Groups

Tulip Siddiq has quit Labour's front bench over Article 50 vote

Ben Dover was unavailable for comment.

bbc.co.uk/new…808

37 Comments

One off.

Banned

She should quit her job full stop if thats how she feels

All MPs should vote with what their constituents voted for. They are there to represent the views of their constituents- that's their job. If the constituents majority was for out, they should vote out and vice versa.

But best bit of all is Corbyn saying they should obey the Labour whip, when he voted against the whip over 500 times. Total hypocrite.
    Edited by: "gari189" 26th Jan

who?

No great loss to anyone.

Banned

gari189

All MPs should vote with what their constituents voted for.

She is a front bencher & her job is to represent the country in opposition.

gari189

All MPs should vote with what their constituents voted for. They are … All MPs should vote with what their constituents voted for. They are there to represent the views of their constituents- that's their job. If the constituents majority was for out, they should vote out and vice versa.But best bit of all is Corbyn saying they should obey the Labour whip, when he voted against the whip over 500 times. Total hypocrite.

That headline you've seen is actually a misquote. Corbyn told people to follow the whip if they thought it was right to do so.

YouDontWantToKnow

She is a front bencher & her job is to represent the country in … She is a front bencher & her job is to represent the country in opposition.

And sod her constituents?

gari189

All MPs should vote with what their constituents voted for. They are … All MPs should vote with what their constituents voted for. They are there to represent the views of their constituents- that's their job. If the constituents majority was for out, they should vote out and vice versa.But best bit of all is Corbyn saying they should obey the Labour whip, when he voted against the whip over 500 times. Total hypocrite.

​She represents her constituency as she sees best. That includes those who voted remain, leave, labour, lib dem whatever.

Who cares?.

Never heard of her.

gari189

If you read the article, her constituency voted to remain.

YouDontWantToKnow

She is a front bencher & her job is to represent the country in … She is a front bencher & her job is to represent the country in opposition.

Shame we don't have a decent opposition. The Tories always need a decent opposition to keep them in check.

75% of her constituents voted remain, she only got voted in on about a thousand majority.
    any career politician who values their seat would have done the same thing.

DKLS

Shame we don't have a decent opposition. The Tories always need a decent … Shame we don't have a decent opposition. The Tories always need a decent opposition to keep them in check.

​the thing to keep the Tories in check is the fact that people have to vote them back in, in the not too distant future.

who is Labour are they like the lib Dems... insignificant?

Original Poster

stuarthanley

One off.

Not quite. The member of Parliament for Broxtowe between 1929 and 1953 was called Seymour Cocks.

Waiting for the "You all racisss" comments.

Banned

gari189

They can abstain or vote against what their constituency wants. However, they risk not being re-elected. There is nothing known as "should vote" in politics.

Banned

majestic2012

Never heard of her.

You have now. Next PM?

Banned

jase.2

And sod her constituents?

You sure you're not one of em?

Casual racism (_;)

davewave

who is Labour are they like the lib Dems... insignificant?

If you believe in democracy neither party is "insignificant". The same way UKIP are not insignificant. We need a more proportional electoral system.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/01/12/2A22690D00000578-3145760-The_Tories_increased_their_vote_share_by_1_per_cent_after_replac-a-83_1435748588105.jpg

shadey12

​the thing to keep the Tories in check is the fact that people have to v … ​the thing to keep the Tories in check is the fact that people have to vote them back in, in the not too distant future.

Most likely they will get back in, as they are the best out of a bad bunch. Labour are nothing more than a student protest party too busy in-fighting and hating jews and northerners with a different opinion to the Metropolitan elite, the rest couldn't run a chip shop between them.

DKLS

Most likely they will get back in, as they are the best out of a bad … Most likely they will get back in, as they are the best out of a bad bunch. Labour are nothing more than a student protest party too busy in-fighting and hating jews and northerners with a different opinion to the Metropolitan elite, the rest couldn't run a chip shop between them.

​a lot can happen in 3 years in politics.
    hopefully corbyn and the plp will realise that the only place they will have power is in their own minds.
    I can't think of a labour leader so far out of touch with the people he wants to vote him in.

smiler594

You have now. Next PM?

In Bizzaro land, sure.

DKLS

Shame we don't have a decent opposition. The Tories always need a decent … Shame we don't have a decent opposition. The Tories always need a decent opposition to keep them in check.

UKIP?

gari189

I agree. It's a bit rich from him and I wish he stopped the charade. He was a euro sceptic for years.

dtovey89

I agree. It's a bit rich from him and I wish he stopped the charade. He … I agree. It's a bit rich from him and I wish he stopped the charade. He was a euro sceptic for years.

It's also not what he said. He told MPs to vote with the Whip if they believed it to be the best course of action.

Erubadhron

It's also not what he said. He told MPs to vote with the Whip if they … It's also not what he said. He told MPs to vote with the Whip if they believed it to be the best course of action.

Makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

shadey12

​a lot can happen in 3 years in politics.hopefully corbyn and the plp w … ​a lot can happen in 3 years in politics.hopefully corbyn and the plp will realise that the only place they will have power is in their own minds.I can't think of a labour leader so far out of touch with the people he wants to vote him in.

I've a suspicion he'll be gone in a couple of months.

Next month there are by elections in 2 currently Labour held seats, Copeland (Labour majority of 2,600 in 2015 but the main employer in the area is Sellafield, not good news for the staunchly anti nuclear Corbyn) and Stoke Central (Labour majority of 5000 but 69% voted to leave the EU, one of the highest in the country). If they lose both the pressure on him to resign will be overwhelming.

Edited by: "spoo" 27th Jan

Erubadhron

It's also not what he said. He told MPs to vote with the Whip if they … It's also not what he said. He told MPs to vote with the Whip if they believed it to be the best course of action.

​i must have missed the second bit, the point of a 3 line whip is you turn up and vote how you are told to.
    if you can point me to where he stated "vote for it if you believe it to be the best course of action"
    I've looked in the labour biased press and I can see no sign of him adding this.
    I stand to be corrected though.

spoo

I've a suspicion he'll be gone in a couple of months. Next month there … I've a suspicion he'll be gone in a couple of months. Next month there are by elections in 2 currently Labour held seats, Copeland (Labour majority of 2,600 in 2015 but the main employer in the area is Sellafield, not good news for the staunchly anti nuclear Corbyn) and Stoke Central (Labour majority of 5000 but 69% voted to leave the EU, one of the highest in the country). If they lose both the pressure on him to resign will be overwhelming.

​i think it would take more than that to get rid of him.
    if he lost 10 by elections the plp would still back him.

shadey12

​a lot can happen in 3 years in politics.hopefully corbyn and the plp w … ​a lot can happen in 3 years in politics.hopefully corbyn and the plp will realise that the only place they will have power is in their own minds.I can't think of a labour leader so far out of touch with the people he wants to vote him in.

A lot could happen in 3 years, your right there.
    To me its reflective of the utter failure of the political classes on a global scale, self serving, talentless gravy train riders the lot of them. I wonder how many wanted to Remain entirely due to their own personal Gravy train?

DKLS

A lot could happen in 3 years, your right there.To me its reflective of … A lot could happen in 3 years, your right there.To me its reflective of the utter failure of the political classes on a global scale, self serving, talentless gravy train riders the lot of them. I wonder how many wanted to Remain entirely due to their own personal Gravy train?

​I would think the figure looking towards their own self interests nearer to 100% than 99%
    at least now they are having to give a bit of consideration to their electorate.
    hopefully the electorate will realise now that voting makes a difference.

shadey12

​i think it would take more than that to get rid of him.if he lost 10 by e … ​i think it would take more than that to get rid of him.if he lost 10 by elections the plp would still back him.

The vast majority of the plp didn't want him in the first place, he got in as result of his popularity with the party membership. Since he became leader the membership has been bolstered with large numbers of far left wingers so he'll always win any leadership election he stands in, Labour's only hope is if he resigns and doesn't stand again.

IMO he genuinely (and deludedly) believes he has a chance of turning things around and winning the next general election, when he finally realises that will never happen I think he could be persuaded to resign for the good of the party. Next step is the plp chooses candidates who are actually electable and the membership decides which of those will lead.

spoo

The vast majority of the plp didn't want him in the first place, he got … The vast majority of the plp didn't want him in the first place, he got in as result of his popularity with the party membership. Since he became leader the membership has been bolstered with large numbers of far left wingers so he'll always win any leadership election he stands in, Labour's only hope is if he resigns and doesn't stand again. IMO he genuinely (and deludedly) believes he has a chance of turning things around and winning the next general election, when he finally realises that will never happen I think he could be persuaded to resign for the good of the party. Next step is the plp chooses candidates who are actually electable and the membership decides which of those will lead.

​when I said the plp I meant the membership, apologies for confusion.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. First 2 lucky people.77
      2. Any PS4 News Here29213631
      3. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1123
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831532

See more discussions