Trying to save Christmas!(well...a TV for my mom and family for Xmas so we don't have to miss Home Alone+ Die Hard on repeat for 2 weeks!)

Posted 16th Dec 2019
Hi All,

Would love your advice. My mom was cleaning a cupboard above the TV and out falls a decorative plate she loves. Ah well, it's a shame but it's unfortunate. Then true tragedy: it cracked the TV screen on the way down!

I'm back for Xmas and want to be able to watch some TV, and I want to get this sorted. We're limited to max 40" because of the space it needs to sit in, so I have narrowed it down to:

1. Sharp 40" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV - £249 - currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

- Few reviews, and 4K is only upscaling
+ Can get 6 months for Spotify Premium with this

*******************OR************************

2. Hisense 40" Smart Full HD - £229 argos.co.uk/pro…716

- No 4K
+ LOTS of great reviews, and I already have a 4K TV with them and like it

For the life of me I can't see the big difference. I know there's apparently 4K in the Sharp, but I'm not sure how much I believe it (or at least how good it would be).

Anyhow, I'd REALLY appreciate some tech advice from this great group of people. Help me save Christmas for my family (PLEASE DON'T MAKE US HAVE TO TALK TO EACH OTHER)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Hisense over Sharp any day
4k on a 40" screen offers zero resolution benefit over 1080p TV unless used as a monitor, but may bring other beneficial features (greater support for HEVC media perhaps) but if you have no use for the associated features then you can widen the options to other 1080p sets.
Arto16/12/2019 20:25

Hisense over Sharp any day

I think Hisense make Sharp TVs, at least for the USA market...
Gollywood16/12/2019 21:06

I think Hisense make Sharp TVs, at least for the USA market...

UMC make the EU ones. UMC also do more or less name any other supermarket brand, Bush,Alba,Akai,Polaroid etc. Though Sharp have since been bought over by Foxconn and once those deals all over they will make themselves again.
We have the hisense you’ve listed above and it’s a pretty good tv, haven’t had any issues with it. Can’t really comment on the spec side but I can see it, I can hear it - it does the job I need it to do
Hi just noticed someone just posted this deal
39409054-fvL5S.jpg
Thanks all for your advice. Massively appreciated!
I missed the Hisense one but I'm gonna look around. The rest of my siblings are hopefully...they were suggesting we wait till the January sales (Oh yes...we'll all stare and watch the small, 20" screen they've brought down from my sisters room. Good lord.

Will keep watching!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants