turnip in slow cooker

Hi I've had a beef stew in the slow cooker since 1.30pm on high (it's now 6.30pm). It is cooked to perfection apart from the turnip. This is still quite uncooked. Surely it should be done by now? Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I guess turnip and slow cookers just don't mix!

16 Comments

veggies take longer than meat in a slow cooker. in my experience swede and turnips are the slowest to cook and if I've only got 5-6 hrs cooking time available I'll "start them off" in a pan/microwave first. Always be careful that veggies are fully immersed in the stock/sauce/gravy too

I normally cook mine on high for around 6 hours and never had a problem

if still in chunks just remove turnip or slice smaller next time? or par boil next time if you want it larger

I slice mine up before cooking. always amazing

Cut them smaller, turnip is a hard veg and takes a lot time to cook normally.

Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, I cut them into quite small chunks, but lesson learnt. I'll par boil them next time, oh well guess it's turnips for dessert then. (I've had to dish up but leave the turnips cooking)

Original Poster

TAH-M

veggies take longer than meat in a slow cooker. in my experience swede … veggies take longer than meat in a slow cooker. in my experience swede and turnips are the slowest to cook and if I've only got 5-6 hrs cooking time available I'll "start them off" in a pan/microwave first. Always be careful that veggies are fully immersed in the stock/sauce/gravy too

I think I overdid the veg trying to be healthy, onions, parsnips,onions, carrots, turnips and potatoes

Original Poster

anj78

I normally cook mine on high for around 6 hours and never had a problem

I don't usually, I'm puzzled

Original Poster

justanothercid

if still in chunks just remove turnip or slice smaller next time? or par … if still in chunks just remove turnip or slice smaller next time? or par boil next time if you want it larger

They were quite small chunks, but I'll par boil them next time thanks

Original Poster

srp111

I slice mine up before cooking. always amazing

I cut mine into quite small chunks... obviously not small enough

Original Poster

joedastudd

Cut them smaller, turnip is a hard veg and takes a lot time to cook … Cut them smaller, turnip is a hard veg and takes a lot time to cook normally.

I've realised that now, thanks for the advice

Only time I put veg in the slow cooker, the carrots had a sort of film around them. It was very strange. I'm in no hurry to repeat it so I cook them separately.
Edited by: "freckles101" 10th Jan

Original Poster

freckles101

Only time I put veg in the slow cooker, the carrots had a sort of film … Only time I put veg in the slow cooker, the carrots had a sort of film around them. It was very strange. I'm in no hurry to repeat it so I cook them separately.

Never had that, I'm sure some of these vegetables are sent to test us.:D

Raw turnip is slightly harder than raw carrots

Therefore if your carrots are cooked nicely you need to make the turnip slightly smaller in overall size as the carrots.

Just like your tatties need to be slightly bigger than carrots

I'm no "Naked Chef" (once you've looked you can never unsee ) but I've never had to pre cook separately any veg - just lob it all in, turn it on and leave to cook

Original Poster

philphil61

Raw turnip is slightly harder than raw carrots Therefore if your carrots … Raw turnip is slightly harder than raw carrots Therefore if your carrots are cooked nicely you need to make the turnip slightly smaller in overall size as the carrots.Just like your tatties need to be slightly bigger than carrotsI'm no "Naked Chef" (once you've looked you can never unsee ) but I've never had to pre cook separately any veg - just lob it all in, turn it on and leave to cook

That was my logic, to lob it all in, and I've never had any problems. It was just this poxy turnip, Ah well, I guess you live and learn, I'll just cut them smaller next time. I'm off to erase the naked chef comment from my mind (_;)

freckles101

Only time I put veg in the slow cooker, the carrots had a sort of film … Only time I put veg in the slow cooker, the carrots had a sort of film around them. It was very strange. I'm in no hurry to repeat it so I cook them separately.

​Did you take them out of the bag?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Wifi extender67
    2. Uploading screen recordings/images online22
    3. Iptv66
    4. Gamecube Component Cable56

See more discussions