Posted 28 June 2016

Turn of Virgin Media router at nights or not in use.

Is it alright to turn of my virgin media router every night or not in use? Would it cause any speed issue? Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    should be fine:)
    why would you need/want to
    should be fine, but having to turn it on in the night if you wake up and can't sleep would be a pain. maybe a remote socket thing would mitigate this.
    you can do what you like, as long as you dont take no wires off..... i can understand you want to save electic which is a good idea while your asleep at night you wont be useing it.....

you pay your bill and they should always give you for what you are paying for which it will NEVER GO SLOW........
    It does most of its updates at night so can take ages to boot the next morning as it is doing updates but doesn't do anything else negative
    Author
    Thanks guys. I would leave it on 24/7. But my partner concerns about safety and energy saving. I am worried about the speed will drop as I did some research. But I think virgin broadband connection is different as BT line connection.
    chineseguyuk

Thanks guys. I would leave it on 24/7. But my partner concerns about … Thanks guys. I would leave it on 24/7. But my partner concerns about safety and energy saving. I am worried about the speed will drop as I did some research. But I think virgin broadband connection is different as BT line connection.

Speed won't drop, I doubt much electricity would be saved during the hours of the night and the router won't explode... don't worry!
    It's not supposed to be switched off. It will run more efficient if kept on.
    Is your partner one of those people who unplugs the telly? X)
    You should turn everything off, sparky old man trained here, a surge can happen anytime. Obviously my BT Openreach attached router is the only thing I leave on as well on Virgin I could switch it off.

Always have a strong enough fuse, never under, always over to be safe, preferable a fuse as per item required.

I as a teenager switched the light on in the hall upstairs and the wiring was that rarely touched fabric coated wiring from the 70's and the wires just burst into flames, it was at that time not even 25 years old, nearly could have lost the house had old eagle eyes here not been the light switch flicker. OFF, bathroom, towel, batter, batter, batter, house saved.
    seaniboy

You should turn everything off, sparky old man trained here, a surge can … You should turn everything off, sparky old man trained here, a surge can happen anytime. Obviously my BT Openreach attached router is the only thing I leave on as well on Virgin I could switch it off. Always have a strong enough fuse, never under, always over to be safe, preferable a fuse as per item required.I as a teenager switched the light on in the hall upstairs and the wiring was that rarely touched fabric coated wiring from the 70's and the wires just burst into flames, it was at that time not even 25 years old, nearly could have lost the house had old eagle eyes here not been the light switch flicker. OFF, bathroom, towel, batter, batter, batter, house saved.

You should never have a fuse over the recommended rating for the appliance. That's the whole point of a fuse!
    Author
    dereklogan7

It's not supposed to be switched off. It will run more efficient if kept … It's not supposed to be switched off. It will run more efficient if kept on.Is your partner one of those people who unplugs the telly? X)

Yes. All the electrics have to be switched of apart from fridge freezer.
    dereklogan7

It's not supposed to be switched off. It will run more efficient if kept … It's not supposed to be switched off. It will run more efficient if kept on.Is your partner one of those people who unplugs the telly? X)

Can you explain what you mean by 'more efficient'? I leave my router off all night and during the day when I'm at work so the router is only using electricity between around 6.30 and 11 so i am presumably saving a fair bit of electricity?
    Jez777

Can you explain what you mean by 'more efficient'? I leave my router off … Can you explain what you mean by 'more efficient'? I leave my router off all night and during the day when I'm at work so the router is only using electricity between around 6.30 and 11 so i am presumably saving a fair bit of electricity?

As per the previous comments, the router updates overnight hence the efficient comment otherwise when the router is turned back on, it has to go through the cycling boot up, then install updates prior to being usable.
    If you're worried about safety, just plug it into a surge protected socket/extension lead. That's what I've done with all my electric items. Surge protected extension leads are ridiculously cheap on CPC.
    gsj87

If you're worried about safety, just plug it into a surge protected … If you're worried about safety, just plug it into a surge protected socket/extension lead. That's what I've done with all my electric items. Surge protected extension leads are ridiculously cheap on CPC.

Not concerned about safety as I already use surge protected extension leads - I am simply assuming that by leaving my modem/router off for nearly 20 hours a day I am saving money on electricity. The comments about efficiency don't make much sense since the updates will need downloaded regardless and I have never found the router boot up process to be longer than a minute or so.
    The amount of electricity you're saving is pretty minimal but I guess every bit helps. I tend not to switch off new appliances that often now as most have good standby ratings. To be honest I don't know if there's any real wear caused by switching new devices on and off instead of standby.

Does make me chuckle how many people buy these green switches and the nbuy huge lights with 20 halogen bulbs in them
    Jez777

Not concerned about safety as I already use surge protected extension … Not concerned about safety as I already use surge protected extension leads - I am simply assuming that by leaving my modem/router off for nearly 20 hours a day I am saving money on electricity. The comments about efficiency don't make much sense since the updates will need downloaded regardless and I have never found the router boot up process to be longer than a minute or so.

a quick calculation from the stats on my netgear routers psu is you will save 1kw of electricity every 83.3 days
    check your electric bill to see how much they are charging you per Kw.
    Mines been on 24/7 the last 15 years.
    Daytrader

Mines been on 24/7 the last 15 years.

thinking about it you will burn more in calories that will require replacing with expensive food than you will save in electricity
    I can't speak on behalf of a Virgin router, but BT will downgrade your speed if you turn your router off because it looks like a fault on the ADSL line.

Why don't you ring someone at Virgin and ask what possible negative effects turning your router off could have?
's avatar