Tui changing departure airport

Posted 5th Feb
Has Anyone had any experience with Tui changing the departure airports?

We had booked our holiday a few months ago departing from Birmingham airport (in the afternoon) to Marrakech - less than 10 miles away from our house. The returning flight was a late night flight meaning that we had the entire last day to enjoy at the hotel. Our airport parking was booked direct with Birmingham airport.

We’ve just been advised that Tui have cancelled the flight from Birmingham and we now have to travel from Manchester airport to catch a 6.25am flight. On top of that, we have an early morning return flight back too.

Our airport parking is non refundable, and whilst not impossible, it would be very difficult to travel down to Manchester at around 2am when we we’re both at work the day before.

Has anyone had major changes like this with Tui flights? What were the resolutions?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Have you tried contacting Tui directly? They might be able to refund you the price of the airport parking
Arto05/02/2020 15:47

Have you tried contacting Tui directly? They might be able to refund you …Have you tried contacting Tui directly? They might be able to refund you the price of the airport parking

We haven’t contacted Tui yet - wanted to see whether people had any similar experiences before we contacted them to negotiate compensation etc.
My only experience with TUI cancelling flights was around the time Monarch collapsed.
When I went in to the TUI store, they couldn't have been more helpful. They looked for alternatives for us, and tried to book another flight.
In the end they booked us on to another holiday and compensated us for the parking we'd booked, with a couple of excursions and lounge access.
I went in expecting to have to fight for everything and was very pleasantly surprised with the outcome.
Technically this is a flight cancellation. However under EU Reg 261/2004 you are not entitled to any conversation as they informed you well over two weeks before the departure.

First I would call them and ask for a solution. If this ends up nowhere you have two choices: 1. Accept the change or 2. Deny it and get all your money back.
Edited by: "Buckyball" 5th Feb
Phil_Walsham05/02/2020 15:56

My only experience with TUI cancelling flights was around the time Monarch …My only experience with TUI cancelling flights was around the time Monarch collapsed.When I went in to the TUI store, they couldn't have been more helpful. They looked for alternatives for us, and tried to book another flight.In the end they booked us on to another holiday and compensated us for the parking we'd booked, with a couple of excursions and lounge access.I went in expecting to have to fight for everything and was very pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Thanks Phil, that’s really good to know!
I've never had them cancel a flight but I did have the time changed on one once. They called me and informed me and have me £50 for the inconvenience.it was only by a small timescale and it didn't inconvenience me at all. I didn't insist they took the money back.
AnaBananaaaa05/02/2020 15:49

We haven’t contacted Tui yet - wanted to see whether people had any s …We haven’t contacted Tui yet - wanted to see whether people had any similar experiences before we contacted them to negotiate compensation etc.

They'll offer a refund, but not compensations. It's all explained here: tui.co.uk/des…rty
First is you travel up to Manchester from Birmingham.. could you not book a hotel in Manchester and go the night before after work. Yes it’s more expense but at least you will get sleep before your flight. You can get rooms really cheap in Manchester if booked in advance I’ve done it many times and have managed to get a room for under £40.. tui might even get you a deal on hotel if you complain enough..
Hello,

This happened to me twice last year.

I contacted tui and was able to adjust flight departure and date based on the common rules. They also covered cost of parking and overnight stay at local airport.

Check this link moneysavingexpert.com/tra…es/

What I did both times was find an alternative flight and location that suited me before contacting TUI

Good luck and hope you find a happy medium
Edited by: "Duggie2000" 5th Feb
Thanks all for your help!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants