Found 21st Jul 2010
What currency is it best to take on holiday to Turkey? Turkish Lira, Euro's or Sterling?

1. Misc
  2. Turkey
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Turkey
7 Comments

lira for everyday expenses-drinks/food etc.

DEFINITELY euros to pay for excursions and in the markets shops etc-you will get a FAR better deal.

we are just back and were told this before we went and I reckon for trips and shopping we saved 20-30 percent by using euros.

I went last year and found that they like pounds sterling, and got a good deal with the excursions when paying in pounds.

Banned

i went a few years ago and sterling was what got you the best for your money

Original Poster

barky

lira for everyday expenses-drinks/food etc.DEFINITELY euros to pay for … lira for everyday expenses-drinks/food etc.DEFINITELY euros to pay for excursions and in the markets shops etc-you will get a FAR better deal.we are just back and were told this before we went and I reckon for trips and shopping we saved 20-30 percent by using euros.

Surely by the time you lose money exchanging to euros you may as well pay in sterling?

Original Poster

barky

we are just back .

Can I ask where abouts in Turkey you stayed?

BulldogNo1

Surely by the time you lose money exchanging to euros you may as well pay … Surely by the time you lose money exchanging to euros you may as well pay in sterling?

actually no- we went to turgetreis saturday market which is enormous-EVERY single trader wanted euros-NOBODY asked me for sterling(this is 3 weeks ago btw)

even the duty free cigs/drink at the airport is priced in euros-not in lira-the turks are desperate for euros.

like I said 20/30 percent less for excursions/market/shop purchases=you dont pay 20/30 percent to buy euros at the post office.

Anyone else come in this thread to see a funny video of a Turkey in a butcher buying some chicken? No? Just me then??

erm....
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226666
    2. Which wall design do you like best?45
    3. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35119
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247678

See more discussions