Turn on Samsung tv with Google home

Posted 19th Sep
Do I need Chromecast to use my Google home mini to switch on my Samsung tv?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
No you need a Logitech smart hub to do that.
ChrisKaru19/09/2019 17:39

No you need a Logitech smart hub to do that.

Even if my TV supports HDMI CEC? Seen a few videos on YouTube and they plug in Chromecast to do it
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 19th Sep
A Chromecast is used for displaying content on a TV. The content source varies and you can tell if you see the Cast button. To turn Audio Video equipment it uses infrared (IR) which a remote blasts. The Logitech hub is effectively a smart IR blaster.

Thinking out of the box here.... If your TV supports HDMI control it might be possible to turn on the TV by asking the Google home to cast a video or song. This would tell the Chromecast to display a picture and hence trigger the TV to switch on. It wouldn't a great idea having to tell Google assistant to cast a video or song as a method of turning on a device.
ChrisKaru19/09/2019 17:44

A Chromecast is used for displaying content on a TV. The content source …A Chromecast is used for displaying content on a TV. The content source varies and you can tell if you see the Cast button. To turn Audio Video equipment it uses infrared (IR) which a remote blasts. The Logitech hub is effectively a smart IR blaster. Thinking out of the box here.... If your TV supports HDMI control it might be possible to turn on the TV by asking the Google home to cast a video or song. This would tell the Chromecast to display a picture and hence trigger the TV to switch on. It wouldn't a great idea having to tell Google assistant to cast a video or song as a method of turning on a device.

Ye good point
An RM Broadlink Mini, perhaps? They're only about £10. I use one to get Amazon Echo to operate my Samsung TV. Will also work any IR equipment in line-of-sight.
support.google.com/goo…=en

lifewire.com/con…592

Note the Chromecast generally needs its own power supply as most telly's don't supply power via the usb when in standby. As an alt, pressing normally any button the tv remote control works, as the next thing you going to do will normally be, press the source button on the remote to change away from the HDMI channel the chromecast is on.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 19th Sep
Yes you do that's how mine is setup. Chromecast connected to the hdmi and then obviously go through the setup process then all you have to say is hey google turn on/off the TV. All done. The only downside is its rubbish for turning on the tv as it goes straight to the chromecast and not normal tv
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 20th Sep
terriclarkfan19/09/2019 18:01

An RM Broadlink Mini, perhaps? They're only about £10. I use one to get …An RM Broadlink Mini, perhaps? They're only about £10. I use one to get Amazon Echo to operate my Samsung TV. Will also work any IR equipment in line-of-sight.

This is exactly what I use and it is great for the money. Beats using HDMI CEC which will always open to the input of the device (Chromecast opens Chromecast, PS4 boots up PS4, etc.).
jamie1520/09/2019 16:23

This is exactly what I use and it is great for the money. Beats using HDMI …This is exactly what I use and it is great for the money. Beats using HDMI CEC which will always open to the input of the device (Chromecast opens Chromecast, PS4 boots up PS4, etc.).

Have you got a link to one please?
efc_4ever20/09/2019 16:27

Have you got a link to one please?

Not personally bought from this seller but this is the item.

rover.ebay.com/rov…235

Just make sure that your TV supports IR instead of an alternative like RF, in which case you would need the Broadlink RM Pro.

I use RM Mini with my Google Home, also works with Alexa and has its own app
Edited by: "jamie15" 20th Sep
jamie1520/09/2019 16:38

Not personally bought from this seller but this is the …Not personally bought from this seller but this is the item.rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254362083235Just make sure that your TV supports IR instead of an alternative like RF, in which case you would need the Broadlink RM Pro.I use RM Mini with my Google Home, also works with Alexa and has its own app

Thanks Jamie
Get the Broadlink RM Pro its only around £20 and supports RF + IR, the mini only support IR.
redserpent20/09/2019 17:00

Get the Broadlink RM Pro its only around £20 and supports RF + IR, the …Get the Broadlink RM Pro its only around £20 and supports RF + IR, the mini only support IR.

If their TV is IR then there is no need to spend extra unless future proofing.

If you have the Pro, how big is it? I have my current TV on an IKEA £9 stand so there isn't much space, not sure if the Pro would even fit!
jamie1521/09/2019 09:57

If their TV is IR then there is no need to spend extra unless future …If their TV is IR then there is no need to spend extra unless future proofing. If you have the Pro, how big is it? I have my current TV on an IKEA £9 stand so there isn't much space, not sure if the Pro would even fit!

How do I find out if my TV is IR?
efc_4ever21/09/2019 10:36

How do I find out if my TV is IR?

I contacted the place I bought mine from, you could also contact the manufacturer or try and find out from Google.

If you own a phone with an IR blaster then you could test it.
jamie1521/09/2019 10:51

I contacted the place I bought mine from, you could also contact the …I contacted the place I bought mine from, you could also contact the manufacturer or try and find out from Google.If you own a phone with an IR blaster then you could test it.

I typed in does Samsung NU7500 support IR into Google but nothing comes up
jamie1521/09/2019 13:22

support.logi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360023386873Simple way to check. This …support.logi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360023386873Simple way to check. This website is for the Logitech Harmony which is a way more expensive solution but same type of thing.

With my Samsung remote it passed step 1 and step 2
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 21st Sep
efc_4ever21/09/2019 13:47

With my Samsung remote it passed step 1 and step 2. Should I just purchase …With my Samsung remote it passed step 1 and step 2. Should I just purchase the non pro?

That means it is very likely to be RF and you will need the RM Pro if you could control remote when covering your hand
Edited by: "jamie15" 21st Sep
jamie1521/09/2019 13:48

That means it is very likely to be RF and you will need the RM Pro if you …That means it is very likely to be RF and you will need the RM Pro if you could control remote when covering your hand

Thanks
jamie1521/09/2019 13:57

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173884014171Something like this.

Perfect. Thanks for your help. Can I link it to Google mini? Hey Google turn on TV or hey Google turn on PS4?
efc_4ever21/09/2019 13:58

Perfect. Thanks for your help. Can I link it to Google mini? Hey Google …Perfect. Thanks for your help. Can I link it to Google mini? Hey Google turn on TV or hey Google turn on PS4?

I have RM Mini linked to Home so RM Pro should definitely work. It can turn on/off TV, change input, adjust volume, pause/play, etc.

However, if you ask it to turn on PS4 directly that may not be possible. Given that PS4 uses HDMI CEC you can just use the PS4 controller to turn on TV automatically but don't think anything else will support it.
Edited by: "jamie15" 21st Sep
jamie1521/09/2019 09:57

If their TV is IR then there is no need to spend extra unless future …If their TV is IR then there is no need to spend extra unless future proofing. If you have the Pro, how big is it? I have my current TV on an IKEA £9 stand so there isn't much space, not sure if the Pro would even fit!

Its 12cm x 11cm. Not that big.
redserpent21/09/2019 14:10

Its 12cm x 11cm. Not that big.

I would probably be able to squeeze it on the stand then if I needed to, thanks. I'd say RM Mini is 3cm x 3cm but of course without RF
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants