Tumble Dryer- what to look for?

Found 11th Jan
What are important things to look for when buying a dryer? Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
That it works........
Most are condensing these days I find if no hole in wall, meaning you can put anywhere with no vent hole needed. They collect water in a container and you pull out then pour out. You can also attach a pipe to drain but most don't bother. Other type is vented out which is probably better and cheaper to buy. What can you afford. Vented out or condensing?
Edited by: "wayners" 11th Jan
Condensing with a sensor
I've got and would recommend a vented drier (if you can place on a suitable external wall). Vented driers are simpler and hence less likely to go wrong. Agree with ccnp re the humidity sensor - ensures the clothes are dried to a specified variable humidity setting rather than just for a timed period.

Also brand - get a German one if you can afford it - likely to last a lot longer.
1. Make sure the mesh filter is very easy to clean. It clogs with fluff. Its normally in the door but do check before buying. Heat builds up because of not cleaning filters and dryers catch fire that way

2. Find a friend with a Which? subscription. It isn't gospel but in can come up with some interesting tips.

I have a 20something year odl Miele sensor condensing dryer adn have never regretted paying the money. It never ceases to astonish me how short a time it dries for (due to the sensor and variable dryness setting). With lecy costing 12p/kwh, I am very happy with this since driers gobble lecy.

Just logged on to Which. top 3 are

Siemens WT45N200GB £479.99 score 66%
Miele TDA 140 C £599.00 score 68%
Zanussi ZDC8202P White £334.00 score 66%

Siemens and Zanussi have delayed start whch probably means you can use Economy 7 if you have it
Edited by: "ccnp" 11th Jan
Do you currently have one and is the damp air piped outside? If so you can get a standard one. If not and you can't pipe the hot damp air outside you'll need a condensing dryer. Personally if you are going for a condensing dryer I'd get a heat pump one as they cost less to run. The only cavet is heat pump ones don't work well in an unheated garage etc as they need room temp to work efficiently.
I would not touch any tumble dryer made by Hotpoint, Whirlpool, Indesit, Proline or Beko for starters. They are all on the list of manufacturers that have had a massive amount of fires break out. What is telling is that for a period of time they (allegedly) refused to have the model numbers stamped on metal plates on the machines, the implication being that it makes it almost impossible for the fire brigade to identify the particular machine and see if it is a recurring problem. Due to the number of fires and subsequent threats of legal action they do now use this method I believe. But, they have a very poor history of badly engineered machines that are susceptible to fire risk (due to fluff building up and being able to find its way to the heat source as far as I am aware).

As somebody else said, buy German...AEG, Bosch, Siemens or Miele. After having had several German machines I also agree with the previous post about Miele, they are simply superb, and so quiet!!! Unfortunately it is a case of you get what you pay for, the Miele machines cost considerably more, but the build quality is superb and there are many owners who are still happily using 20 yr old machines.

Finally, running costs of a heat pump condenser machine are much lower than a standard condenser or vented machine due to the recirculation of the heated water to help dry.
Vented are the best for drying. Tend to be the cheapest but can use up to 4 times more electric than a heat pump dryer.
Condensing are the middle ground. Use about 30-50% less power than vented, need no vents but take a bit longer.
Heat pumps, most expensive outlay but cheapest by far to run.
wayners2 h, 32 m ago

Most are condensing these days I find if no hole in wall, meaning you can …Most are condensing these days I find if no hole in wall, meaning you can put anywhere with no vent hole needed. They collect water in a container and you pull out then pour out. You can also attach a pipe to drain but most don't bother. Other type is vented out which is probably better and cheaper to buy. What can you afford. Vented out or condensing?

There are more than two types and the one you didn't mention is the cheapest to run albeit more expensive to buy; a heat pump version.

Heat pump dryers are significantly more economical than standard dryers. They come in plumb or self-plumb (remove container to empty) versions.

They are more expensive to buy so you will need to factor this in if budget is an issue.
We have a White Knight gas tumble dryer with sensor. Excellent dryer if you have a gas supply.
ronniejb1 h, 35 m ago

Do you currently have one and is the damp air piped outside? If so you can …Do you currently have one and is the damp air piped outside? If so you can get a standard one. If not and you can't pipe the hot damp air outside you'll need a condensing dryer. Personally if you are going for a condensing dryer I'd get a heat pump one as they cost less to run. The only cavet is heat pump ones don't work well in an unheated garage etc as they need room temp to work efficiently.

Which say that a heat pump version saves 50% over a standard dryer or standard condenser. The sensor is the critical piece in any dryer and our condenser runs for 20-30 minutes max with a load of towels in it.

Very unconvinced about the running costs argument until heat pump machines come down to a par with sensor condenser. At the moment, they are +50 to 100% depending on brand.

Although ............ if you value the incredible opportunity to control the dryer from your mobile phone, heat pump is the way to go.

Really? A mobile phone controlled dryer. Crickey. I must be getting old. That just sounds like a dramatically over complicated/expensive to repair piece of kit
Condensing dryer A++. Avoid indesit, candy, hotpoint. Get a reputable brand, cheaper brands will cost you more in parts as they go wrong every few years
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants