Turn matt emulsion into silk/satin ?

Found 3rd Mar
So i need a touch up paint for my hallway, however it seems pointless buying the 2.5L tin of silk paint for £18 when i can get a 50ml touch up paint for £1.20 as thats all i need.

Only problem is, the touch up paint comes in a matt finish only.

Is there a way to give it a shine? maybe adding varnish or even lacquer?

12 Comments

Spot touching up silk will be difficult even with the original paint. Either buy the matt tester and spot repair or redo the whole wall.

Maybe ask in DIY forums

diynot.com/
Screwfix

Edited by: "Poppyj1" 3rd Mar

Original Poster

kester76

Spot touching up silk will be difficult even with the original paint. … Spot touching up silk will be difficult even with the original paint. Either buy the matt tester and spot repair or redo the whole wall.

You think the matt finish will be fine?.

When did you paint it - the wall may have faded so touch up won't match. Also did you not keep the tin used to paint the wall ?

can't u find any silk in smaller sizes must be somewhere else if not in that store.

J4GG4

You think the matt finish will be fine?.

Depending on area and location it should be fine for small light spot repairs. I tried blending my front room wall with paint bought at the same time as the original after retouching the wall it was obvious where we had painted. It was better and quicker to paint the entire wall with a light coat. Even paint manufacturers admit slight variance between cans of the same product.
In a nutshell if you're not too bothered then touch it up with the matt. If you're bothered then paint the entire wall as this is the only real way of hiding it.

Original Poster

MynameisM

can't u find any silk in smaller sizes must be somewhere else if not in … can't u find any silk in smaller sizes must be somewhere else if not in that store.

Unfortunately not, they don't do it in silk. The smallest size is 2.5L.

I only need maybe 100ml tops. Some small touch ups, but theres one area which is 1sqm with lots of nicks out of the wallpaper, so requires quite a bit of a cover up. So using matt may look odd in that area.

I was hoping for a miracle ingredient which i could add to the matt emulsion to give it a shine.

J4GG4

Unfortunately not, they don't do it in silk. The smallest size is 2.5L.I … Unfortunately not, they don't do it in silk. The smallest size is 2.5L.I only need maybe 100ml tops. Some small touch ups, but theres one area which is 1sqm with lots of nicks out of the wallpaper, so requires quite a bit of a cover up. So using matt may look odd in that area.I was hoping for a miracle ingredient which i could add to the matt emulsion to give it a shine.

I wanted to make a rude joke but I won't.

I'd suggest just buying the 2.5l silk for £18 and then you have spare for any future mishaps.

PVA or to you wood glue.

Just buy the paint. Touching up look a xxxx Paint the whole wall and be done with it

is it a special colour ur after as banq website have them a dulux branded ones in a few colour silk for 1.55 50ml
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition60626
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 41 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
    3. daily mail comp - win a trip to queensland - comp closes 8th november, 201777
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11

See more discussions