Groups

Truly Horrible Facebook Prank!

not sure how it's done and two of my friends have been taken in by it but If you receive a request combined with a sob story about cancer DO NOT do as the post asks and cut/paste it into your timeline.
    The messages are carefully crafted so anyone distracted will not get the fact they are basically announcing on their timeline "they" have cancer.
    maybe others know about this maybe not but tell everyone you feel maybe susceptible to this nasty trick.

27 Comments

Original Poster

BTW The current one starts off with something along the lines of
    "i sit here with tears in my eyes"

Banned

So what are you saying? people are copying and pasting things they haven't even read?

Probably do them good.

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

So what are you saying? people are copying and pasting things they … So what are you saying? people are copying and pasting things they haven't even read?Probably do them good.

As i said it's carefully crafted and draws people in, not everyone reads things the same way. and it's their friends and family that are affected much more.

Change your privacy settings so that only people you know can message you. Problem solved.

Edited by: "A1512" 17th Aug 2016

Banned

maddogb

As i said it's carefully crafted and draws people in, not everyone reads … As i said it's carefully crafted and draws people in, not everyone reads things the same way. and it's their friends and family that are affected much more.

It is all a bit comical not cancer of course but dimwits.

Aiden1512

Change your privacy settings on that only people out know can message … Change your privacy settings on that only people out know can message you. Problem solved.

stop posting **** on facebook. problem solved!

they have facebook, they have cancer.

Not that I use Facebook, but thanks for the heads-up maddogb. It might help somebody

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

maybe you should take your own advice and read carefully, it's crafted to be deceptive and takes in those who skim read.

Aiden1512

Change your privacy settings so that only people out know can message … Change your privacy settings so that only people out know can message you. Problem solved.

again it's "carefully crafted" and becomes semi viral so people post it "on their timelines" .... if we could get your message to everyone who hasn't done this life would be perfect and my warning wouldn't be needed.

Banned

MrScotchBonnet

Aiden1512

Change your privacy settings so that only people out know can message … Change your privacy settings so that only people out know can message you. Problem solved.

It's all irrelevant until we have some context. Do you have access to the whole post?

I didn't mean to post in this thread, but I was "distracted".

Looks like a tough crowd in here tonight

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

It's all irrelevant until we have some context. Do you have access to the … It's all irrelevant until we have some context. Do you have access to the whole post?

not irrelevant at all, just a warning for people to do as you advise and read carefully if they receive anything remotely similar, i did do a google on it but nothing yet.

Banned

maddogb

not irrelevant at all, just a warning for people to do as you advise and … not irrelevant at all, just a warning for people to do as you advise and read carefully if they receive anything remotely similar, i did do a google on it but nothing yet.

I was referring to the ''crafted carefully to be deceptive'' part. Without reading it, I can't agree with you. Although most who can read it should be fairly straight forward to understand.

I know the people you mean though, the ones who copy and paste anything they can. ''Share this post to win a £100 Argos voucher and say thank you Argos''

Those people are mainly single mums. OK for a quick laugh, but swiftly blocked.

Banned

EN1GMA

https://31.media.tumblr.com/99451f0cf64544c65e8e4aae784861e2/tumblr_inline_neio7dWuND1rkygkg.gif

No link or copy and paste of the message?

thanks for the heads up maddogb.

MrScotchBonnet

maddogb

maybe you should take your own advice and read carefully, it's crafted to … maybe you should take your own advice and read carefully, it's crafted to be deceptive and takes in those who skim read.

http://i.imgur.com/zu7Y9E0.jpg

screenshot of it please.

EN1GMA

Where are the bouncers when you need them X)

Banned

summerof76

Where are the bouncers when you need them X)

https://media.giphy.com/media/PV9t4AJL5UweI/giphy.gif

Unfortunately the OP highlights 2 things which are a sign of the times.

1) The gradual desensitising of usually upsetting topics (cancer in this case)
    2) The follow-the-crowd copypasting of social media which is usually devoid of any thought process.

MrScotchBonnet

Scary spice X)

That folks is one of many reasons why I don't use Facebook, Twitter etc . too many strange and nasty things going on, I prefer it here with the friendly peeps

loumar76

That folks is one of many reasons why I don't use Facebook, Twitter etc … That folks is one of many reasons why I don't use Facebook, Twitter etc . too many strange and nasty things going on, I prefer it here with the friendly peeps

I don't the other sites either as too much of this youtube.com/wat…1Io X)

face book can be a very nasty place, thats why I hardly ever use

thanks for the heads up

Banned

WARNING-
    Between 8-10am Sunday morning after a small bathroom window had been opened my house was nearly broken into. We didn't realise until later on in the day when we found the largest window which never gets opened slightly ajar, after checking the outside we have marks on the windowsill and today a yellow mark has been found directly under the window that was tampered with which is clear to see from the outside road. Everybody be vigilant with your windows and doors, our Windows are always closed and locked throughout the night so this must've happened early morning. Keep a close eye on pets and obviously your children when out playing!

Just seen someone post this, deleted them swiftly.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early44
      2. DashCam Recommendation With Front And Rear Camera Built In22
      3. £1500 55 inch 4K TV56
      4. SCS add ons... are they worth it??48

See more discussions