Turn 1 router into modem and connect another into WiFi?

Found 13th Jul
Ok so here's the situation. I have a Virgin Media router (superhub I believe) downstairs that functions as a wireless router (as in lets of a WiFi signal). This means that upstairs the connection in weak, so to solve this I got another router (same one). What I want to do is turn the downstairs router into a modem router, then connect the second one to it and have that one as a WiFi router upstairs. Is it as simple as just turning the first router to modem mode (I know how to do that), then connecting it to the second router via ethernet, then making sure the second router is wireless? Or are there extra steps?
Many thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Wouldn’t use a super hub as extender but google your subject header and you will have YouTube and other guides to help
Look at buying a router for a DSL/cable connection. It'll do exactly what you want.
You will have to run an ethernet cable between the two though
I don't think your title is what you want to be doing.

Interestingly what most people do is as njpugh states and have the superhub set as a modem and then a different router that you connect to its wan port of that router.

Having a super hub connected to a super hub differs and certainly if you turn the first into just a modem you would then need to configure the second to be just a router and route all traffic to the modem - certainly more complex than just plugging an Ethernet cable and not sure fully possible with the super hubs.

Perhaps easier would be to leave the first in router mode and then the subsequent turn dhcp off so it gets the first router assigning ip and setting the gateway to route traffic out. Effectively turning the second router into solely a access point which sounds what your requirements are.
Superhub is a brand name referring to several different models IIRC.

But assuming it's the same model I wouldn't bother to move routing functionality upstairs. Instead of using the second one as a router set it to just function as a wi-fi access point. You can then turn off wi-fi on the router below or leave both running depending on which produces the best results. You may also want to tinker with reducing power levels with both enabled, but it may not have that option.
A Virgin Superhub will not (afaik) work as a second router behind another Superhub. The input for a Superhub is only the VM Cable, nor do you have any option to set it as a repeater. You can set the main Superhub to modem mode and it will pass the network traffic onto another router via an ethernet cable but you won't be able to use another Superhub in the chain. As mentioned above that upstairs Wifi will need to be DSL / Cable router, such as Linksys, ASUS or Netgear. You could also buy an access point / repeater that will take the wifi signal from the Superhub downstairs and boost it upstairs - no long cable needed for that but slightly more complex to setup.
Edited by: "Ar460rn" 13th Jul
Ar460rn4 h, 7 m ago

A Virgin Superhub will not (afaik) work as a second router behind another …A Virgin Superhub will not (afaik) work as a second router behind another Superhub. The input for a Superhub is only the VM Cable, nor do you have any option to set it as a repeater. You can set the main Superhub to modem mode and it will pass the network traffic onto another router via an ethernet cable but you won't be able to use another Superhub in the chain. As mentioned above that upstairs Wifi will need to be DSL / Cable router, such as Linksys, ASUS or Netgear. You could also buy an access point / repeater that will take the wifi signal from the Superhub downstairs and boost it upstairs - no long cable needed for that but slightly more complex to setup.

linustechtips.com/mai…-3/
I did the same recently. Wifi was actually OK from the Superhub 3 even up in the loft, but I made use of the BT Smarthub which was lying around as a wireless AP.

The Smarthub's wifi is better and I now get a max speed all around the house.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants