Trouble with neighbour with dog dirt

Found 30th Apr 2012
Hi All, just looking for some pointers with a problem I'm having with a neighbour.

I live in a row of 5 houses, at the back of my house i have right of way that is used to gain access for bins, window cleaner, kids taking bikes around and basically to access my back way (no jokes kids), the end house where i have to walk past has a dog and the problem is the owner lets it do it's dirt all over their garden (right of way path too), it's becoming a big problem now, I've got it all over the bin wheels, my shoes and the kids bikes have to be rinsed everytime they come in as it's all over their wheels.

I've spoke to the owner a number of times but he's not doing anything about it, theres only my house and the house next to me plus the owner with the dog that uses it, I've asked my next door neighbour (who is in her 70s) and she isn't really bothered and says she doesn't need the bother, to be fair she only uses it once every 2 weeks for her bins.

Anyone know what i can do? the houses are private owned, all my deeds say that the right of way is to remain un-blocked and not altered etc, theres no mention of dog mess.

I would of thought it would be a enviromental issue but wasn't sure with it being private owned, my main worry is that my kids get it on their hands and get in eyes or mouths etc.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Misc
51 Comments
So the dogs are doing it on a privately shared pathway?

Not sure what you could do. If it was council owned pavement you could take pictures of the dogs doing it and send it to the council but im not sure that would work if you or your neighbour own that plot of pavement.
Get on the blower to your council as the owner is obliged to clean up their dogs mess. its worth a try to ask to see what they can do.
Edited by: "AR2012" 30th Apr 2012
No advice on your local authorities site?
Would environmental health not do anything? I'd pick it up and put it right outside their back door. Irresponsible lazy scruffy dog owners give us decent ones a bad name.
take pictures and videos of owner not cleaning up after the dirtty doings, send it to council and let em sort it.
Or contact the Environmental Health department of your local Council and explain the situation. As its not healthy they should deal with it.
Try environmental health, as in post one the dog poo rule will prob not apply as on private land, but Environmental health will take a look at the risk to public health, and can enforce clean ups
Why didnt you ask me rather than post all over HUKD?

Im going to **** through you letterbox now.
It really depends on how nasty you want to be, if you have spoken to him, and spoken again, and he refuses to do anything I would start taking a spade out there each morning and flicking it back into his garden, or I would send him a letter stating that you are extremely concerned that it is a health hazard and if he refuses to act you will be forced to seel a legal responce
miles136

Try environmental health, as in post one the dog poo rule will prob not … Try environmental health, as in post one the dog poo rule will prob not apply as on private land, but Environmental health will take a look at the risk to public health, and can enforce clean ups

^^^^^ OP do this ^^^^^
yes the right of way path is private owned, each house owns the land but their is a right of way that passes by my nextdoor neighbour and also the end house (which has the dog mess problem) and comes out at the side of the end house.

It's not used by the public, just the houses that have access to the rear.

I've had a look on my local council site and theres nothing about private right of ways, theres information about dog fouling but this is for public paths and parks etc.

I'm going to take some photos of the dog mess, when the owner comes home from work he just lets the dog out at the rear and it craaps all over the path, he does not clear anything up, some of it has been there for months.

They do not use the garden for anything so they don't seem to be bothered about where it does it's mess.
I hate this!
Theres a big stinky one outside my drive way!
Ass holes!
blackster

yes the right of way path is private owned, each house owns the land but … yes the right of way path is private owned, each house owns the land but their is a right of way that passes by my nextdoor neighbour and also the end house (which has the dog mess problem) and comes out at the side of the end house.It's not used by the public, just the houses that have access to the rear.I've had a look on my local council site and theres nothing about private right of ways, theres information about dog fouling but this is for public paths and parks etc.I'm going to take some photos of the dog mess, when the owner comes home from work he just lets the dog out at the rear and it craaps all over the path, he does not clear anything up, some of it has been there for months.They do not use the garden for anything so they don't seem to be bothered about where it does it's mess.

Forget about what is Private & what is not.
It's a health issue with the kids etc & you should call the environmental health & they will deal with it.Photos will also help.
dylanjb100

I hate this!Theres a big stinky one outside my drive way!Ass holes!

Hey we squirrels never do big poos.
WheresMeNuts

^^^^^ OP do this ^^^^^

Thanks I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say, I've asked him twice now (nicely), I'm not asking much for him to clear up his dog mess, I feel sorry for the dog as it stands all over the stuff daily
Edited by: "blackster" 30th Apr 2012
do a big **** on his front door step
If you have already spoken to your neighbour about the problem and it has fallen on deaf ears, I would recommend that you raise this with your local Councillor because it is an environmental health issue. The best way to contact your local Councillor is by clicking here
WheresMeNuts

^^^^^ OP do this ^^^^^

Ahhh WMN - can un-ignore now - a nice short reply

Serious note though, it just shows how some have absolutely no regard for their neighbours (and probably people in general).
Feel sorry for you OP horrible thing to have to live with.
Edited by: "maccy1" 30th Apr 2012
Grill

If you have already spoken to your neighbour about the problem and it has … If you have already spoken to your neighbour about the problem and it has fallen on deaf ears, I would recommend that you raise this with your local Councillor because it is an environmental health issue. The best way to contact your local Councillor is by clicking here

Will do, I'll see what my local enviromental health say tomorrow if i get nowhere I'll take it further.

I just wanted to see if it was an unreasonable request, didn't want to sound silly when i contacted my local council, I thought it was time to draw the line last night when i spent nearly a hour cleaning all my kids bikes and shoes with hot water and disinfectant, this mornings bin run was also nasty.
blackster

Will do, I'll see what my local enviromental health say tomorrow if i get … Will do, I'll see what my local enviromental health say tomorrow if i get nowhere I'll take it further.I just wanted to see if it was an unreasonable request, didn't want to sound silly when i contacted my local council, I thought it was time to draw the line last night when i spent nearly a hour cleaning all my kids bikes and shoes with hot water and disinfectant, this mornings bin run was also nasty.

Definitely NOT an unreasonable request, I wish you the best of luck, it is such a shame when one person makes living where you are a nightmare.
To me there is no difference from shaking the poo out of a baby's nappy on the floor. We would all be horrified if anyone did that, but somehow there are people like your disgusting neighbour who find it acceptable to not clear up after their dog.

You have asked him nicely a few times. Now you need to take it further with environmental health.

Yes, there is a health risk, especially with children but as anyone who has had to try and dog poo off of children's shoes with it ingrained in the soles, it is extremely unsavoury.

Is the dog running loose? That would also concern me where my children are concerned. I am a dog lover but I believe that dog owners should be responsible.

You can buy instant poo freeze which hardens the mess but that would be at an expense to yourself.

Personally I would use a spade and transport it back over his fence and into his garden but that may well end in an altercation or him doing something back to you.

Do phone your local council and ask the dog warden for advice.

blackster

Will do, I'll see what my local enviromental health say tomorrow if i get … Will do, I'll see what my local enviromental health say tomorrow if i get nowhere I'll take it further.I just wanted to see if it was an unreasonable request, didn't want to sound silly when i contacted my local council, I thought it was time to draw the line last night when i spent nearly a hour cleaning all my kids bikes and shoes with hot water and disinfectant, this mornings bin run was also nasty.

Your request is not unreasonable, however, due to the potential health implications here, if I were you, I would bypass the environmental health department because your complaint may not be dealth with straight away. If members (Councillors) contact a Council department of behalf of one of their Constituents, it is dealt with as a matter of urgency. I would also recommend that you contact the Councillor that is up for re-election on 3rd May.
instant poo freeze X)
funny.onion

To me there is no difference from shaking the poo out of a baby's nappy … To me there is no difference from shaking the poo out of a baby's nappy on the floor. We would all be horrified if anyone did that, but somehow there are people like your disgusting neighbour who find it acceptable to not clear up after their dog.You have asked him nicely a few times. Now you need to take it further with environmental health. Yes, there is a health risk, especially with children but as anyone who has had to try and dog poo off of children's shoes with it ingrained in the soles, it is extremely unsavoury. Is the dog running loose? That would also concern me where my children are concerned. I am a dog lover but I believe that dog owners should be responsible.You can buy instant poo freeze which hardens the mess but that would be at an expense to yourself.Personally I would use a spade and transport it back over his fence and into his garden but that may well end in an altercation or him doing something back to you.Do phone your local council and ask the dog warden for advice.

