Found 11th Mar
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has described the Dutch as "Nazi remnants and fascists", as a diplomatic row grows over a cancelled rally.
The Turkish foreign minister was due to speak in the Dutch city of Rotterdam on Saturday in support of a referendum to give Mr Erdogan greater powers.
But the rally was banned for security reasons, and the minister's plane was then refused permission to land.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said the remark was "way out of line".
"It's a crazy remark, of course," Mr Rutte said.
Turkey has summoned the Dutch charge d'affaires to the foreign ministry in Ankara for an explanation.
In a strange twist, Turkey's family minister will attempt to travel by land to the Dutch city of Rotterdam, Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency said.
Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya is in Germany for separate meetings but plans to head to the Netherlands later, despite having her meetings there cancelled.
'Reasonable solution impossible'
President Erdogan reacted to the ban on his foreign minister by threatening to block Dutch flights.
He said: "Ban our foreign minister from flying however much you like, but from now on, let's see how your flights will land in Turkey."
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu also warned Turkey would impose heavy sanctions if his visit were blocked.

1. Misc
  2. Turkey
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Turkey
48 Comments

whats your opinion OP?

Pretty ironic comment considering the powers the Turkish President is pushing to get are very similar to what Hilter and Putin did, allowing him to stay in power, fire civil servants he doesn't like and suppress the media. Turkey is a backwards poop hole.
Edited by: "catbeans" 11th Mar

Plays right into the hands of Geert Wilder who will be winning the Dutch election to be followed by LePen in France and then its going to hit the fan. The European Union will crumble quicker than a Scottish rugby defence.

treble99

whats your opinion OP?

X)

Erdogan is looking much more favourably Eastwards rather than to Europe with closer ties to China, Russia and Iran. I believe he is playing along with the EU and NATO to appease the metropolitan liberals. Once he feels that he has enough power he will drop the secular democracy that is there at the moment.

Europe will have another hostile neighbour and the migration crisis will raise it's head again for the EU.

Didn't find the comments made by the foreign minister of turkey to be very democratic, though can't see them mentioned in the bbc variant. Claiming he could go wherever he wants due to his immunity. Sometimes it would appear diplomatic immunity is wasted on these idiots. If you are adamant you want to include ex pats in your national elections that fine, but flying to other countries and demanding they allow you to have a potentially dangerous rally doesn't seem like a move we should react fairly to. Guessing there isn't many rallies in turkey at the minute from those who oppose erdogan, as it would appear they were all arrested a few months ago in a convenient coup d'etat

Original Poster

treble99

whats your opinion OP?

that they are at odds which seems so weird. Where on earth did this fire up from, whats behind it? What are your thoughts so-called treble99 ?

catbeans

Pretty ironic comment considering the powers the Turkish President is … Pretty ironic comment considering the powers the Turkish President is pushing to get are very similar to what Hilter and Putin did, allowing him to stay in power, fire civil servants he doesn't like and suppress the media. Turkey is a backwards poop hole.

Thinking exactly the same myself. Erodogan has tightened his grip over the Turkish people immensely over the past few years, implementing increasingly draconian legislation. Pot, kettle, black.

Curlyman83

Thinking exactly the same myself. Erodogan has tightened his grip over … Thinking exactly the same myself. Erodogan has tightened his grip over the Turkish people immensely over the past few years, implementing increasingly draconian legislation. Pot, kettle, black.

​these are powers that the Turkish people voted for and freely gave him. Also new powers he wants is also going through a democratic process, no?

edit: not saying I agree with above but many will attack so called lefties for having a go at democratically elected Donald Trump so why attack Erdogan? Or is fake news only applied to certain countries?
Edited by: "jayman1986" 11th Mar

jayman1986

​these are powers that the Turkish people voted for and freely gave him. A … ​these are powers that the Turkish people voted for and freely gave him. Also new powers he wants is also going through a democratic process, no?edit: not saying I agree with above but many will attack so called lefties for having a go at democratically elected Donald Trump so why attack Erdogan? Or is fake news only applied to certain countries?

its not fake news if its actually happening.

treble99

whats your opinion OP?

treble99

whats your opinion OP?

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/label/logo/More%20Hate%20Productions_48c5.jpg

catbeans

its not fake news if its actually happening.

​depends on whose perspective you look at it from doesn't it? Erdogan critics will agree with you but his supporters (which there are a majority of in Turkey) will say he's moving the country in the direction they want and voted for..

my comment on fake news was actually in relation to Donald Trumps comments where even real news is claimed to be fake if it is critical of him. and he'll even make up stuff himself which is hypocrisy.

again my point is why defend Donald Trump's idiocy because he is democratically elected but attack Erdogan?
Edited by: "jayman1986" 11th Mar

davewave

that they are at odds which seems so weird. Where on earth did this fire … that they are at odds which seems so weird. Where on earth did this fire up from, whats behind it? What are your thoughts so-called treble99 ?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5209/5317931943_bde9126520_b.jpg

Breaking - Dutch authorities arrest Turkey's family minister and deport her to Germany; operation to arrest her underway: RTL - @BNONews

UPDATE: Turkish TV channel 'TRT world' report that the Turkish Minister has been informed that she is being detained. Several guards of Turkey's family minister have been detained; the minister is locked inside an armoured vehicle

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6rH8r0WgAEi_Nl.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6rH8rhWsAE4bYw.jpg

Edited by: "jaybizzle" 11th Mar

jayman1986

​depends on whose perspective you look at it from doesn't it? Erdogan c … ​depends on whose perspective you look at it from doesn't it? Erdogan critics will agree with you but his supporters (which there are a majority of in Turkey) will say he's moving the country in the direction they want and voted for..my comment on fake news was actually in relation to Donald Trumps comments where even real news is claimed to be fake if it is critical of him. and he'll even make up stuff himself which is hypocrisy.again my point is why defend Donald Trump's idiocy because he is democratically elected but attack Erdogan?

It's not the first time Turks have strutted through European nations imposing themselves and their demands wherever they want with total disrespect for the inhabitants of those nations.

davewave

that they are at odds which seems so weird. Where on earth did this fire … that they are at odds which seems so weird. Where on earth did this fire up from, whats behind it? What are your thoughts so-called treble99 ?

I dont really have any thoughts on the matter as I dont know much around the issue. I wasn't having a go at you personally, just usually when someone posts a news story they usually add a few lines to express their opinion which helps kickstart debate etc

It's just fascist admirers playing fascist games isn't it? Just the same the world over, unpleasant people using tried and tested tools of lies and division to overthrow liberal democracy and take everyone's freedom away.

I read the Daily Mail and therefore hate everybody but nobody more than vegans.

Graham1979

I read the Daily Mail and therefore hate everybody but nobody more than … I read the Daily Mail and therefore hate everybody but nobody more than vegans.

The Sky is bluer and more factual if you move over to read Reuters.

jayman1986

​depends on whose perspective you look at it from doesn't it? Erdogan c … ​depends on whose perspective you look at it from doesn't it? Erdogan critics will agree with you but his supporters (which there are a majority of in Turkey) will say he's moving the country in the direction they want and voted for..my comment on fake news was actually in relation to Donald Trumps comments where even real news is claimed to be fake if it is critical of him. and he'll even make up stuff himself which is hypocrisy.again my point is why defend Donald Trump's idiocy because he is democratically elected but attack Erdogan?

I don't really get the point, probably whoever is saying that because the two aren't mutually exclusive. Why does every recent political thing have to have Trump crowbarred in.

It's also not fake news since nothing is fake about it, there is no ambiguity or miss quoting, or miss-representation here. He is going to pass laws that will make Turkey even less democratic.

catbeans

I don't really get the point, probably whoever is saying that because the … I don't really get the point, probably whoever is saying that because the two aren't mutually exclusive. Why does every recent political thing have to have Trump crowbarred in. It's also not fake news since nothing is fake about it, there is no ambiguity or miss quoting, or miss-representation here. He is going to pass laws that will make Turkey even less democratic.

​by going through a democratic process like a referendum?

My understanding is he was going to help Turkish people (living in Holland) in some form protest in Holland against the Turkish government. So basically the Dutch have to foot the bill for a protest for something they have nothing to do with, then he wonders why he isn't welcome!
Edited by: "hubcms" 12th Mar

2-1 to Turkey I think, put a tenner on it fams

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan next version of Bashar al-Assad, Saddam Hussain etc.

Not one continental EU nation could possible open an armed offensive against him!

Build the wall (around the EU) or the EU becomes Turkland in a months!

Banned

i remember the coupe when someone was trying to take over the current government, i wonder who was actually behind it. luckily it didn't end in another failed Syria, Iraq, Lebanon and Afghan!

