Groups

Trying to find a sporty diesel estate

I currently have a Seat Toledo TDI Sport 150 which has been a great car, it's reasonably nippy, it's enjoyable to drive and it's very economical to run. The problem is that it's a saloon, up until now the dog has just sat in the passenger footwell but sadly he's passed away and that's not a viable solution for the new puppy. I'm looking for something as close to the current car but in estate form but having a tough time.

The obvious choice is the Skoda Octavia VRS, it's much the same car and available at a good price however it has a very high lip at the back which makes it difficult for a dog to get in and out of. Its Superb stablemate has a nice level boot but it's no sports car, the Leon FR is only available in hatchback form and it has a large lip as does the bigger Exeo. The new Toledo is neither sporty nor has a level rear.

Going outside the VAG stable, the Focus and Astra both have good level access but neither offer particularly sporty diesel versions. The BMW 320D looks great all round but it has a large lip limiting access to the boot. Many of the MPVs have good access to their boots but they're not well suited to being sporty cars due to their higher sides. I'm not interested in french cars and would prefer not to go any larger than the Golf/Astra/Focus size but I can't seem to find anything which matches my requirements.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    John

37 Comments

Skoda Octavia VRS - Can't go wrong mate.

My mate has a Skoda Fabia VRS. Solid car. - Get it remapped.

Original Poster

I would buy the Octavia in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact it's virtually useless for carrying a dog....

John

No idea about the car, but just wanted to say sorry to hear about your dog. I've seen you mention in a few previous threads about the health problems that you have been dealing with, so it must be very sad now that he/she has finally gone.

Hope you find a car that both you and your new puppy agree on

How about a SAAB 93 or 95 they are great and a friend has had his for 4 years to tow a horse box and it pulls like a demon and has only needed tyres and bulbs for MOT's.

Original Poster

That's a great suggestion, I knew there was something I was missing and that was Saab - the 9-3 has a proper boot and it's available in a 180bhp twin turbo diesel. Will start looking into them further.

John

Also have a look at volvo v50 estates,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5e/Volvo_V50_front_20080202.jpg/800px-Volvo_V50_front_20080202.jpg

Audi rs6?

Hows about the audi a4 avant

Banned

I carry two working dogs , a GSD and Springer, and I have a 2.0l turbo astra estate, top notch, plenty of room in the rear for the two hooligans.

If your think of buying a new car consider a Lintran box to protect the inside of your vehicle from the dog hairs and muddy paws..

I have looked at others as thinking of trading in

my thoughts so far

5 series BMW.. boot space ok but not brilliant
    Audi avant ... NO WAY Jose..
    VW passat ... Massive boot space
    Vauxhall Vextra Massive Boot space

some ideas for you

any further info you need give me a shout as I have had working dogs and need an estate vehicle for the last 14yrs

Banned

i would also throw the new subaru legacy/outback tourer/estate into the mix

unlikeothercars.com/leg…cy/

http://www.scoobyblog.com/uploads/2009/10/subaru-legacy-2010-01.jpg

Audi A4 Avant :thumbsup:

Stay with SEAT & buy a Bocanegra

Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm starting to get a bit dizzy looking through the hordes of reviews...the Passat class of cars is probably a bit big and the Ibiza a bit small, I'm not sure where the V50 fits in but may go and take a look at one. The Octavia looks like it might be back on the cards as I've found a picture of one with a sliding box arrangement in the boot which levels it, while the rear entry is still high at least not having the lip would make it easier for the dog to jump in and out of.

John

Banned

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/4923/images/hyundai_i30_estate_2_560px.jpg

http://www.autoweb.co.uk/compupix/hyundai-i30-hatchback-diesel_521317.jpg

They are no longer those "cheap Korean Cars". I just took delivery of the saloon version. Worthy of a look if its not too small.

The blue one is the colour I bought too! (Edit - in fact I just realised - the picture is the saloon!)

Banned

guv;6723845

They are no longer those "cheap Korean Cars". I just took delivery of the … They are no longer those "cheap Korean Cars". I just took delivery of the saloon version. Worthy of a look if its not too small.The blue one is the colour I bought too! (Edit - in fact I just realised - the picture is the saloon!)

if you did decide to go for a kia i would advise looking at the ceed sporty wagon version as they are the exact same underpinnings as the i30 but they are better looking by far even tho neither set the world on fire

http://www.babez.de/kia/ceed-sporty-wagon/kia-ceed-sporty-wagon-titel.jpghttp://www.babez.de/kia/ceed-sporty-wagon/kia-ceed-sporty-wagon-th02.jpg

Wouldn't but a new Saab dirty GM motors.

Banned

John,

do you have an older dog ? as you may over look a nice car just because of the "Lip" issue when most dogs find getting into the rear of the car no fuss, most dogs look on the getting into the car as Walkies time, and mine launch themselves in..
    Have a look at the new astra estate .. very nice

Original Poster

While I'm open to any brand, the Hyundai/Kias (and most of the Japanese cars) don't offer any performance diesel engines.

John

Other option is to keep your Toledo & get it remapped & a performance clutch fitted

Just pick the puppy up & place him in the car - saved yourself 1000's & you'll have a 200bhp monster with 300lb/ft torque (with 55+mpg) !!!!!

Original Poster

It's not really practical to have the dog in the car as there's no easy way to keep him restrained and it's not great for passengers have a soaking wet and muddy dog in the car. With an estate I can seal it off fairly well and let that be a mess rather than the main compartment.

Even though Jake wasn't allowed to swim in his last year and didn't tend to get muddy he still left the front of the car quite hairy which is no good for other people in the car.

John

ok, here is the problem solver.....

When you go out with the dog (& know hes going to get muddy & wet), invite someone else, and ask them can you go in thier car !

What breed of dog is it?, My old akita could clear an 8ft fence with ease.

What about an old shape twin turbo Forester, fuel economy is dire, but performance and handling are fantastic.

If only this was diesel

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/audi_rs6_avant_03.jpg

They are so frikkin fast, my uncle had one but sold it as the needle could be seen dropping when he put the foot down plus its not really suitable for a dog.

Id recommend the volvo though one of my mates dad has one, looks sporty.

Banned

DKLS;6724553

What breed of dog is it?, My old akita could clear an 8ft fence with … What breed of dog is it?, My old akita could clear an 8ft fence with ease.What about an old shape twin turbo Forester, fuel economy is dire, but performance and handling are fantastic.

the new subaru flat 4 diesel 2.0 (boxer) 145/150 bhp, is actually an amazing engine with 350nm torque.............gone are the days of subarus guzzling juice......well sort of

my mate bought 1 a little while back although he went for the petrol in the end with the lpg conversion for an extra 2 grand to abide with london congestion charges

guv;6723845

They are no longer those "cheap Korean Cars". I just took delivery of the … They are no longer those "cheap Korean Cars". I just took delivery of the saloon version. Worthy of a look if its not too small.The blue one is the colour I bought too! (Edit - in fact I just realised - the picture is the saloon!)

not very sporty or look that good, but i'm sure there reliable

esq3585;6721225

Also have a look at volvo v50 estates,

best one so far imo

casparwhite;6724601

the new subaru flat 4 diesel 2.0 (boxer) 145/150 bhp, is actually an … the new subaru flat 4 diesel 2.0 (boxer) 145/150 bhp, is actually an amazing engine with 350nm torque.............gone are the days of subarus guzzling juice......well sort ofmy mate bought 1 a little while back although he went for the petrol in the end with the lpg conversion for an extra 2 grand to abide with london congestion charges

I cant equate a subaru and the word diesel together it just doesnt seem right.

I know I only get 23mpg on average, and 16mpg if I am having fun, but its worth it for the smile it puts on my face and that fact I can go round corners up to 30mph faster than what I used to be able to do in a mundano ST.

Banned

Johnmcl7;6724179

It's not really practical to have the dog in the car as there's no easy … It's not really practical to have the dog in the car as there's no easy way to keep him restrained and it's not great for passengers have a soaking wet and muddy dog in the car. With an estate I can seal it off fairly well and let that be a mess rather than the main compartment.Even though Jake wasn't allowed to swim in his last year and didn't tend to get muddy he still left the front of the car quite hairy which is no good for other people in the car.John

as I mentioned before try one of these Lintran boxes or similar products..as you can see from the picture they are idea for keeping your herd in one place and safe as well, easy to clean
    http://www.lintran.co.uk/imgs/products/uniersal/db7.jpg

link to site lintran.co.uk/ind…php

Banned

This is what I am looking for the Passat R36 Estate
    http://upload.moldova.org/auto/VW/VW_R36_02.jpg

Banned

dog_cop;6724997

This is what I am looking for the Passat R36 Estate

this looks better
    http://www.supercarstuning.com/_imagesfull/16-1194322897-2.jpghttp://www.supercarstuning.com/_imagesfull/16-1194322912-4.jpg

Are you a Leeds fan Caspar?

If so a white car is just about acceptable, would look better in matt black.

Banned

DKLS;6725236

Are you a Leeds fan Caspar?If so a white car is just about acceptable, … Are you a Leeds fan Caspar?If so a white car is just about acceptable, would look better in matt black.

matte black is my fav.........i posted a few pics of ferraris n stuff in another thread ages ago

just so happens the vw was white......nowt to do wi leeds:-D although i do like that audi pearlescent white colour

Original Poster

DKLS;6724553

What breed of dog is it?, My old akita could clear an 8ft fence with … What breed of dog is it?, My old akita could clear an 8ft fence with ease.What about an old shape twin turbo Forester, fuel economy is dire, but performance and handling are fantastic.

He's a cocker spaniel, the problem I found it's not much the height it's the fact that the lip makes it harder for the dog to judge the jump as it leaps expecting to land flat but instead unexpectedly landed lower. My Mum's Zafira was a similar height but entirely level which he had no trouble with but he stumbled a couple of times on my car (scratching the heck out of the bumper) which put him off trying again. I've had a look at an Octavia estate today and the lip is fairly high and it's back from the bumper which I don't think is a great design.

I am thinking of a totally different approach and instead look at buying an old cheap estate and insure it third party, there's plenty of choice and the only concern would be something reliable with a decent boot.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7;6734162

He's a cocker spaniel, the problem I found it's not much the height it's … He's a cocker spaniel, the problem I found it's not much the height it's the fact that the lip makes it harder for the dog to judge the jump as it leaps expecting to land flat but instead unexpectedly landed lower. My Mum's Zafira was a similar height but entirely level which he had no trouble with but he stumbled a couple of times on my car (scratching the heck out of the bumper) which put him off trying again. I've had a look at an Octavia estate today and the lip is fairly high and it's back from the bumper which I don't think is a great design.I am thinking of a totally different approach and instead look at buying an old cheap estate and insure it third party, there's plenty of choice and the only concern would be something reliable with a decent boot.John

pick the dog up , as its a cocker it aint that big

Original Poster

Not that big but not that pleasant when wet and muddy and difficult to get them entirely clear of the bumper without them scratching it.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7;6734227

Not that big but not that pleasant when wet and muddy and difficult to … Not that big but not that pleasant when wet and muddy and difficult to get them entirely clear of the bumper without them scratching it.John

Couldnt you get some sort of roll mat to cover the bumper when he gets in?

Original Poster

Possibly yes, some cars seem to have a sort of roll out mat for this purpose although overall it just seems too many downsides when forking out quite a bit of money. With the previous Octavia I had I just ended up taking the dog in the front as it just wasn't worth trying to stuff him in the back.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767534
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047202
      3. Cheer me up please?1440
      4. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.69

See more discussions