Expired

Turn all radiators off upstairs?

Found 15th Dec 2013
Hi.

I have just moved into a B energy rated house and the upstairs gets quite hot.

I have one radiator in my bedroom which is on, but I have turned the bathroom one off and spare room as its for my kids bedroom and they are only here twice a week.

As all the heat rises, would I save more money by just turning all the radiators off upstairs and just let the heat rise.

I am off work until the 2nd of jan so I am home most days.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Thanks so much
Community Updates
AskRadiator
22 Comments
Wear a jumper
fitted thermostaatic valvves 2 all rads
buy a bungalow
All my rads are brand new within in the last year, the house has just been built and has valves numbered 1-5.

I am not cold downstairs so dont know why I would need a jumper.

I am just talking about during the night when it gets cold, would it be better to turn all the rads off upstairs and let the heat rise upstairs?
Turn the thermostat down one degree and save money off your bill.
jack_dripper

This and don't forget as the heat rises it cools the downstairs and the heating comes on again...nothing saved there.

Use the thermostatic valves, turn them down enough to keep the chill off the room then shut the doors
Edited by: "mosskeeto" 15th Dec 2013
why not turn all the valves down and just just turing youe thermostat down to say 20oC Can save money insted of cranking it up to max 30 its not just the radiators its is what you set your thermostat just notch down 1oC saves money
Turn unused rooms to 1. I still leave the doors open and seems to work for last two years
I have a glow worm remote control. so it has a built in temp gauge. my downstairs rads are on number 4 and I always have my heating on 19 maybe 20 if it gets really cold.

Should I turn them down to number 3?
canada16

I have a glow worm remote control. so it has a built in temp gauge. my … I have a glow worm remote control. so it has a built in temp gauge. my downstairs rads are on number 4 and I always have my heating on 19 maybe 20 if it gets really cold. Should I turn them down to number 3?

it,s all down to needs and what your wanting to save close room doors as well unused rooms turn rads off and shut doors smaller rooms turn rads down lower naybe to 1 or 2 big rooms set at 3 and see how it goes
You shouldn't need your heating on at night anyway, and if cold in bed get a thicker duvet.
I meant at night, after 6pm up to 10 or 11 when I go to bed.

When I go to bed I turn my remote down to 16 and leave it downstairs.

I will try 3 and see how I get on.
depends where your thermostat is, if it's upstairs then you'll probably spend MORE money by turning the rads off.

+1 for thermostatic valves, keep meaning to get some fitted here too.

I think I wish my boiler was working
Just put rads on downstairs only, then live upstairs, sorted, you're welcome X)
I alway thought it would be a good idea to install what some American homes have; a vent through the ceiling to the bedroom above, similar to the air vents coming through the wall.

homeguides.sfgate.com/ven…tml
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 15th Dec 2013
Turning the upstairs ones off will cause "cold spots" prone to condensation, might not be a good idea.
TRVs all set same and lowering temp via main thermostat seems the way forward.
I thought you usually had to have one rad to take a bit of heat off the circulating water - usually the bathroom..then all others should be on TRVs or some sort of controller.
jack_dripper

Thermostatic valves can be a bit backwards, if they're all on a certain temp other radiators in the house will not heat up
My temperature gauge is my remote control. so where ever the remote is, thats the temperature and thats what starts the boiler if it drops below a certain temp where ever the remote is.... See the below link

Your text here

Edited by: "canada16" 15th Dec 2013
cootuk2

I thought you usually had to have one rad to take a bit of heat off the … I thought you usually had to have one rad to take a bit of heat off the circulating water - usually the bathroom..then all others should be on TRVs or some sort of controller.

put simply no, there's no reason to do this unless you have a really old "botched" heating system.
this although quite an old diagram as most are on combi units now is a good explanation of the varieties
canada16

I meant at night, after 6pm up to 10 or 11 when I go to bed.When I go to … I meant at night, after 6pm up to 10 or 11 when I go to bed.When I go to bed I turn my remote down to 16 and leave it downstairs. I will try 3 and see how I get on.

Do you not set timer as turning down to 15 sounds like your boiler will run through the night when temperature drops to its coldest set boiler to come on 1 hour before you get up
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants