which dont play are also named AVC which makes it confusing :s
I have a follow up question. I just bought a Samsung UE32ES5505 and I can't play any MKV files at all. Weird thing is that I have an older Samsung (UE46C600) that can play the exact same files. Anyone got a clue why I can't play MKV files on a newer model? I use Serviio as DLNA server and it works like a charm with my UE46C600.

Other formats like xvid (avi) works fine and I have tried to update the firmware, but I had the latest.

I primary use my TV for streaming MKV files, so this is bad. Hopefully someone knows what the hell is going on..

Thanks in advance.
I have a follow up question. I just bought a Samsung UE32ES5505 and I can't play any MKV files at all. Weird thing is that I have an older Samsung (UE46C600) that can play the exact same files. Anyone got a clue why I can't play MKV files on a newer model? I use Serviio as DLNA server and it works like a charm with my UE46C600.

Other formats like xvid (avi) works fine and I have tried to update the firmware, but I had the latest.

I primary use my TV for streaming MKV files, so this is bad. Hopefully someone knows what the hell is going on..

Thanks in advance.
I have the same problem, it says the codec isn't supported, but when I checked it the only difference between the two .mkv files where that the one that played had a V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC[und] while the other one was V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC[eng].
Anybody know anything about that?
I highly recommend Avdshare Video Converter
can easily convert MKV to Samsung TV with only three clicks: import the MKV files, set the output format, and start to convert.You can get it at avdshare.com/mkv…ter
Rather than having to constantly convert files it would probably be easier just to buy an Android XBMC/Kodi media box.

My Minix box plays everything you throw at it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants