Found 20th Oct 2010
can i spray some wd40 or something on it, it is stuck in off postition when you turn it to full the bit inside doesnt move, sorry i hope that makes sense

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

Banned

What's a TRV?

Original Poster Banned

DLM

What's a TRV?

a thermostatic radiator valve

Original Poster Banned

jellybaby22

wd40 will work if it just sticking.... happens in my house all the … wd40 will work if it just sticking.... happens in my house all the time... (dont need a new house though VB1..I live in a new build )

thanks JB, not sure if it is sticking or knackered, two are like it, may as well just take them off really as they are never turned down to a lower setting

Banned

Is your house privately rented?

Original Poster Banned

DLM

Is your house privately rented?

now that all depends on who you ask - lol

but no it isnt

WD40 will only sort it for a short while, then it will happen again. You'll also need to give it a smack with a hammer to free it up.

You will need to get new good quality ones in the long term.

Banned

sassie

now that all depends on who you ask - lolbut no it isnt

I thought you might be able to get someone to do it for you for free.

Oh well!

Original Poster Banned

moob

WD40 will only sort it for a short while, then it will happen again. … WD40 will only sort it for a short while, then it will happen again. You'll also need to give it a smack with a hammer to free it up.You will need to get new good quality ones in the long term.

well wd40 hasnt done anything, will leave off and get some new ones, possibly replace them all, as they are pretty old

Original Poster Banned

how do you know which ones are good quality? by price alone?

They are expensive if you buy quality ones - and if you need quite a few replaced.

Screwfix sell good ones, get advice of the guy at the counter on which are best.

Problem is that when plumbers install new systems, they rarely fit good TRV's just cheap ones like I've got on mine.

I think the ones I looked into were Danfos brand.

Original Poster Banned

thank moob, i dont need to replace pipework do i? they all the same fitting arent they?

maybe best take old one with me oO
Edited by: "sassie" 20th Oct 2010

The workings of these valves are very simple and in most cases they stop working not because they are cheap, but because they have been left in one position for too long and have clogged up with dust etc.

You should either try and push it down, using a coin or something to put pressure on the top if it is stuck up or try and pull it up with pliers if it is stuck in. Make sure you don't bend it in the process and once it starts moving move it up and down manually until it is moving free (WD40 can help or better still silicon spray).

The same goes for ordinary radiator valves which should never be turned all one way, but always turned a quarter back whether opening or closing (obviously unless you are removing the radiator). It is also good practice to move them once or twice a year.

I am not saying you should not go for the better quality valve as it should work more accurately etc, but that normally you can get these sticking valves working again adequately and plan for replacement at a convenient time.
Edited by: "Plum" 20th Oct 2010

Original Poster Banned

it is stuck down, meaning the rad is off, when pushing up it does go up but it wont stay up it just springs back down, so deffo knackered

From the diynot site Sassie

Thermostatic Radiator Valves sticking shut.
Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRVs) frequently stick in the shut position, resulting in radiators remaining cold. They are likely to stick if left turned off for long periods.

TRVs should not normally be turned to the off or 0 setting, unless the radiator is being removed. It is usually sufficient to turn them down a little, say to setting 1 or 2.

To free a stuck TRV, first remove the plastic head from the brass body. This is usually done by unscrewing a knurled ring or nut, but some TRVs (e.g. Danfoss, Giacomini) have other fixing methods.

When the head is removed, you will see a small pin projecting from the valve body. Normally this can be pressed in (using a flat side of some tool to apply pressure) against spring pressure. On release it will spring back to its original position.

If the pin does not move, the inner part of the valve (the jumper) is probably stuck shut. To free it, apply pressure to the pin as described above, then release, then apply pressure again. Keep repeating this procedure until the pin starts to move.

You can tap with a hammer to free the pin, but not too hard or you may damage the pin or valve. Do not pull the pin out or water may escape and it may be difficult to refit the pin. In most cases it is not the pin itself that is sticking, but the inner mechanism, so pulling the pin has no effect.

Once some movement occurs a few more applications of pressure will return it to its normal state. Open the head to the highest setting and refit.

http://www.diynot.com/wiki/plumbing:thermostatic_radiator_valves_-_trvs

Original Poster Banned

hey gari thanks for that, i take it by the pin you mean the pin thats on the pipe, the one that if pushed down shuts off the rad? if thats what it means it isnt that thats stuck, its the trv

sorry if i am misreading it, but the only pin i can see is when the trv is removed and its part of the pipe thats left on rad, not the trv
Edited by: "sassie" 20th Oct 2010

sassie

it is stuck down, meaning the rad is off, when pushing up it does go up … it is stuck down, meaning the rad is off, when pushing up it does go up but it wont stay up it just springs back down, so deffo knackered

Just checking. Getting confused with the terms. Forgetting up and down, pushing the metal pin in turns off the radiator off or reduces the temp. when the pin comes out it is opening the valve.

helpful illustration

Original Poster Banned

it is not the pin in the rad pipe thing that is stuck, it is the trv is stuck in the off postition, when you turn the trv to say number 6, the hard pices inside goes up higher so the pin in the pipe goes up and turns rad on, that bit does not mnow move when you turn it to whatever number

jeeze i am not making much sense, sorry i dont know the terms for these things

sassie

hey gari thanks for that, i take it by the pin you mean the pin thats on … hey gari thanks for that, i take it by the pin you mean the pin thats on the pipe, the one that if pushed down shuts off the rad? if thats what it means it isnt that thats stuck, its the trvsorry if i am misreading it, but the only pin i can see is when the trv is removed and its part of the pipe thats left on rad, not the trv

sassie, if you remove the trv you will have water coming out of the pipe. If you have removed the (usually) plastic cap it is just the mechanism for adjusting the trv. The actual trv is in the metal body that is attached to the radiator and to the pipework.

You can see how it works in my previous link. it is the pin that is part of the trv and this is part of the mechanism of the trv that may be seized.

Original Poster Banned

right sorry, i have removed the plastic head, it is this bit that is not working. i thought it was the heads that where called the trv

sassie

right sorry, i have removed the plastic head, it is this bit that is not … right sorry, i have removed the plastic head, it is this bit that is not working. i thought it was the heads that where called the trv

Well I guess it is the whole mechanism, but the actual valve is in the metal body is usually what siezes up. Unusual for the actual outer mechanism to cause problems.

So if you leave the end off your radiator works. In the short term you can adjust the flow using the normal valve on the other end.

Original Poster Banned

Plum

Well I guess it is the whole mechanism, but the actual valve is in the … Well I guess it is the whole mechanism, but the actual valve is in the metal body is usually what siezes up. Unusual for the actual outer mechanism to cause problems. So if you leave the end off your radiator works. In the short term you can adjust the flow using the normal valve on the other end.

i aint touching nothing, will just leave them off and try and get some new heads, i kept thinking what bleeding pin they on about, i always thought it was the head i took off thats the trv - gawd im such a muppet

thanks for all your help though

sassie

i aint touching nothing, will just leave them off and try and get some … i aint touching nothing, will just leave them off and try and get some new heads, i kept thinking what bleeding pin they on about, i always thought it was the head i took off thats the trv - gawd im such a muppetthanks for all your help though

Fair enough although leaving the head off is no different from turning the setting up to max. Partly my fault as I assumed the problem was in the body rather that the thermostatic head.

good luck sorting it.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769542
    2. Add one, leave one game54415458
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428214657
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247654

See more discussions