Original Poster

sofiasar

i remember the coupe when someone was trying to take over the current … i remember the coupe when someone was trying to take over the current government, i wonder who was actually behind it. luckily it didn't end in another failed Syria, Iraq, Lebanon and Afghan!

why would Turkey end up like Afghanistan?

Original Poster

Should we be marching against Erdogan or the Dutch govt.?

davewave

Should we be marching against Erdogan or the Dutch govt.?

Who is 'We'?

People march for things they feel strongly about. If you feel strongly about this then you should march. I'm sure you're the charismatic type to attract others to follow you.

Banned

davewave

why would Turkey end up like Afghanistan?

​could have done back then but luckily erdogan toppled them over !
I'm not a fan or a hater of him but I'm happy he kept his country safe

Original Poster

sofiasar

​could have done back then but luckily erdogan toppled them over ! I'm n … ​could have done back then but luckily erdogan toppled them over ! I'm not a fan or a hater of him but I'm happy he kept his country safe

I guess that's all Assad wants too, high price to pay? 2014 National Intelligence Organisation scandal in Turkey

One minister was refused permission to land by air and another one then entered by land and was deported. And, then she has the nerve to moan about it!

sofiasar

i remember the coupe when someone was trying to take over the current … i remember the coupe when someone was trying to take over the current government, i wonder who was actually behind it. luckily it didn't end in another failed Syria, Iraq, Lebanon and Afghan!

Erdogan was behind it.

He was legally able to remove people he didn't like from different positions. Now he has more power overall due to it.

Unless you think unarmed civilians and the police with a side arm stopped the heavily armed army with hand guns, rockets, machine guns, tanks. If thats the case we may as well scrap the British army and rely on the police and civilians to protect us in case of a coup or an attack.

theguardian.com/wor…gan

Edited by: "J4GG4" 12th Mar

Original Poster

zworld

One minister was refused permission to land by air and another one then … One minister was refused permission to land by air and another one then entered by land and was deported. And, then she has the nerve to moan about it!

I am so upset, Erdogan is very particular about the law and treating people fairly especially when it comes to his Judges.

jayman1986

​these are powers that the Turkish people voted for and freely gave him. A … ​these are powers that the Turkish people voted for and freely gave him. Also new powers he wants is also going through a democratic process, no?edit: not saying I agree with above but many will attack so called lefties for having a go at democratically elected Donald Trump so why attack Erdogan? Or is fake news only applied to certain countries?

I don't think anybody in Turkey voted for a virtual dictatorship. If you go to Turkey and speak to the people there (which I have) you'll know that he has done some fantastic things in the country (look at improvements in the healthcare system, for example).

Having said that, it cannot be denied that Erodogan has used his time in office to strengthen his position (to unprecedented levels) whilst eroding the powers and position of his opponents.

It also cannot be argued, that in terms of liberalisation, Turkey is going backwards. Attaturk will be turning in his grave.

Original Poster

Curlyman83

I don't think anybody in Turkey voted for a virtual dictatorship. If you … I don't think anybody in Turkey voted for a virtual dictatorship. If you go to Turkey and speak to the people there (which I have) you'll know that he has done some fantastic things in the country (look at improvements in the healthcare system, for example).Having said that, it cannot be denied that Erodogan has used his time in office to strengthen his position (to unprecedented levels) whilst eroding the powers and position of his opponents.It also cannot be argued, that in terms of liberalisation, Turkey is going backwards. Attaturk will be turning in his grave.

being hunted for making comments on social media is pretty Soviet style, I dont think people would miss Erdogan. Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp blocked in Turkey after arrest of opposition leaders

davewave

being hunted for making comments on social media is pretty Soviet style, … being hunted for making comments on social media is pretty Soviet style, I dont think people would miss Erdogan. Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp blocked in Turkey after arrest of opposition leaders

There is massive support for him in Turkey. But then again, people also voted for Hitler, Berlusconi and Donald Trump!! oO

Original Poster

Curlyman83

There is massive support for him in Turkey. But then again, people also … There is massive support for him in Turkey. But then again, people also voted for Hitler, Berlusconi and Donald Trump!! oO

there is also massive support against him, Turkish friends say it is a big step backwards!

davewave

there is also massive support against him, Turkish friends say it is a … there is also massive support against him, Turkish friends say it is a big step backwards!

Exactly the same as I've been hearing.

My Turkish friends were always mockingly remarking about how the Iranians were actually yearning for the days of the hated Shah's rule, now they are fearful that Turkey is going exactly the same way as Iran.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4074
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247616
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275

See more discussions