Expired

Tumble Dryer not very hot

Found 23rd Nov 2014
Hello, I had some good advice a couple of months ago about my washing machine and managed to fix it with help from people on this site, now I have a problem with my tumble dryer.

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius VTD00 tumble dryer with two heat settings - low and high. I used to be able to dry quite a few wet towels on the high setting in about an hour, however, lately it won't do this (the tumble dryer is vented out through the wall and I cannot see any blockages). On the high setting, the tumble dryer does feel quite warm, but for some reason it does not get hot enough to actually dry the towels - after several hours (did test it for longer), the towels still feel very wet - any ideas please as to how to fix this (so I don't have to go and buy a new one)? Thank you.
Community Updates
AskDryerTumble Dryer
13 Comments
could be an issue with drainage / full water bucket thing
check the fan. gotta blow air around
spiderbifida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfGInKA3yp8

I had a quick look at this but I am actually getting some heat from the tumble dryer, it has not totally stopped heating. There is just not enough heat to dry the towels properly.
It will be the overheat protection thermostats gone. Very common problem on driers. Driers have a matched pair. Last time i Bought some came to roughly £12.
Gordonc1960

Try this:Tumble Drier not heating up properly

Had a look at this, now don't know if it is the thermostat or the heating element - I am getting some heat, so if the heating element had packed up, surely I would get no heat at all? If that is the case, would it most likely be a faulty thermostat? A heating element would cost around twice as much as a thermostat, so want to make sure I get it right. Thank you.
Hi Sophiasky,
We don't have that model but I've repaired ours a few times. I'll list the checks I would do and the order I'd do them in.

1 Check the fluff filter is clear, if not clean it.

2 Check that air is coming out of the end of the outlet hose, if not it could be blocked or pinched somewhere or the blower isn't working.

3 As mentioned above there are safety thermostats fitted to the top of the drier. Unplug it and take the back of the drier. The thermostats should be near the top and I think one of them is resettable. You'll find a small hole in the thermostat which you can insert a pin or similar in and hopefully you'll hear a click when you push it which will reset it. You can see what they look like and order spares if required here -Youspares Thermostats

4 Our drier has 2 heating elements, one for low and one for high, I believe that both are used in high setting so what may have have happened is that the high power one has failed and will need replacing. This would mean you will be getting some heat from the low power element but not enough to raise it much when you have a big load in. To test it properly you'll need a multimeter to measure the resistance. It looks like this I think - Heater
Edited by: "RxTx" 23rd Nov 2014
RxTx

Hi Sophiasky,We don't have that model but I've repaired ours a few times. … Hi Sophiasky,We don't have that model but I've repaired ours a few times. I'll list the checks I would do and the order I'd do them in.1 Check the fluff filter is clear, if not clean it.2 Check that air is coming out of the end of the outlet hose, if not it could be blocked or pinched somewhere or the blower isn't working.3 As mentioned above there are safety thermostats fitted to the top of the drier. Unplug it and take the back of the drier. The thermostats should be near the top and I think one of them is resettable. You'll find a small hole in the thermostat which you can insert a pin or similar in and hopefully you'll hear a click when you push it which will reset it. You can see what they look like and order spares if required here -Youspares Thermostats4 Our drier has 2 heating elements, one for low and one for high, I believe that both are used in high setting so what may have have happened is that the high power one has failed and will need replacing. To test it properly you'll need a multimeter to measure the resistance. It looks like this I think - Heater

I'll check to see if air is blowing outside tomorrow (vented through the wall). Our tumble drier has two heat settings, but both are giving out heat, however, the high setting is not as hot as it used to be. Thank you.

H

Sophiasky

I'll check to see if air is blowing outside tomorrow (vented through the … I'll check to see if air is blowing outside tomorrow (vented through the wall). Our tumble drier has two heat settings, but both are giving out heat, however, the high setting is not as hot as it used to be. Thank you.

My best guess given your description is that it's the thermostat that needs resetting or replacing. If you are able to take the back off you'll see the thermostats near the top, hopefully you'll find one of them has a small hole in that you can reset it with. If you're lucky you'll have it working in 15 mins. Remember to unplug it first though. Good luck
RxTx

HMy best guess given your description is that it's the thermostat that … HMy best guess given your description is that it's the thermostat that needs resetting or replacing. If you are able to take the back off you'll see the thermostats near the top, hopefully you'll find one of them has a small hole in that you can reset it with. If you're lucky you'll have it working in 15 mins. Remember to unplug it first though. Good luck

Thank you for the advice, will try this out tomorrow.
I noticed that Amazon sell the heating units (I'd guess that there are two elements in these, 1 for low and 2 for high)
they appear to come with the thermostats too!
Double check the connector photo before you buy!
amazon.co.uk/HOT…ent
Edited by: "esar" 25th Nov 2014
Argoj23rd Nov 2014

It will be the overheat protection thermostats gone. Very common problem …It will be the overheat protection thermostats gone. Very common problem on driers. Driers have a matched pair. Last time i Bought some came to roughly £12.

RxTx23rd Nov 2014

Hi Sophiasky,We don't have that model but I've repaired ours a few times. …Hi Sophiasky,We don't have that model but I've repaired ours a few times. I'll list the checks I would do and the order I'd do them in.1 Check the fluff filter is clear, if not clean it.2 Check that air is coming out of the end of the outlet hose, if not it could be blocked or pinched somewhere or the blower isn't working.3 As mentioned above there are safety thermostats fitted to the top of the drier. Unplug it and take the back of the drier. The thermostats should be near the top and I think one of them is resettable. You'll find a small hole in the thermostat which you can insert a pin or similar in and hopefully you'll hear a click when you push it which will reset it. You can see what they look like and order spares if required here -Youspares Thermostats4 Our drier has 2 heating elements, one for low and one for high, I believe that both are used in high setting so what may have have happened is that the high power one has failed and will need replacing. This would mean you will be getting some heat from the low power element but not enough to raise it much when you have a big load in. To test it properly you'll need a multimeter to measure the resistance. It looks like this I think - Heater

RxTx23rd Nov 2014

H My best guess given your description is that it's the thermostat that …H My best guess given your description is that it's the thermostat that needs resetting or replacing. If you are able to take the back off you'll see the thermostats near the top, hopefully you'll find one of them has a small hole in that you can reset it with. If you're lucky you'll have it working in 15 mins. Remember to unplug it first though. Good luck

thank you, sorted
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants