Trying to apply for a job at Tesco

Posted 29th May
Looking for part time work as as a customer delivery driver - not as a replacement for James Bond. Got to prove I am entitled to work in this country. I have nothing on the list , except maybe a birth certificate somewhere.
I have driving licence, Driver Qualification Card, full CRB, Base access to American bases in the UK (including the tactical base, which hasn't got nuclear weapons on it . Very hard to get for a UK citizen, need to pass checks by FBI).
I still can't prove my right to work in the UK. Here's what they ask for

3474184-DIFQT.jpg
The only people who can provide the majority of this evidence is non UK nationals. Is this a form of discrimination or am I thinking to deeply?
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
Is it not too much to ask you to have a look for your Birth Certificate?
It's a government list, not specific to Tesco:
gov.uk/gov…ist

A UK issued Passport is sufficient - do you not have one of these?
Do you not know your national insurance number, or a p60 from last job will have it on. Don’t you have a passport??

phone there HR department they will advise..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 29th May
Birth certificate + driving licence would suffice. It's normal to have a birth certificate and you can request a new copy if you can't find it (for a fee).
Bargainhead29/05/2020 17:18

Do you not know your national insurance number, or a p60 from last job …Do you not know your national insurance number, or a p60 from last job will have it on. Don’t you have a passport??phone there HR department they will advise..

I know my national insurance number by heart - I have never had a national insurance card. 64 years old.
IamMT29/05/2020 17:13

Is it not too much to ask you to have a look for your Birth Certificate?

Yes, it's Just not something I have to hand. All these other things (particularly the American base pass) have identity checks, burr they aren't acceptable.
Ringfinger29/05/2020 18:17

I know my national insurance number by heart - I have never had a national …I know my national insurance number by heart - I have never had a national insurance card. 64 years old.

you get your card when you leave school, i know my card will be in loft somewhere lol for the last 30 years....

a p60 had NI number on and if you ring they will probalby accept that, also passport...

ring HR they will advise, every thing seems to much trouble when people on here answer you...

to get your base ID you keep mentioning you must of used your passport and that is on the list...
Ringfinger29/05/2020 18:19

Yes, it's Just not something I have to hand. All these other things …Yes, it's Just not something I have to hand. All these other things (particularly the American base pass) have identity checks, burr they aren't acceptable.

Identity is not the same as citizenship.
Bargainhead29/05/2020 18:29

you get your card when you leave school, i know my card will be in loft …you get your card when you leave school, i know my card will be in loft somewhere lol for the last 30 years.... a p60 had NI number on and if you ring they will probalby accept that, also passport...ring HR they will advise, every thing seems to much trouble when people on here answer you...to get your base ID you keep mentioning you must of used your passport and that is on the list...

National Insurance cards weren't introduced until mid 80's. Before that we were given little brown bits of card with numbers on and the instructions to "memorise it. It will be important one day". I memorised it (how come I remember that and my first girlfriend's phone number from over 50 years ago, yet I can't remember what I had for tea least night or where I put my glasses?)
Can't ring HR, can't find number. All employment goes through this online agency thing. Ironically I worked for Tesco nearly 30 years ago, helping design open and run a bakery in a new store.
The checks for Base pass entailed proving my identity, citizenship, criminal checks plus the status of all my parents and grandparents. All double checked by American Intelligence. They even came back to me to inform me that my great grandmother in my mother's side was a naturalised German - which I didn't know. Looking at the dates it would appear that the family moved to England at the end of the 1st works war (1966, and all that didn't have the same meaning now. Well, ok it does ). Getting the base pass it's notoriously difficult and refused for the most minor of reasons ad anyone who has tried to get one will confirm. The 'tactical' base even more so.
Going to just drop in to the Local Extra and have a chat.
Good luck with dropping in to your local extra for a chat,with all the questions you have,(p.s leave your gun at home).
1850maggie30/05/2020 01:23

Good luck with dropping in to your local extra for a chat,with all the …Good luck with dropping in to your local extra for a chat,with all the questions you have,(p.s leave your gun at home).

If he's got a gun, he must have shown some ID to get it
Ringfinger30/05/2020 00:42

National Insurance cards weren't introduced until mid 80's. Before that we …National Insurance cards weren't introduced until mid 80's. Before that we were given little brown bits of card with numbers on and the instructions to "memorise it. It will be important one day". I memorised it (how come I remember that and my first girlfriend's phone number from over 50 years ago, yet I can't remember what I had for tea least night or where I put my glasses?)Can't ring HR, can't find number. All employment goes through this online agency thing. Ironically I worked for Tesco nearly 30 years ago, helping design open and run a bakery in a new store. The checks for Base pass entailed proving my identity, citizenship, criminal checks plus the status of all my parents and grandparents. All double checked by American Intelligence. They even came back to me to inform me that my great grandmother in my mother's side was a naturalised German - which I didn't know. Looking at the dates it would appear that the family moved to England at the end of the 1st works war (1966, and all that didn't have the same meaning now. Well, ok it does ). Getting the base pass it's notoriously difficult and refused for the most minor of reasons ad anyone who has tried to get one will confirm. The 'tactical' base even more so. Going to just drop in to the Local Extra and have a chat.

You still have not said about your passport even though people have mentioned it quite a few times.. no offence but going on about the base pass is tiresome no one cares we tried to help you, but there is always a problem...

email them a 5 second google search sorted it. But you would of seen this to apply.

What if I have a general question, or I need help that isn't given in this help section?We have three email addresses to support you as a candidate:

Want to help?Please email us on resourcing.team@uk.tesco.com if you would like to tell us of any display issues you are having not mentioned above. Please remember to include the operating system name and version along with the device make/model, as well as the issue that you have including a screenshot if you would like to.

If you email any of them they will help or point you in the right direction....

recruitment email,

Resourcing.Team@uk.tesco.com..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 30th May
Bargainhead30/05/2020 05:39

You still have not said about your passport even though people have …You still have not said about your passport even though people have mentioned it quite a few times.. no offence but going on about the base pass is tiresome no one cares we tried to help you, but there is always a problem...email them a 5 second google search sorted it. But you would of seen this to apply. What if I have a general question, or I need help that isn't given in this help section?We have three email addresses to support you as a candidate:If you have a question regarding roles in our Stores and Distribution Centres, please contact us via recruitment.centraladminteam@uk.tesco.comIf you have question regarding roles in our Office, or if you have a general question about roles at Tesco, please contact us using resourcing.team@uk.tesco.comFor queries relating to graduate, school leaver or apprenticeship programmes, please email: apprenticeshipandgraduaterecruitment@uk.tesco.comWant to help?Please email us on resourcing.team@uk.tesco.com if you would like to tell us of any display issues you are having not mentioned above. Please remember to include the operating system name and version along with the device make/model, as well as the issue that you have including a screenshot if you would like to. If you email any of them they will help or point you in the right direction....recruitment email,Resourcing.Team@uk.tesco.com..

Thanks for those links, didn't see them. Will try them now. Every link I've tried before says to apply on line.
Passport is expired, was going to renew it but as in a coach driver and unlikely to need it for at least a year I haven't bothered. Sorry about being tedious about base pass, just seems a lot of fading about to deliver some sprouts.
Ringfinger30/05/2020 14:08

Thanks for those links, didn't see them. Will try them now. Every link …Thanks for those links, didn't see them. Will try them now. Every link I've tried before says to apply on line. Passport is expired, was going to renew it but as in a coach driver and unlikely to need it for at least a year I haven't bothered. Sorry about being tedious about base pass, just seems a lot of fading about to deliver some sprouts.

i hope you get sorted, if tesco dosent work out maybe an angency will have some driving jobs or other supermakets..
Post a comment
@
    Text