Groups

'True Blood' - Vampires ain't never been so good! ( New TV series )

Just watched the first episode of this new series from Alan Ball, and it's looking good!

If you like shows like 'Dexter' and 'Six Feet Under', you'll probably like this too.

Thoughts from people who've already watched a few episodes? ( No spoilers please!)

53 Comments

Didn't think I would like it as I thought it would be all angst ridden twilight style junk but ended up really liking it.

I like how the episodes often end on a cliffhanger by giving you a little taster for next week.

Fantastic show! A 'grown-up' vampire series (unlike Buffy etc)
    Loved it! Can't wait for another season.

not heard of this, sounds interesting.... when was it on/channel etc

Original Poster

Ungreat;4377147

Didn't think I would like it as I thought it would be all angst ridden … Didn't think I would like it as I thought it would be all angst ridden twilight style junk but ended up really liking it.I like how the episodes often end on a cliffhanger by giving you a little taster for next week.

koppyking;4377176

Fantastic show! A 'grown-up' vampire series (unlike Buffy etc)Loved it! … Fantastic show! A 'grown-up' vampire series (unlike Buffy etc)Loved it! Can't wait for another season.

Glad to hear it's worth moving on to the next episodes! Yep, Alan Ball isn't afraid of tackling people's sensitivities - definitely for grown-ups! I loved Six Feet Under when it came out, and he seems to have moved on from his attack on taboos in that show to attacking prejudice in this one, with vampires as the victims. :evil: Really sassy and smart!

Original Poster

MissRoo;4377194

not heard of this, sounds interesting.... when was it on/channel etc

It's not over here yet, but coming to Channel 4 soon I think ??

Liddle ol' me;4377262

It's not over here yet, but coming to Channel 4 soon I think ??

oh right, thanks.. i'll keep a look out for it :thumbsup:

Fantastic series. definately one for the grown ups! :

It's based on a series of books by Charlaine Harris - well worth a read.

Sookie Stackhouse
    1. Dead Until Dark (2001)
    2. Living Dead in Dallas (2002)
    3. Club Dead (2003)
    4. Dead to the World (2004)
    5. Dead as a Doornail (2005)
    6. Definitely Dead (2006)
    7. All Together Dead (2007)
    8. From Dead to Worse (2008)
    9. Dead and Gone (2009)
    Dead in Dixie (omnibus) (2003)
    Dead By Day (omnibus) (2005)
    Sookie Stackhouse Box Set (omnibus) (2008)
    Cruel and Unusual (2009)

never heard of it but looks interesting, it hasn't been axed already has it?

Channel 4 have bought it, with plans to screen it later this year.

oo great sounds great, will have to keep an eye out for this, i love all things vampireish, lol

I have read some of eh books by Charlaine Harris but never knew about this series, thanks for posting going to watch this now. Just seen the ]trailer on Youtube and it looks great.

Original Poster

WARNING: DIALOGUE FROM EPISODE 2 (SPOILER)

Oooh, episode 2 is even better, but a bit gory at times. The dialogue is really smart though when thinking about the main message the writer is conveying about prejudice and discrimination through the vampire metaphor. Here's an example I just had to pause at (found the transcript here losttv-forum.com/for…192 )

Scene 6 The woods at night -- Bill [the vampire] is licking the blood from Sookie's forehead [after saving her from an attack from the rednecks and letting her drink his blood to save her life]. He draws away as Sookie regains consciousness and opens her eyes.

Sookie: Do I taste different from other people?
    Bill: Yes ... what are you?
    Sookie: Well, apparently I'm not dead. What I am is telepathic. I can hear people's thoughts.
    Bill: Even mine?
    Sookie: No. That's why I like you so much. I can't hear you at all. You have no idea how peaceful it is after a lifetime of ... blah, blah, blah.

I love it - a lifetime of blah, blah, blah! I suppose that refers to the usual unthinking, prejudiced nonsense spouted by most. And I like the idea of using Sookie's 'telepathy' to portray intelligence and an ability to see past prejudice.

