Turtle Beach Customer Service/Replacements = POOR (advice needed)

Found 12th Sep 2012
Hi, I have owned some Turtle Beach P11 headset's which I ordered around 5 months ago. I have been very happy with them and have looked after them very well. Anyway, a week ago they have died on me and I can no longer use them.

I bought them refurbished from the TurtleBeach store for only £22.50. They come with a 3 month warranty. I have had them 5 months.

My friend has had the same problem with the headphones now 3 times and has had replacements every time.

I have tried to convince the company to give me a replacement but I keep getting the unfortunate replies that are really starting to anger me.

I need some advice as I really don't know where to go from here. I though all electrical products automatically get 1 year guarantee and therefore I am entitled to a free replacement/repair/refund. Is what they are doing wrong and bad customer service or is it me?

(Please see post one for emails sent/received)

25 Comments

Original Poster

1st email: (from the website I filled in the boxes)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model or Product: Turtle Beach P11

Type of Problem: Audio Problem

Description: Hello.

I bought a Turtle Beach P11 headset off of you and have been very happy about it as it looked pretty much new when it arrived. Anyhow I have looked after it very well and haven't had any problems up until now. I am now having problems with the wired connection and there seems to be a loose connection of some sort. I am sometimes only received sound in one ear or neither. I have to push on the wire in order to receive sound. There is definitely a problem with the headset and this hasn't been caused due to me mishandling the product.

My friend has had this problem twice in the past and he has had replacements. This obviously is a recurring manufacturer fault which isn't too good for the customer or on the companies behalf.

Thank you,

James

Date of Purchase: 4/March/2012

Place of Purchase: Turtle Beach Ebay Store

I recieved-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi James,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had some trouble with your headset this sounds very unusual. Unfortunately as you have purchased a reconditioned graded headset, a 3 month warranty is provided. As such we can of course take a look at your headset with a view to repair it however there would be a charge incurred. We can offer you a heavily discounted refurbished headset, in varying models, depending on the console you are using from as little as £12.50. This would be a more cost effective solution for you rather than returning your headset to us for a repair.

You can find our refurbished headsets in the headset section of our official eBay outlet which can be found by visiting the following link:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-UK

If you require any more information or help please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

James

Turtle Beach UK Support

2nd email-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not feel I should have to pay for this fault. I only use them on occasions and for you to say that it is a "very unusual fault" is utter rubbish. My friend a long with others online know that this is a well known fault that happens with these headsets. I have barely used the headset and looks pretty much new. It is completely not my fault and I think that it is very unfair and unreasonable that you would expect me to pay for any repairs. My friend who was in the same situation had his headset granted and a free replacement issued- whom of which went wrong again a few months later.

I would send back my product and you can inspect if for yourself. It looks brand new, there is no visible damage what-so-ever. It is simply bad quality that has put this headset at fault. If you think that I would buy from your company again after this customer service then you would be very wrong.

Very disappointed in the fact that you wouldn't issue a replacement that would cost your company very little just because it is just a few months out of warranty. If your company expectations are to only make products that last 3 months, I feel this is very poor and very below standard.

Not a happy customer

James.

I received----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi James,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had some trouble with your headset. However graded, refurbished stock is supplied “as is” with a limited 90 day (3 months warranty). This is reflected heavily in the price of the headset.

Turtle Beach make products to last for years however they are accompanied with 12 months warranty from new. Refurbished items may be just a few months old or maybe a year old etc. However they are fully working and tested as fully functional before being re sold.

Regards,

James

Turtle Beach UK Support

3rd message-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very poor reply. Pass my messages to your manager, maybe he will understand.

Also the UK law states that I am entitled to a free replacement or refund. 1 year warrenty comes standard with all electricals. So therefore I automatically have a 1 year standard warrenty and am entitled to a replacement which is what I want.

James

I received -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing as of yet.

Edited by: "iAmLegendFam" 12th Sep 2012

Banned

New electricals come with a 1 year warranty by law but not refurbished models...

Original Poster

konimitsu

New electricals come with a 1 year warranty by law but not refurbished … New electricals come with a 1 year warranty by law but not refurbished models...

Ah was hoping that wasn't the case. That's a sucker.

Turtle Beach make products to last for years however they are accompanied … Turtle Beach make products to last for years however they are accompanied with 12 months warranty from new. Refurbished items may be just a few months old or maybe a year old etc. However they are fully working and tested as fully functional before being re sold.

He even mentioned it in his email.

Reading comprehension, not even once

Original Poster

Legend101

He even mentioned it in his email.Reading comprehension, not even once

How is this relevant? Mine isn't new...

They're right. You bought refurbished goods, with a 90 day warranty period. They broke out with that time. They aren't obliged to do anything. Your normal consumer rights and expectations don't apply because it was sold clearly as a graded product.

iAmLegendFam

You said that electricals come with 1 year warranty, he had stated that they come with 1 year warranty if new.

Original Poster

Fair enough. Still think it's poor though.

dxx

They're right. You bought refurbished goods, with a 90 day warranty … They're right. You bought refurbished goods, with a 90 day warranty period. They broke out with that time. They aren't obliged to do anything. Your normal consumer rights and expectations don't apply because it was sold clearly as a graded product.

iAmLegendFam

Yeah.

Tritton AX Pro's I think for me now.

"this is a well known fault that happens with these headsets"

If its a well known fault to happen to these specific models, then why did you them ?
Edited by: "DestinyCalls815" 12th Sep 2012

I wouldn't waste money on turtle beach or Triton tbh

do you know your xbox comes with a free headset don't you

badgerrules

You do know that the free headset isn't particularly useful for anything, don't you ?

you could have acted a bit better in your email correspondance imo, you were a little quick to jump the gun,basically saying my mate has had his replaced, replace mine please. The way you describe how the fault has arisen would also lead me to believe it could be something that has arisen from excessive pull on the headphone cable through mishandling.

however you deal with someone like sennheiser, now theres a professional company

My x42's are starting to play up, the chat keeps cutting out and sometimes I have to unplug the lead and plug it back in for them to work. The game sound occasionally disappears for a few seconds as well.

I bought them new from Amazon for £120 about 3 months ago, I will ring them tomorrow. I know they will send me a replacement with no problems

From my experience both Turtle beach and Tritton (Mad Catz) warranty / Customer service is pitiful. Trittons have a horrible history of one ear piece failing along with the mics

konimitsu

New electricals come with a 1 year warranty by law but not refurbished … New electricals come with a 1 year warranty by law but not refurbished models...

Its not a law, it is company specific. If they tell you there is 12 months then of course they must honour it but there is no set term for any warranty only that it should fulfil the expected life of the product and if it doesn't you then give trading standards a call.

Op, I would tell turtle beach cs, that you intend to involve trading standards if a desirable conclusion isn't reached very soon. Should shake them up a bit.

Original Poster

N1K0LAI_DAN7E

you could have acted a bit better in your email correspondance imo, you … you could have acted a bit better in your email correspondance imo, you were a little quick to jump the gun,basically saying my mate has had his replaced, replace mine please. The way you describe how the fault has arisen would also lead me to believe it could be something that has arisen from excessive pull on the headphone cable through mishandling.however you deal with someone like sennheiser, now theres a professional company

Yeah maybe I was arrogant and a bit far forward but that is how I feel you need to be with companies to get the best customer service. Obviously didn't work this time but hey, only £22.50. The fault was actually not my fault I have genuinely looked after them and they have randomly broken. Ah well.

badgerrules

You do know I have PS3

I wouldn't say Turtle Beach have shown poor service, their service seems to have been fine - you're just not getting what you want

Good luck and all that, but it's unfair to suggest this is bad service... Bad service would be not responding to your correspondence at all.

dcx_badass

How do you know the manager is a man?

Because otherwise it would be a manageress

abch4

I wouldn't waste money on turtle beach or Triton tbh

and what would you waste your money on? serious question, seriously?
what other brand?

You are barking up the wrong tree. You should use the Sales of Goods Act and the reverse burden of proof. A warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and the warranty is not relevant in this matter. Goods must last a reasonable time. Within the first 6 months, the supplier is responsible in proving the goods were not defective when sold and cannot charge you for this, even if it turns out to be misuse.

N1K0LAI_DAN7E

you could have acted a bit better in your email correspondance imo, you … you could have acted a bit better in your email correspondance imo, you were a little quick to jump the gun,basically saying my mate has had his replaced, replace mine please. The way you describe how the fault has arisen would also lead me to believe it could be something that has arisen from excessive pull on the headphone cable through mishandling.however you deal with someone like sennheiser, now theres a professional company

badgerrules

It is definitely not the way to deal with companies if you want to get your own way, imagine how many people they get trying it on in order to get a free pair of phones.

Where did you buy them from?

DE4L3R

and what would you waste your money on? serious question, seriously?what … and what would you waste your money on? serious question, seriously?what other brand?

It wouldn't be a waste, it would be an investment

Since you ask I would suggest sennheiser hd555's, audio technica ad700's, or beyerdynamic dt770's. All have great wide soundstages, and good drivers as opposed to these 'gaming' headsets. I play on PC so use a dedicated mic, but you can get clip in ones for Xbox anyway. You can also use mix amps with these. I.e Astro, if you really wanted. With turtle beach et al, you're paying a premium on a gaming brand/Eco system but end up getting inferior quality

Not even trying to be elitist, just trying to stoke customer awareness.
Edited by: "abch4" 12th Sep 2012

DE4L3R

and what would you waste your money on? serious question, seriously?what … and what would you waste your money on? serious question, seriously?what other brand?

sennehiser, bought a faulty pair from ebay, sent them off to sennheiser for repair and receive a brand new replacement pair free of charge (PC360's)

had the ath ad700's and have to say i didnt rate them overly for gaming, found it very hard to pick up footsteps on them well even when used with astromixamp, the base light nature also provided a less atmospheric feel for me, the clarity on them was exceptional though, loved listening to music in them, i preferred the a40's and pc360's, and customer support from both i couldnt really rate higher

Edited by: "N1K0LAI_DAN7E" 13th Sep 2012

N1K0LAI_DAN7E

sennehiser, bought a faulty pair from ebay, sent them off to sennheiser … sennehiser, bought a faulty pair from ebay, sent them off to sennheiser for repair and receive a brand new replacement pair free of charge (PC360's)had the ath ad700's and have to say i didnt rate them overly for gaming, found it very hard to pick up footsteps on them well even when used with astromixamp, the base light nature also provided a less atmospheric feel for me, the clarity on them was exceptional though, loved listening to music in them, i preferred the a40's and pc360's, and customer support from both i couldnt really rate higher

Nice, never had a prob with my senn's but would hope to get same customer service. Then again haven't used them for an age, like the light fit of my portapro's too much
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants