Groups

Turn Non Smart TV into Smart TV?

Is it possible? Doesn't chromecast require phone/tablet and just streams?

15 Comments

Amazon Firestick/FireTv or Nvidia Shield.

A chromecast stick will work. Or an Amazon fire stick. Or Apple TV? Even a now to box? Or even an Xbox or PlayStation?

Original Poster

Can you use chromecast without phone/laptop?

Orcinus_orca

Can you use chromecast without phone/laptop?

no

Dvd/Blu ray player with smart features?

Best bet would probably be a secondary connected device, as others have mentioned the Amazon Fire range, NVIDIA shield TV and possibly the Chromecast are suitable devices. This also has the advantage of being modular in the sense that, when the software becomes older and obsolete you can upgrade the device separate to your TV.

The Chromecast does require a secondary device to "cast" from, essentially the Chromecast is the receiver from the primary device (phone/tablet). The Amazon fire range is easy to use and does not need a secondary device to control. The Shield TV is probably the best of both world as it is not as limiting as an Amazon fire device and has the same features as a Chromecast as well as a myriad of streaming options and access to the TV version of the Google Play Store.

I hope this helps
    Edited by: "kingmercian" 6th Aug 2016

Original Poster

Thanks

I like the sound of the Fire stick. Is there any cheaper similar item?

Nvidia shield nice but too expensive and an extra box on the table

Buy PS4 will "smart up" your TV and you'll have excuse to waste time!

The firestick practically made my not-so-smart Samsung TV into a smart TV wireless usb with remote - dead handy. Nice bit of kit.

Now Tv box has bbc iplayer,5od,all4 and itv player for free.

jamierichardson129

Now Tv box has bbc iplayer,5od,all4 and itv player for free.

​Where can we get the box for free?

craigstephens

​Where can we get the box for free?

Free?

There was a deal some time ago Now Tv was giving old model of boxes away for free. Not sure if it's still available. Look in Freebies.

Banned

M015T

There was a deal some time ago Now Tv was giving old model of boxes away … There was a deal some time ago Now Tv was giving old model of boxes away for free. Not sure if it's still available. Look in Freebies.

Probably on ebay for about £3 delivered

YouDontWantToKnow

Probably on ebay for about £3 delivered

No. It was here in freebies. Absolutely free straight from Now Tv website. I've ordered it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927364
      2. Spotify Family Premium share715
      3. word association Game73944490
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423

See more discussions