And Bill's repeated question, 'what are you?' (he asks it at least twice in episode 1), shows, I think, his incomprehension at meeting someone so pure and free from the usual discrimination he encounters as a vampire.

Entertaining and thoughtful. I do like Alan Ball's stuff.

Staroffurby;4382936

I have read some of eh books by Charlaine Harris but never knew about … I have read some of eh books by Charlaine Harris but never knew about this series, thanks for posting going to watch this now. Just seen the ]trailer on Youtube and it looks great.

Do the books take on the same subjects too (prejudice & discrimination etc), or are they 'straight' vampire books that Alan Ball has put this distinctive mark on?

Looks fantastic.......:thumbsup:

plus it's got Vinny from Home & away in it lol....lot of Ozzie actors in US productions now

Original Poster

choc1969;4384420

Looks fantastic.......:thumbsup:plus it's got Vinny from Home & away in … Looks fantastic.......:thumbsup:plus it's got Vinny from Home & away in it lol....lot of Ozzie actors in US productions now

Never watched H&A - which part does he play in True Blood?

Liddle ol' me;4384473

Never watched H&A - which part does he play in True Blood?

Jason Stackhouse, Sookie's older brother

His real name is Ryan Kwanten, left H&A several years ago and his first big US show was Summerland, think that didn't last long

Original Poster

choc1969;4384488

Jason Stackhouse, Sookie's older brother

hehe - well if you think he is hot, you'll love this series. All he has done so far is **** indiscriminately! I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot more of his body in the shows to come

he seems a good actor btw :thumbsup:

Liddle ol' me;4384504

hehe - well if you think he is hot, you'll love this series. All he has … hehe - well if you think he is hot, you'll love this series. All he has done so far is **** indiscriminately! I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot more of his body in the shows to come :)he seems a good actor btw :thumbsup:

not my type.....just funny to see his acting hasn't progressed as much as Alan Dale

Original Poster

choc1969;4384511

not my type.....just funny to see his acting hasn't progressed as much as … not my type.....just funny to see his acting hasn't progressed as much as Alan Dale

Don't know Alan Dale either :? but this guy plays the dumb, horny southern redneck really well. He is utterly plausible, so I'm surprised to hear he's an Aussie. Anyway I better get back to episode 2. That was a long pause!

Liddle ol' me;4384530

Don't know Alan Dale either :? but this guy plays the dumb, horny … Don't know Alan Dale either :? but this guy plays the dumb, horny southern redneck really well. He is utterly plausible, so I'm surprised to hear he's an Aussie. Anyway I better get back to episode 2. That was a long pause!

Alan was in 24, Lost, big role in Ugly Betty, part in Entourage, NCIS and one episode of Torchwood

jeez I watch too much telly........:oops:

Watched pilot episode last night and it's pretty, it's very graphic, is it only 12 episode and a second season been confirmed? yes Alan Dale has done well!

Original Poster

Abvance;4386534

Watched pilot episode last night and it's pretty, it's very graphic, is … Watched pilot episode last night and it's pretty, it's very graphic, is it only 12 episode and a second season been confirmed? yes Alan Dale has done well!

yep, only 12 eps in s1 -

as for 2nd season, I'm guessing so - it has won awards already truebloodwiki.hbo.com/pag…non

thanks for the heads up on this liddle, downloading as we speak. it'll give me something to tide me over until heroes on tues, then the sarah connor chronicles on sat.

Looks very promising, hopefully it'll be better than dollhouse. 1st episode of which was like a poor dark angel episode but its joss whedon so it can improve.

Good, at least the episodes are longer, going for quality rather than quantity much like Dexter, just realised that girl is the one who played Rogue in X-men, that was bugging me, I did remember the brother was from Home & Away eventually though. Have you watched them all Liddle, does it get better?

Original Poster

ants97;4386601

thanks for the heads up on this liddle, downloading as we speak. it'll … thanks for the heads up on this liddle, downloading as we speak. it'll give me something to tide me over until heroes on tues, then the sarah connor chronicles on sat.Looks very promising, hopefully it'll be better than dollhouse. 1st episode of which was like a poor dark angel episode but its joss whedon so it can improve.

NP's. Hope you enjoy them :thumbsup:

Abvance;4386628

Good, at least the episodes are longer, going for quality rather than … Good, at least the episodes are longer, going for quality rather than quantity much like Dexter, just realised that girl is the one who played Rogue in X-men, that was bugging me, I did remember the brother was from Home & Away eventually though. Have you watched them all Liddle, does it get better?

I've watched 4 episodes now, and yes, it gets better. It maybe hasn't hooked me as much as Dexter did at first, but it's up there. Then again it's probably a bit more complex than Dexter in terms of storyline, characters and themes, so maybe I'll grow to like it even more. Yeah, definitely worth watching the whole series I'd say.

HBO have confirmed Series 2. I've watched the whole 1st series .It's "fangtastic" ! :roll:(sorry, couldn't resist)

choc1969;4384511

.....just funny to see his acting hasn't progressed as much as Alan Dale … .....just funny to see his acting hasn't progressed as much as Alan Dale

Alan Dale is getting good money as the go to guy for evil billionaires. :-D

Seems like too much OTT sex in it, I'm sick of seeing Jason's butt!

Abvance;4393219

On the other hand you see Anna Paquin topless so swings and roundabouts. :whistling:

Original Poster

Abvance;4393219

Yes, but it's part and parcel of the 'prejudice' storyline and starts to make more sense as things go on. Homophobia is also an ongoing theme of Alan Ball's, not surprising given that he is a strong advocate of gay rights (he is gay himself btw).

Just googled this and see that he has denied that the vampires are a metaphor for gay people. Although see this - latimesblogs.latimes.com/sho…tml

http://th09.deviantart.com/fs39/300W/f/2008/357/c/e/god_hates_fangs_by_DeaF_TonE.jpg

Original Poster

... I am now officially addicted, having watched the first 9 episodes ... I'm afraid to finish the last three as the 2nd series won't be out for a while... :-(

Btw, for a taster of the maker's p.o.v., see the opening credits:

youtube.com/wat…Au8

i'm up to the 5th epsiode and have to say its pretty good. Sort of like Angel for grown ups but 3 things bug me about it.
    1st is the preachy racism stuff blah blah yes they're diff but we''re all the same blah blah.

2nd is the amount of sex with the guy out of home and away, its just not needed, less is more and all that. I don't think it sits in very well with the overall feel. Its as if its been thrown in to appeal to a certain demographic.

3rd and finally anna paquins mouth. my god what a body but its ruined everytime she opens her mouth and that big god damn gap stares back at you. She could've got that fixed when she was younger surely. its horrible.

But they're minor gripes and i'll be watching a few more episodes tonight after the football.

Oh by the way liddle how did this do in the usa? will it get a 2nd series as its looking likely my summer glau fix in the sarah connor chronicles will be coming to an end in 8 episodes. (Fox execs if your reading this we need a 3rd season)

Us tv execs literally know nothing about quality.

Original Poster

ants97;4426610

i'm up to the 5th epsiode and have to say its pretty good. Sort of like … i'm up to the 5th epsiode and have to say its pretty good. Sort of like Angel for grown ups but 3 things bug me about it. 1st is the preachy racism stuff blah blah yes they're diff but we''re all the same blah blah. 2nd is the amount of sex with the guy out of home and away, its just not needed, less is more and all that. I don't think it sits in very well with the overall feel. Its as if its been thrown in to appeal to a certain demographic. 3rd and finally anna paquins mouth. my god what a body but its ruined everytime she opens her mouth and that big god damn gap stares back at you. She could've got that fixed when she was younger surely. its horrible. But they're minor gripes and i'll be watching a few more episodes tonight after the football. Oh by the way liddle how did this do in the usa? will it get a 2nd series as its looking likely my summer glau fix in the sarah connor chronicles will be coming to an end in episodes.

It won an Emmy and has a 2nd series scheduled to start later this year sometime.

Yep, the 'preachy' stuff is there but it's using it to open up discussion of other prejudices imo. -- attitudes to homosexuality, religious bigotry, etc.

The sex isn't gratuitous either, as it fits in with this agenda in the storyline. The writer/director is a gay activist and I think the sex is used in the way it is often used by the gay community, to shock people out of the prudishness that allows them to define gay as deviant.

He claimed in an interview that this wasn't his primary aim, but I think it's too obvious not to be a major theme -- the opening credits are a good example imo.

As for the mouth bit, well that isn't such a big issue for me!

boy, you guys watch them back-to-back? I pace them out daily

Have watched 5 episodes and am hooked. The obvious sexual chemistry between 'Vampire' Bill and Sookie lights up the screen.

I wouldn't say the sex scenes are gratuitous and love all of the characters but am awaiting Sam's secret lol.

Tara reminds me of myself, unrequited lust/love of a male mate.

Shame about Granny

I'll give this a go later, somebody recommended Generation Kill on another thread so i'll give that a go too...

good good on the 2nd series.

I don't agree its far too in your face and cliched the preachy stuff that is.

Without wanting to spoil or give away any plot I thought the perfect example of this was the scene with lafiette and the rednecks who wouldn't eat the "aids" burger. That was ham fisted and has been done a million times before, I was cringing at it, reminded me of the time when mark fowler got aids on eastenders and the cliched way they dealt with it.

It brought a great show down to the level of a 2nd rate bbc soap but I do like it and I suppose i'm just more of sci fi geek who wants more vampires, conspiracies and less of in my opinion cliched "preachy stuff".

Original Poster

ants97;4426960

good good on the 2nd series. I don't agree its far too in your face and … good good on the 2nd series. I don't agree its far too in your face and cliched the preachy stuff that is. Without wanting to spoil or give away any plot I thought the perfect example of this was the scene with lafiette and the rednecks who wouldn't eat the "aids" burger. That was ham fisted and has been done a million times before, I was cringing at it, reminded me of the time when mark fowler got aids on eastenders and the cliched way they dealt with it. It brought a great show down to the level of a 2nd rate bbc soap but I do like it and I suppose i'm just more of sci fi geek who wants more vampires, conspiracies and less of in my opinion cliched "preachy stuff".

Maybe you are missing a lot of the irony through your impatience to get to the gory bits?
    Or maybe you don't like your prejudices being assaulted...? :whistling:

That's a joke btw I'm glad you are enjoying it for the most part, despite the cringeable bits :thumbsup:

Original Poster

choc1969;4426867

Have watched 5 episodes and am hooked. The obvious sexual chemistry … Have watched 5 episodes and am hooked. The obvious sexual chemistry between 'Vampire' Bill and Sookie lights up the screen.I wouldn't say the sex scenes are gratuitous and love all of the characters but am awaiting Sam's secret lol.Tara reminds me of myself, unrequited lust/love of a male mate.Shame about Granny

No SPOILERS please!!

Yep, Sam's secret - do you wanna know?

Tara is a feisty one, eh? Angry but 200% smarter than most of the other residents of [ insert town name here ]

Flodd;4426922

I'll give this a go later, somebody recommended Generation Kill on … I'll give this a go later, somebody recommended Generation Kill on another thread so i'll give that a go too...

[ nips off to check GK ]

Liddle ol' me;4427115

No SPOILERS please!! Yep, Sam's secret - do you wanna know?Tara is a … No SPOILERS please!! Yep, Sam's secret - do you wanna know?Tara is a feisty one, eh? Angry but 200% smarter than most of the other residents of [ insert town name here ][ nips off to check GK ]

will keep watching

oh my dear god I know Sams secret. This, to coin a phrase just went epic lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …2340
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1629
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764473
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)1415

See more discussions