Thanks, the dog is inside nearly all day, he only lets the dog out when he gets home from work and also late at night (not that i've been stalking him), the dog mess is actually on his side of the fence not mine, my garden is fine, it's all over the path that leads out from the rear of my house, theres gates that seperate the houses, I've tried telling my kids to avoid it but it's damm near hard as it's ingrained in the stone path and been scattered about (sorry if someone is having their tea).

I've thought about clearning it up myself but asked myself why should i? it's not my dog and i shouldn't have to put up with such things, as some people have mentioned I could get a spade and shove it in his letter box or rub it all over his patio doors but I still don't think he would shift it.
Pick it up in a bag and post it through his letterbox!
I have had a similar problem and after contacting the council they put me in touch with the Evironmental Health and they were excellent because it is classed as a health issue so dealt with it very quickly.
sedd33

why not feed the dog a kilo of dairy milk bar? problem solved

I've been doing this for around 2 months & the wife is now 22 stone
WheresMeNuts

I've been doing this for around 2 months & the wife is now 22 stone

Must have been an old picture you posted of her the other day then
WheresMeNuts

^^^^^ OP do this ^^^^^

I know this works because my Mother got new ppl next door a few years ago they had 2 large dogs that oll messed in their own garden, but they did not clean it up, the smell in summer was very bad, they said "we own the house its our garden we can do what we like"

Took a few complaints to EH and a few visits, they were told if they did not clean up it would be done for them and they would have to pay,

They cleaned it up and moved a few years later
So the dog is cooped up inside then in the evening is let out and the first thing the poor thing wants to do is a steaming pile of....

This is a timing problem. The dog must be made to do his business before the owner comes home.

Some meat laced with ex lax fed through the letterbox to the dog should incur a nice present indoors for the owner to come home to!

Seriously, I think environmental health would help you. I would also try and take a photo if possible of the dog doing his business as further evidence.
Hate these kinda lazy people, dog dirt is a major problem and can cause serious injuries to children,
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do, the dog is having a crap in his own backyard, on his own private property.
Not sure anyone has suggested this but i would post it through his letterbox.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do, the dog is having a crap in … Unfortunately there is nothing you can do, the dog is having a crap in his own backyard, on his own private property.

There is a right of way pathway that runs through his garden that myself and family also use, he's welcome to do whatever he wants with his garden but the issue in question is in fact it's happening on the right of way path.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do, the dog is having a crap in … Unfortunately there is nothing you can do, the dog is having a crap in his own backyard, on his own private property.

no, this is not correct, it is a public health issue

It is a statutory nuisance, op - as others have said contact EH - ignore suggestion to go via councillors, that's so freak in annoying when folk do that.
You could apply to the council to make it a requirement to keep the pathway clear, and get them to put up signs as they do around public footpaths, but as this is a private area, they will not likely be interested. Legally, there is nothing you can do. Unfortunately, like more and more people these dyas, you are stuck with a scumbag neighbour from hell. Welcome to the modern UK, cesspit of the world.
Has neighbour got a wall between right of way path and his rear garden with just an open access route? If so, maybe offer to fit a gate for him.
I've just found this...

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12576&start=0

They had the dog mess resolved.

Does your neighbour use his garden, ie a bbq with friends etc?

I would make a big deal of hosing down the path in front of them.

This is defiantly an environmental health issue. Don't bother with the council etc as its not in their remit.

Speak to Environmental Health for advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants