Trying to find a TV series from 80's...

Posted 30th Mar
Been watching some old TV programmes...

Tried to watch the new twilight zone but I just didnt find it that good - compared to say black mirror. Anyway got me thinking about the original twilight zone and watched a few episodes of that which was pretty good.

As a teenager I vaguely remember watching something similar to the twilight zone or it could've been it, but it was in colour. One particular episode involved people being sucked into a TV and I think they end up bring part of the show or something...i know its a bit vague, but it was a long time ago.

Does anyone have any idea what TV series this was. Everything I've seen from the old twilight zone is black and white. This TV series was definitely in colour. Probably on TV in the 80's?

The old twilight zone is 11 seasons and around 20 episodes a season. I don't fancy flicking through every single episode.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Tales from the crypt?

My first guess was going to be eerie Indiana too...I loved the one where people slept in tuppaware boxes to extend their lives... Class
23 Comments
Eerie, Indiana?
Tales from the crypt?

My first guess was going to be eerie Indiana too...I loved the one where people slept in tuppaware boxes to extend their lives... Class
Tales of the Unexpected? Or Quantum Leap?
There was a colour Twilight Zone series in the mid 80s, though I don't remember something like you recall.
Tales from the Darkside?
Alfred Hitchcock Presents?
Tales from the Crypt?
Sapphire & Steel?
Tales of the Unexpected?
Tales from the Crypt?
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 30th Mar
The Outer Limits?
Sounds like a segment in the Twilight Zone film from 83.
Thanks for the replies.

Didn't realise there was a 80s twilight zone!! Will look into it...

Definitely not Quantum leap or eerie Indiana. The show was late night.

Thanks again for the responses. I'll look into a few of them
There was the film and then a 80s series. Series was OK, used to be on YouTube.
Think it was tales of the unexpected
Could it of been an episode of the outer limits?
Getting sucked into the TV? - that happened in an episode of Warehouse 13
This does sound like the plot of movie Stay Tuned (1992)

The eight series of UK TV show Tales of the Unexpected primarily reflected 'real life' scenarios, and didn't involve science fiction/fantasy/supernatural, apart from in about 2 or 3 episodes, so I don't think it was from that.
People above beat me to it but I was going to say The Outer Limits, I used to watch that every week as a kid and absolutely loved it, got a funny feeling if I watched it again though it would be a let down
Not the Outer Limits, i've watched all these fairly recently and this story doesn't ring a bell.

Definitely sounds like Stay Tuned, but there was a Twilight Zone episode where a radio show becomes real around them

And, another episode where the guy finds his life has been on tv for 5 years.
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 31st Mar
Could have been the movie Pleasantville? That starts with the 2 leads being drawn into the TV...
"Special Service" Randy Bradshaw J. Michael Straczynski April 8, 1989
A man (David Naughton) finds that his life has been on TV for the past five years.
Twilight zone ?
Edited by: "AL1S0N" 31st Mar
Toon_army31/03/2020 03:24

People above beat me to it but I was going to say The Outer Limits, I used …People above beat me to it but I was going to say The Outer Limits, I used to watch that every week as a kid and absolutely loved it, got a funny feeling if I watched it again though it would be a let down

This is the exact reason I don't revisit my childhood shows, great at the time but I reckon by today's standards they'd be terrible!
bobdylan31/03/2020 09:13

This is the exact reason I don't revisit my childhood shows, great at the …This is the exact reason I don't revisit my childhood shows, great at the time but I reckon by today's standards they'd be terrible!

I hear you on that Bob! I'm so tempted to give a few old episodes a try but feel I'll be wasting my time.
I was a massive Xfiles fan and feel they're really dated as well, I noticed they were on Amazon Prime so watched about 15 episodes, I didn't realise there was so bloody many!
steve122131/03/2020 07:38

Could have been the movie Pleasantville? That starts with the 2 leads …Could have been the movie Pleasantville? That starts with the 2 leads being drawn into the TV...

Love that movie. Haven’t seen it for a while.

The plot matches the OPs description. The trailer is here:
youtube.com/wat…yt0
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 31st Mar
Toon_army31/03/2020 03:24

People above beat me to it but I was going to say The Outer Limits, I used …People above beat me to it but I was going to say The Outer Limits, I used to watch that every week as a kid and absolutely loved it, got a funny feeling if I watched it again though it would be a let down

Cheech and Chong films. Loved them as a kid, had me in stitches. But tried to watch one a few years back and it just seemed stupid!
Tales From The Darkside?
Bushes30/03/2020 23:47

Sounds like a segment in the Twilight Zone film from 83.

I thought straight away of "Twilight Zone - The Movie."

It has the story of the boy who can make anything happen that he wants and Kathleen Quinlan's character visits the family as his Teacher (I think). There's a bit in that segment where his "sister" gets zapped into the TV and chased/killed by toon characters isn't there? I think so.

I want to watch it now!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions