Groups

Trying to fix PS3 (out of warranty)

After playing up for the last 6 months or so my PS3 has finally given up on me. Instead of forking out for replacing it or getting it repaired I was hoping I could fix it myself, but wasn't sure whether it's the lens or hard drive that needs replacing.

At first the PS3 started freezing during games even more than usual, then one day it just wouldn't fully load any games, it just kept hanging on the loading screen. After ringing Sony they told me to do a full system restore as it obviously had corrupted data & afterwards things started working again. Soon after that though, games just kept freezing really frequently again. The other day, it even froze on a game downloaded from PSN. Now we've reached the point where it won't even recognise it has a PS3 game or blu ray in it, but it still plays PS1 discs & DVDs. I've tried ringing Sony & they couldn't help other than offering a re-manufactured PS3 for £134.

Please can someone help me figure out what's wrong so I can fix it myself? The kids are going crazy since it's broken.

14 Comments

i could be wrong but wasnt there information a while back on these forums over sellers on ebay offering a "replacement/swap" type program for PS3s ?

Blu-Ray reader/laser is knackered.

It sounds like the laser has gone, but not definite.
    A replacement one is about £40, or you can get a replacement console(250GB/320GB) for £100 from various sources.

Crack it open and give the laser and laser track a good clean, Also while it's open get rid of any dust that's built up with an hoover or blast of air.

Then pray.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 9th Jun 2011

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I thought it was something like that, couldn't figure out why it would also freeze on something installed to the hard disc if that was the case. Now just need to wait for my T10 screwdriver bit to arrive.

Erinath

Thanks guys, I thought it was something like that, couldn't figure out … Thanks guys, I thought it was something like that, couldn't figure out why it would also freeze on something installed to the hard disc if that was the case. Now just need to wait for my T10 screwdriver bit to arrive.

The freezing problem is probably unrelated. PS3's do that from time to time.

Erinath

Thanks guys, I thought it was something like that, couldn't figure out … Thanks guys, I thought it was something like that, couldn't figure out why it would also freeze on something installed to the hard disc if that was the case. Now just need to wait for my T10 screwdriver bit to arrive.

To be honest it sounds like it may be heading for the yellow ring of death, Getting rid of any dust should help, Also could be combination of dirty/faulty lens and a dodgy GPU or an overheating GPU.

Original Poster

shauneco

To be honest it sounds like it may be heading for the yellow ring of … To be honest it sounds like it may be heading for the yellow ring of death, Getting rid of any dust should help, Also could be combination of dirty/faulty lens and a dodgy GPU or an overheating GPU.

I'll give it a really good clean, as I expect there's loads of dust inside, and if that doesn't work I'm getting tempted to replace the damn thing.

Anyone know if the re-manufactured PS3s are reliable? I'm always wary when it comes to such things.

The ones they send out are as prone to any others as they are just repaired with new parts and flogged back on.

Erinath

I'll give it a really good clean, as I expect there's loads of dust … I'll give it a really good clean, as I expect there's loads of dust inside, and if that doesn't work I'm getting tempted to replace the damn thing.Anyone know if the re-manufactured PS3s are reliable? I'm always wary when it comes to such things.

For the sake of £40, it would be more worthwhile to fork out for a new slim - at least you get a new warranty etc with it.

thesaint

It sounds like the laser has gone, but not definite.A replacement one is … It sounds like the laser has gone, but not definite.A replacement one is about £40, or you can get a replacement console(250GB/320GB) for £100 from various sources.

link?

ebay for laser does different versions but real cheap 60 day warranty

Original Poster

After much searching online, found a suggestion of blasting the PS3 with the cold setting of a hair dryer. Believe it or not my PS3 is currently working, guess that means it needs a really good cleaning.

Original Poster

shauneco

Crack it open and give the laser and laser track a good clean, Also while … Crack it open and give the laser and laser track a good clean, Also while it's open get rid of any dust that's built up with an hoover or blast of air.Then pray.

Opened it up last night & it was absolutely caked in dust. All the vents to the PSU were completely blocked. Dismantled the blu-ray drive too & cleaned the laser but everything seemed quite clean in there. The good news is it's working and hasn't frozen even once yet, whilst it was freezing at least once an hour before, often much more frequently. I guess it was mainly overheating.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1847
      2. Oil for Oak Doors56
      3. help: windows 10 wifi issue610
      4. Dashcam question35

See more discussions