Groups

Truly Uncanny Optical Illusion

OK, what would you say?

That the colours of square A and B are different ... ?

This is possibly one of the most uncanny optical illusions in existence. No matter how hard you look, you may not be able to convince yourself that the two squares are the identical shade of grey.

33 Comments

Original Poster

http://www.optical-illusion.net/img/uncanny1.jpg

Don't believe they are same colour, then click the link below.
    optical-illusion.net/img…jpg

So how come that A also appears to be the same colour as the squares to the right and left of B?

wow !!! never seen anything like it .....:?

Original Poster

chesso;1658222

So how come that A also appears to be the same colour as the square to … So how come that A also appears to be the same colour as the square to the right of B?

Your guess ia as good as mine. Apparently it is a true illusion cause by the green thing on the board.

Im colour blind and I cannot see it! Am i missing something?

I think I get it . The green cylinder just makes the shadow. The white letter A and the dark letter B means that we see the colours of the backgrounds of the lettered squares as darker or lighter than they really are. Good. I can have my afternoon nap now!:thumbsup:

futura;1658251

Newcastle - all black and white!

Welcome futura

Original Poster

futura;1658251

Did you click the link?

the optical illusion that does my head in, is the Hermann-grid, sheesh

Some people are so easily led, like sheep.

A and b are completely different colours, but the graduations from one to the other have been done very fine to appear like the same colour.

Some people believe every thing they read

Here is a better one which is a few years old now

http://www.eyetricks.com/jesus.gif

Stare at the four black dots in the center of the image for 30 - 60 seconds.
    Then quickly close your eyes and look at something bright (like a lamp or a window
    with sunlight coming through it). You should see a white circle with an image inside it.

[pcfairs]Some people are so easily led, like sheep.
    A and b are completely different colours, but the graduations from one to the other have been done very fine to appear like the same colour.
    Some people believe every thing they read]

kids.niehs.nih.gov/ill…htm

Well i was warned at a tender age that excessive viewing of internet material of a certain variety would make me go blind - I just didnt realise the activity in question was trying to figure out crazy optical illusions like this, ha!

chesso;1658348

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/illusion/illusions.htm

first real illusion on here is very strange

heres another one for believers, again quite old now but still good

Takes a few seconds to load

realmagic.net/dp/…htm

I am so untrusting - I keep thinking that something is going to jump out at me! :-D

So come one - who has seen the 'V W' advert?

pcfairs;1658317

Some people are so easily led, like sheep.A and b are completely … Some people are so easily led, like sheep.A and b are completely different colours, but the graduations from one to the other have been done very fine to appear like the same colour.

You do realise that when you put that illusion into Photoshop and use the eyedropper tool, the two shades of grey in both A and B are exactly the same.

pcfairs;1658317

Some people are so easily led, like sheep.A and b are completely … Some people are so easily led, like sheep.A and b are completely different colours, but the graduations from one to the other have been done very fine to appear like the same colour.Some people believe every thing they read

You are wrong, I have just photoshopped the two squares and they are identical in their CMYK breakdown.

fwibble;1658380

Can hardly believe your eyes can you?:-D

I am having a midgets in a balloon moment !

midgets!

Original Poster

pcfairs;1658399

heres another one for believers, again quite old now but still goodTakes … heres another one for believers, again quite old now but still goodTakes a few seconds to loadhttp://www.realmagic.net/dp/1-1.htm

Seen this before. Only works about 25% of time for me. Still like to know how it works though.

Original Poster

JimmyW;1659025

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/925105/lightness_illusion/Video explaining … http://www.metacafe.com/watch/925105/lightness_illusion/Video explaining it, well kinda

Brilliant! Will it convince the sceptics on this thread though?

I just saved the pic (from the original post, NOT the link) onto my desktop and opened it in Wondows Picture Manager then ramped up the brightness to 100% and worked my way down to 50% and it seems that square A is darker than square B. When you do the same with the link then they both 'appear' at the same time, the one in the link looks like it has been doctored from the original from what i can see.

I'm guessing the illusion plays on the way we perceive shade and the one in the link does look convincing, it's just doesn't seem to be the same as the original.

Money Spinning;1658759

You are wrong, I have just photoshopped the two squares and they are … You are wrong, I have just photoshopped the two squares and they are identical in their CMYK breakdown.

Oops, didn't see your post, will bow to your better analysis...but it's helluva convincing! :w00t:

Predikuesi;1661019

Seen this before. Only works about 25% of time for me. Still like to know … Seen this before. Only works about 25% of time for me. Still like to know how it works though.

It works everytime! It just does a simple bit of maths to get you to a multimple of 9, you'll notice that the symbols are all the same for multiples of 9.

fwibble;1658380

From that site.

f your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot,
    the dots will remain only one color, pink.

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/images/illusions/pinkdots.gif

However if you stare at the black "+ in the center, the moving dots turns to green.

Now, concentrate on the black "+" in the center of the picture. After a short period, all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see only a single green dot rotating.

It's amazing how our brain works. There really is no green dot, and the pink ones really don't disappear. This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see.

Pretty cool.

I've got a headache!!!! :?

Try moving your head (while focusing on the black cross) towards or away from the screen with this one and you'll see a whole circle of green dots either inside or outside the pink ones, pretty cool!

This one works on the principle of when you see a colour for a few seconds and then it's taken away then it's replaced by the complementary colour, in this case pink/green. It's explained in detail here:

michaelbach.de/ot/…tml

thanks chesso...much....headache coming....and actually feel sort of sea sick from that link.

Agent_Silver;1662181

thanks chesso...much....headache coming....and actually feel sort of sea … thanks chesso...much....headache coming....and actually feel sort of sea sick from that link.

Ginger tablets are supposed to be the thing to take but I don't think that you can get them anywhere except France - don't ask me why.
    So, sorry but nothing but suffering for you!;-)

chesso;1663535

Ginger tablets are supposed to be the thing to take but I don't think … Ginger tablets are supposed to be the thing to take but I don't think that you can get them anywhere except France - don't ask me why.So, sorry but nothing but suffering for you!;-)

got some ginger biscuits do you think that'll work:)

Idont quite have a headache but my eyes dont seem to want to focus
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Iphone 6 to which handset?22
      2. Cheap northface alternatives?44
      3. Does the app aznog still work?25
      4. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?614

See more discussions