Turning android devices into NAS devices

Found 2nd Mar 2015
I'd really like to set up a NAS but I can't justify shelling out for one. However I have a couple of old tablets lying around that I don't use, including a Galaxy Tab 2.

Does anyone here have any experience of setting up a makeshift server? Surely in principle, any computer can be used as a fileserver.

What potential problems can you forsee?
Community Updates
AskNASAndroid
9 Comments
Main issue is how useless wifi is. Just buy a Raspberry Pi, £28 for the latest or probs get an old one really cheap on ebay.
Original Poster
dcx_badass

Main issue is how useless wifi is. Just buy a Raspberry Pi, £28 for the … Main issue is how useless wifi is. Just buy a Raspberry Pi, £28 for the latest or probs get an old one really cheap on ebay.

Maybe, although I'm finding the original raspberry pi hard to find.

I think one solution might be to buy that 20 quid well supported quad core Android stick from gearbest and put cyanogen on it. Not ideal but still over 20 quid cheaper than the cheapest nas drive available.
hotukdeals.com/dea…385

It's also a lot more powerful than a nas device too and if you can get it to work, obviously doubles up as an HTPC should you decide to use it as that instead occasionally.
Edited by: "sotomonkey" 2nd Mar 2015
sotomonkey

Maybe, although I'm finding the original raspberry pi hard to find. I … Maybe, although I'm finding the original raspberry pi hard to find. I think one solution might be to buy that 20 quid well supported quad core Android stick from gearbest and put cyanogen on it. Not ideal but still over 20 quid cheaper than the cheapest nas drive available. http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xsbox-s805-android-smart-tv-box-amlogic-quad-core-1g-8g-1080p-wi-fi-network-xbmc-2139439?p=24361385It's also a lot more powerful than a nas device too and if you can get it to work, obviously doubles up as an HTPC should you decide to use it as that instead occasionally.

I have one of those android sticks, I think you're missing the point, wifi is useless for a nas, there's a reason why more or less no company makes a wifi nas.
u can get a usb nas and then u just plug in usb hdd... they are available on ebay for between 10 and 20 quid..
Original Poster
dcx_badass

Main issue is how useless wifi is. Just buy a Raspberry Pi, £28 for the … Main issue is how useless wifi is. Just buy a Raspberry Pi, £28 for the latest or probs get an old one really cheap on ebay.

And apologies as I didn't realise it was you who originally recommended that stick as a cheap HTPC android device. Would seem like overkill to use one of those but they are so cheap. There must be a lot of old crappy android boxes bouncing around ebay that would easily do the job.
sotomonkey

And apologies as I didn't realise it was you who originally recommended … And apologies as I didn't realise it was you who originally recommended that stick as a cheap HTPC android device. Would seem like overkill to use one of those but they are so cheap. There must be a lot of old crappy android boxes bouncing around ebay that would easily do the job.

As long as it has Ethernet yes. It won't be that fast though but will work.
What modem/router do you have? Some have USB ports in them for that reason.

Just a thought?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants