Groups

Trump flag burning must have consequences

Donald J. TrumpVerified account [email protected] 11h11 hours ago
    Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!

58 Comments

Original Poster

The only problem is this would mean changing the 1st amendment as its protected by freedom of speech.

Isn't it actually illegal to burn the flag in the US? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere.
    Edited by: "SJHan" 29th Nov 2016

The Supreme Court has twice affirmed the right to desecrate the American flag as a form of free speech -- a historically contentious issue -- in cases before the high court in 1989 and 1990.
    In the 1989 case "Texas v. Johnson," the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that flag burning was a form of "symbolic speech" protected by the First Amendment. The ruling came after an appeal from Gregory Johnson, who had been convicted by a Texas court of violating a state law that prohibited the "desecration of a venerated object" such as the US flag.
    The following year, in "United states v. Eichman," the top court again affirmed the right to burn the flag when it ruled 5-4 that the Flag Protection Act of 1989 -- passed by Congress in response to the Johnson decision -- was unconstitutional.

Still, banning flag-burning has drawn mainstream support before. The Flag Protection Act of 1989 was supported at the time by President George H.W. Bush, before it was ruled unconstitutional, and the Flag Protection Act of 2005, another failed attempt to criminalize flag burning, was co-sponsored by then-Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Original Poster

stuarthanley

Isn't it actually illegal to burn the flag on the US? I'm sure I've heard … Isn't it actually illegal to burn the flag on the US? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere.

Thats what i just typed and the scary thing is in January after the inauguration he will have the football( gulp)

Original Poster

The point is he is literally just tweeting off the cuff not realizing the constitutional consequences

Banned

archer1204

Thats what i just typed and the scary thing is in January after the … Thats what i just typed and the scary thing is in January after the inauguration he will have the football( gulp)

He may have the football but it doesnt mean he knows how to play with it...

He will just take the ball home in a huff

Think about it, making it a crime to burn a piece of coloured fabric, crazy world we live in, and this is from a so called 1st world civilised society.

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

He may have the football but it doesnt mean he knows how to play with … He may have the football but it doesnt mean he knows how to play with it...He will just take the ball home in a huff

As long as he doesn't do anything stupid with the football and just hands it onto the next person intact

Banned

haritori

Think about it, making it a crime to burn a piece of coloured fabric, … Think about it, making it a crime to burn a piece of coloured fabric, crazy world we live in, and this is from a so called 1st world civilised society.

There would be outcry in England if a bunch of extremists burnt our flag outside Parliament

I think if you live in a country and want to burn it's flag, you really shouldn't be living there for your own sake.

Banned

archer1204

As long as he doesn't do anything stupid with the football and just … As long as he doesn't do anything stupid with the football and just hands it onto the next person intact

I am still betting on a quick assassination, so long as he isnt handling the ball at the time & the ball being in danger... All will be good.

Original Poster

He will in the next few years have the say over the next few supreme court of justices and then they will have the balance then all bets are off the table anything can get passed.

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

There would be outcry in England if a bunch of extremists burnt our flag … There would be outcry in England if a bunch of extremists burnt our flag outside Parliament

http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/197066/protesters-storm-british-embassy-iran.jpg
    http://en.europenews.dk/_ws/mediabase/_ts_1434707047000/archive/files/Muslims_Burn_Union_Jack.jpg
    Edited by: "archer1204" 29th Nov 2016

YouDontWantToKnow

There would be outcry in England if a bunch of extremists burnt our flag … There would be outcry in England if a bunch of extremists burnt our flag outside Parliament

Yeah suppose your right, we are all too fickle I guess :(.

archer1204

Lovely, it inspires me to burn the Qur'an.

Banned

archer1204

Iran

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

Iran

london 2004 http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00109/81870092_extremists_109519c.jpg

Banned

archer1204

london 2004

Yep. Outcry & probably jailed for benefit fraud

archer1204

Thats what i just typed and the scary thing is in January after the … Thats what i just typed and the scary thing is in January after the inauguration he will have the football( gulp)

The guy has successfully dealt with all kinds of shady characters be they businessmen, regimes, politicians all across the world for decades. Romney was against him all the way, yet he's considering taking him on as SOS. He's not a despot or dictator...he's a businessman.

Yet delicate flowers actually think he's going to unlock the case & press the red button...it ain't ever going to happen unless the American mainland was attacked by a foreign power. Even then, they'd most likely use conventional weapons to send said country back to the stone age.

Clinton wanted to establish an immediate no fly zone over Syria. Which would mean attacking Russian jets. What do you think would have happened there! She also wanted to go into conflict with the Iranians. World is far safer with Trump than Clinton. Heck, Obozo also bombed 7 nations in his 8 years at the helm. The only nations that should fear Trump are China & Mexico because he's looking to take jobs away from them & send them back to America.

Although it is free speech as per US courts IMHO if you burn a national flag you are showing disrespect to that nation and if you are a citizen of that nation your citizenship should be revoked (irrespective of your nationality) and you should be forced to leave and find your own country/support

The majority of these flag burners don't work and don't give back to society or are of the snowflake generation or immigrants. Just a pity conscription was cancelled which would teach these scumbags about respect and hard work.

And remember I said "IMHO"

Banned

philphil61

Although it is free speech as per US courts IMHO if you burn a national … Although it is free speech as per US courts IMHO if you burn a national flag you are showing disrespect to that nation

In England it is breech of the peace at least.

archer1204

He will in the next few years have the say over the next few supreme … He will in the next few years have the say over the next few supreme court of justices and then they will have the balance then all bets are off the table anything can get passed.

Understanding of American politics/judiciary -10
    Edited by: "RossD89" 29th Nov 2016

Original Poster

RossD89

Understanding of American politics -10

Explain further then

stuarthanley

Isn't it actually illegal to burn the flag in the US? I'm sure I've heard … Isn't it actually illegal to burn the flag in the US? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere.

Many police for es have a day set aside each year for citizens to take "retired" flags where there're burned. Retired flags are tatty and not deemed suitable to represent the nation. ironically made in China no doubt.

Banned

archer1204

Explain further then

Bringing in new laws - easy

Changing old laws - very difficult

Original Poster

RossD89

Understanding of American politics/judiciary -10

Who is the highest court in USA

Banned

archer1204

Who is the highest court in USA

Supreme

But first you need to get it through 2 houses (like ours) which both adamant they will not violate the Bill of Rights

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

Supreme But first you need to get it through 2 houses (like ours) which … Supreme But first you need to get it through 2 houses (like ours) which both adamant they will not violate the Bill of Rights

Why are you answering for Ross

archer1204

Explain further then

Okay.

From what you said it seems like you don't have much knowledge of American politics and the American Judiciary system

Would you like to expand on what you said?

Original Poster

RossD89

Okay.From what you said it seems like you don't have much knowledge of … Okay.From what you said it seems like you don't have much knowledge of American politics and the American Judiciary systemWould you like to expand on what you said?

So enlighten me then

Banned

archer1204

Why are you answering for Ross

My bad?

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

My bad?

No offence but still waiting on Ross

archer1204

So enlighten me then

How can I enlighten you on what you said when you haven't enlightened me?

archer1204

No offence but still waiting on Ross

It's okay, I have answered and I am now waiting on you after you tried to deflect.

Original Poster

RossD89

Okay.From what you said it seems like you don't have much knowledge of … Okay.From what you said it seems like you don't have much knowledge of American politics and the American Judiciary systemWould you like to expand on what you said?

What Did John Boehner say about SCOTUS and the POTUS?

Original Poster

RossD89

It's okay, I have answered and I am now waiting on you after you tried … It's okay, I have answered and I am now waiting on you after you tried to deflect.

Is that what you call answering by asking me a question

Original Poster

RossD89

It's okay, I have answered and I am now waiting on you after you tried … It's okay, I have answered and I am now waiting on you after you tried to deflect.

Are you going to answer my question

archer1204

Is that what you call answering by asking me a question

This is the first question which you have asked me.

What other answers should I have provided?

Original Poster

RossD89

This is the first question which you have asked me.What other answers … This is the first question which you have asked me.What other answers should I have provided?

Well are you going to answer it i thought it was straightforward

archer1204

Well are you going to answer it i thought it was straightforward

It would be if you told me what you want answering...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917266
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31154
      3. Weekly game codes giveaway 182722
      4. Find out how good your GP surgery is1010

See more discussions