Tunisia holiday

Posted 10th Jan
does anyone know if Tunisia (hammamet) or (skanes) is safe for a family holiday this summer.
been looking into it and getting mixed answers from different sources.
any help would be really appreciated.
thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
No worse than going to london. Dont let the bs win, my family and i were in the hotel next to the main terror attack the previous year, amazing place and lovely people. Went to London in the 80s when the IRA bombed harrods. Your life is for living and enjoying. You have more chance at being killed in the car on the way to the airport than in a terrorist attack. Muslims are a peace loving and lovely people, just like anything, its the bad few who make bad names for the others.
ashmac10/01/2020 14:47

Perfect place to take your family , right near Iran , and Syria 🇸🇾 …Perfect place to take your family , right near Iran , and Syria 🇸🇾 Last place I’d take my kids !

Do you even know where it is? Have you seen a map of the world lately. It’s no where near Iran. Not far from the southern tip of Italy, if you wanted to know...
bawbag7210/01/2020 15:49

Thanks Sydney. A decent response amongst the people who can't give a …Thanks Sydney. A decent response amongst the people who can't give a straight answer. . Most people on here ok but as usual the village has lost its idiot Thanks for all the good responses

If you ask for opinions you will get just that. Not very nice to then call people idiots for expressing said opinions.The foreign office says Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Tunisia and there have been a number of attacks in recent years.Even the village idiot can understand that, or maybe not
36 Comments
We went right after the terror attack and a saved a lot. It is a personal choice as you need to assess the risk yourself.

Here's the government's advice:
gov.uk/for…ism

It lists recent events.
I've looked at the gov advice and it seems to be just the border area at libya that's red danger zones.
Turkey is the same with the border at Syria and we were there last 3 years with no hassle
Perfect place to take your family , right near Iran , and Syria 🇸🇾

Last place I’d take my kids !

Perfect place to take your family , right near Iran , and Syria 🇸🇾 …Perfect place to take your family , right near Iran , and Syria 🇸🇾 Last place I’d take my kids !

Do you even know where it is? Have you seen a map of the world lately. It’s no where near Iran. Not far from the southern tip of Italy, if you wanted to know...
It's a pity there's nowhere else in the world, that's warm and sunny, where you could take your kids.
No worse than going to london. Dont let the bs win, my family and i were in the hotel next to the main terror attack the previous year, amazing place and lovely people. Went to London in the 80s when the IRA bombed harrods. Your life is for living and enjoying. You have more chance at being killed in the car on the way to the airport than in a terrorist attack. Muslims are a peace loving and lovely people, just like anything, its the bad few who make bad names for the others.
Even without the threat risk I still wouldn't go again. If you want north Africa Morocco or Egypt are far, far nicer and normally around the same price.

It's not near Iran. You should look at a map first before commenting
deeky10/01/2020 15:01

It's a pity there's nowhere else in the world, that's warm and sunny, …It's a pity there's nowhere else in the world, that's warm and sunny, where you could take your kids.

There is other places but I like the look of Tunisia
Went there in October was very safe hammamet
sydney87110/01/2020 15:45

Went there in October was very safe hammamet

Thanks Sydney. A decent response amongst the people who can't give a straight answer. . Most people on here ok but as usual the village has lost its idiot
Thanks for all the good responses
Ok my turn ... it strikes me as odd to ask hukd this question ... what if something did happen .. what will you tell yourself .. ‘but the good people of hukd said we’d be fine’
bawbag7210/01/2020 15:49

Thanks Sydney. A decent response amongst the people who can't give a …Thanks Sydney. A decent response amongst the people who can't give a straight answer. . Most people on here ok but as usual the village has lost its idiot Thanks for all the good responses

If you ask for opinions you will get just that. Not very nice to then call people idiots for expressing said opinions.The foreign office says Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Tunisia and there have been a number of attacks in recent years.Even the village idiot can understand that, or maybe not
My relatives go there every year I don't know what part to be fair but they even went after the the incidents. Attacks can happen at home so unless it's a warzone which it isn't you will be fine.
Edited by: "MR1123" 10th Jan
Azwipe10/01/2020 16:21

If you ask for opinions you will get just that. Not very nice to then call …If you ask for opinions you will get just that. Not very nice to then call people idiots for expressing said opinions.The foreign office says Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Tunisia and there have been a number of attacks in recent years.Even the village idiot can understand that, or maybe not

I was meaning the ppl who don't know where Tunisia is
Everywhere is safe until the is a terrorist attack, this mixed opinion is what bags my partner and I such cheap Tunisian trips.

Now as for whether I would take kids, I wouldn't like to say. It's clearly a contentious issue and with good reason. I wouldn't even consider it if you have any doubt in your mind.
Edited by: "mogsog" 10th Jan
Cheers mogsog
Me and my partner were in hammamet last year, it was perfectly safe and we walked around and went shopping without any worries. However, since the loss of tourism from the terror attacks, Tunisia has not build back up into the tourist location it once was. This ment that there was not many restaurants or shops near the hotel and nowhere close to walk to on a night. This is just something to think about if you choose tunisia.
A friend of mine went and said it’s very different from previous trips. Almost deserted. Tourists still go but not like they used to and a lot of thriving bars restaurants are now closed x
Rather you than me. I certainly wouldn't take children there although you seem to have made your mind up anyway
chocci11/01/2020 05:06

Rather you than me. I certainly wouldn't take children there although you …Rather you than me. I certainly wouldn't take children there although you seem to have made your mind up anyway

I haven't made my mind up hence why I'm asking for advice or opinions.
Going by trip advisor reviews it seems pretty safe and there is lots of security
mogsog10/01/2020 16:37

Everywhere is safe until the is a terrorist attack, this mixed opinion is …Everywhere is safe until the is a terrorist attack, this mixed opinion is what bags my partner and I such cheap Tunisian trips.Now as for whether I would take kids, I wouldn't like to say. It's clearly a contentious issue and with good reason. I wouldn't even consider it if you have any doubt in your mind.

Partners are ten-a-penny but explaining where your kids have gone is not such an easy task
JumpMan198011/01/2020 07:40

Partners are ten-a-penny but explaining where your kids have gone is not …Partners are ten-a-penny but explaining where your kids have gone is not such an easy task

Sometimes I wish I had just not bothered asking
Most ppl just jump on the negative bandwagon
People were shot & killed there, sunbathing. People here saying it means cheap holidays. Is that the positive angle you were hoping for?
That's not a positive angle at all but people have been killed or shot or stabbed in turkey,Spain,Egypt,etc
But that doesn't stop tourism
bawbag7211/01/2020 07:43

Sometimes I wish I had just not bothered asking Most ppl just jump on the …Sometimes I wish I had just not bothered asking Most ppl just jump on the negative bandwagon

Just go for it then. But don't say you haven't been warned

Terrorism

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Tunisia and there have been a number of attacks in recent years

A nationwide state of emergency, first imposed after a suicide attack on a police bus on 24 November 2015, remains in place. You should be vigilant at all times and follow the advice of local security officials, including in and around religious sites.

Crowded areas, government installations, transportation networks, businesses with Western interests, and areas where foreign nationals and tourists are known to gather may be at higher risk of attack.

further attacks remain likely, including in places visited by foreigners such as tourist resorts.

Recent incidents include:

• on 14 October, a French national was stabbed to death in Zarzouna, northern Tunisia, by an individual who then attacked a Tunisian soldier.
  • on 27 June 2019, there were 2 suicide bombings targeting security personnel in central Tunis; 3 people, including the perpetrators, were killed.
  • on 29 October 2018, 15 security personnel and 5 civilians were injured in a bombing on Avenue Habib Bourguiba in central Tunis
  • on 8 July 2018, militants attacked security forces near Ghardimaou, close to the Algerian border. A number of Tunisian National Guard officers were killed. This follows separate media reports in early July 2018 of Tunisian security forces disrupting a terrorist group in Hammamet
  • on 31 March 2018, 2 Western tourists including one British national were attacked by an individual with a knife in the town of El Kef, in northwest Tunisia. They suffered non-life threatening injuries and a suspect was detained by the Tunisian police
  • on 1 November 2017, 2 traffic police officers in the Bardo area of central Tunis were attacked by an individual with a knife. One of the officers later died from their wounds. A suspect was detained by security forces
  • on 26 June 2015, 38 foreign tourists were killed, including 30 British nationals, in a terrorist attack at Port El Kantaoui near Sousse
  • on 18 March 2015, 21 tourists were killed, including a British national, in a terrorist attack at the Bardo Museum in the centre of Tunis
bawbag7211/01/2020 07:52

That's not a positive angle at all but people have been killed or shot or …That's not a positive angle at all but people have been killed or shot or stabbed in turkey,Spain,Egypt,etc But that doesn't stop tourism

Exactly. 7/7 tube attack in London doesn’t stop me going there but I am just hesitant to say to you, a stranger, or anyone for that matter.. yeah go, you’ll have a great time. With all this Stormzy/ Wiley beef I’m probably safer out of London right now anyway
All that is nowhere near the tourist areas.
It could happen anywhere tbh
I'm fed up going to turkey,Spain,Greece etc and just looking for something different
Thanks for the feedback
bawbag7211/01/2020 07:57

All that is nowhere near the tourist areas.It could happen anywhere tbh

Tell that to the 38 tourists killed in the main resort of Sousse

Pointless asking for advice if you're just gonna slate negative opinions

Just make sure the rest of your family know the risks before you book. You owe them that much at least.
chocci11/01/2020 08:02

Tell that to the 38 tourists killed in the main resort of SoussePointless …Tell that to the 38 tourists killed in the main resort of SoussePointless asking for advice if you're just gonna slate negative opinionsJust make sure the rest of your family know the risks before you book. You owe them that much at least.

Or go alone.
I'm not slating just stating facts.
As I said. Could happen anywhere and can't let these ppl control our lives
bawbag7211/01/2020 08:05

I'm not slating just stating facts.As I said. Could happen anywhere and …I'm not slating just stating facts.As I said. Could happen anywhere and can't let these ppl control our lives

Pointless thread then
Not pointless.
It's a discussion forum so this is a discussion
Iran is perfectly safe. More likely to get held at knife point in London than killed in Iran... Unless it's an American military intervention.
We went to Sousse years ago and stayed in the hotel that was attacked recently.

When we went it was lovely one of the best holidays ever.

I would go back but we are trying different places, Last year we went to Egypt and this year we are going to Morocco.

We have always been very welcome in these countries
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions