True Replacement for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 has today been announced... The Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro!

Found 14th FebEdited by:"g-diddy"
Today in India, Xiaomi finally announced a true replacement to the Redmi Note 4, which there are a lot of people who are fans of this phone on here!

I guess this being due to the value for money, quality of build and specs you get, but has usually involved buying it from a Chinese retailer.

The true replacement phone has been announced as the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro, there also a Redmi Note 5, but in all honestly this looks very similar to the Redmi 5 Plus. Also these two aforementioned phones have exactly the same processor as last years old Note 4.

I have ripped this below table from the Android Authority website comparing them.
Source: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5/Pro vs Redmi Note 4: Specs showdown
2894639.jpg
The main changes in the Note 5 Pro seem to be the new 18x9 HD Plus 5.99 inch screen, the newer and faster SnapDragon 636 processor, the dual cameras on the rear and 64GB of storage... No mention of NFC.

There will be two version of this Pro phone with exactly the same specs as above, but one with 4GB of RAM (around £155) and another with 6GB of RAM (around £190).

*The prices quoted above are the launch prices in India and have used google to convert these to GBP. As India is the target market for this phone, getting it from a UK retailer will probably be difficult and have to import it using the likes of Gearbest, BangGood or Ali Express.

Can't see any of these retailers yet offering it to UK buyers, but will only be a matter of time and in the meantime you can decide if this a suitable phone to replace your Note 4!

Posted a few links to articles below from Indian websites (in English), to get an idea of the phone:
Mi.com - Our most advanced Redmi Note yet (Official Website)
GSM Arena - Xiaomi launches Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro
YouTube - IGyaan - Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Review : Pros Cons : The Real Note 5
Community Updates
MiscElectronics
7 Comments
Are they using quick charge technology yet?
Original Poster
Bestard5 m ago

Are they using quick charge technology yet?

If you click on the last link in my post to the YouTube review, this is one of their criticisms, as the new processor is capable of handling fast charge, but Xiaomi have not provided this kind of charger and even if you buy a fast charger, it does not seem to be enabled in the software.
Also another criticism is they are still using Micro USB and not USB-C.
On the positive it still has a headphone jack!
g-diddy9 m ago

If you click on the last link in my post to the YouTube review, this is …If you click on the last link in my post to the YouTube review, this is one of their criticisms, as the new processor is capable of handling fast charge, but Xiaomi have not provided this kind of charger and even if you buy a fast charger, it does not seem to be enabled in the software.Also another criticism is they are still using Micro USB and not USB-C.On the positive it still has a headphone jack!

Isn't it to do with licencing issues, and the need to keep costs down?
Usb C PD has no licensing costs AFAIK, I think it's more to differentiate to higher models. I'll keep my Note 4 for another year, hopefully have usb c and NFC by then, 5v2a is fast enough charging for me.

Also the Indian versions have even worse band support than the Chinese models so I'd not expect it to be readily available to import until a Chinese or global version is released.
Banned
Cold not Apple
Doesn't charging a battery fast damage the battery a bit or have they found a way around that? I think mine charges about 1.8A with a 2A charger which is fast enough for the battery, I don't fully charge either to save battery life.
I'm not interested in fast charge as a can't kill my redmi note 3 battery in a day. Not interested in Nfc as tesco pay app, plus other outlets around use alternative payments like PayPal ect. Type c would be handy but I'll just have to try to plug in 3 times every time I charge and keep swapping around until it goes In.. Not a deal breaker.. No band 20 though.. That's me done for
Edited by: "wayners" 15th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions