Turning my TV into a video call facility

Posted 18th Mar
Hi guys

I wondered what the cheapest and best option would be to make my tv into a place where I could make and receive video calls? Ideally, I’d want the visual and the audio to work through the TV and to use something like FaceTime, Whatsapp video or Skype. I’ve done a bit of research but thought I’d ask you all as the knowledgeable bunch you are! X
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Possibly if you have a laptop with a HDMI output, you can connect that to your tv. However microphone and camera will be through your laptop of course.
If you have google chromecast for TV then you can cast your laptop screen wirelessly through chrome browser.
Thanks both. Would chromecast transfer for audio too?
TheRatedSeller18/03/2020 15:28

Possibly if you have a laptop with a HDMI output, you can connect that to …Possibly if you have a laptop with a HDMI output, you can connect that to your tv. However microphone and camera will be through your laptop of course.

I suppose you could mount a cheap webcam on top of the tv.

You could alsouse a phone/ tablet & wirelessly mirror the screen or use a MHL connection - if your tv is compatible.
marianbc18/03/2020 15:41

Thanks both. Would chromecast transfer for audio too?

Yep.

”Step 1. Get started
  • Casting your Android screen is available on devices running Android 5.0 or higher. Please note: Some devices have been optimized for screen casting so your experience may vary.
  • Casting your Android screen is not supported on iOS or Windows devices.
  • Turn off "Power Saving Mode" on your Android device. Power Saving Mode can limit the processing power of your device which might affect the performance of the Cast Screen feature.
  • Important: The "Microphone" permission in the Google Play Services app needs to be turned on to successfully use the 'Cast Screen/Audio' feature with Chromecast. If you don't have this permission turned on, the Cast Screen session will immediately disconnect after trying to connect.
    • To turn on microphone permissions:
    • On your Android device, tap Settings .
    • Scroll down and tap Apps Google Play Services Permissions.
    • Look for "Microphone" and slide the slider On .
Step 2. Cast your screen from your Android deviceConnect your Android device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast device.Open the Google Home app and go to the Account tab .Scroll down and look for Mirror device and tap on it.Tap on the CAST SCREEN/AUDIO button.Select your Chromecast device.
Ahh cool. I looked at chromecast but wasn’t confident sound would go through as well. This could be a great option
marianbc18/03/2020 15:52

Ahh cool. I looked at chromecast but wasn’t confident sound would go t …Ahh cool. I looked at chromecast but wasn’t confident sound would go through as well. This could be a great option

All sounds good! Don't forget Google Duo duo.google.com/about/ - a much better app in my opinion. Add zoom.us/ to your list also.
If you use Chromecast there may be a little lag. I'd also be worried about setting up a feedback loop from your TV audio to the laptop microphone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants