Groups

TV advice for Granddad

Once again asking for the advice of you HUKD'ers.

My Granddad would like a new TV as his is not widescreen and keeps on losing quite a bit of pic with the sky box.

I want to find him the cheapest flatscreen possible. Thinking 32" or higher. But due to him being 90 years old HD TV is not needed. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to a good shop / site.

Cheers in advance

Remster

16 Comments

If cheapest and not HD are requirements, maybe get an old CRT from ebay - they go for peanuts.

Or even the Tosh from Richer Sounds HERE

2nd hand for crt might be your best bet otherwsise just get a 32 tft

Have you got any guidance on price?

(by which I mean a figure, not "as cheap as possible" :-) )
    Edited by: "mrsean2k" 14th Jun 2011

Banned

You can get CRTs on Freecycle. I gave an old one of mine away last year.

Just don't ask him to collect it himself.

Change the picture settings on the sky box to 'letterbox'. He will then get the widescreen he wants without paying anything!
    Edited by: "cdm22" 14th Jun 2011

Original Poster

would rather get him an LCD screen so its not too much in the way.

I'm thinking of £200 max.

cdm22

Change the picture settings on the sky box to 'letterbox'. He will then … Change the picture settings on the sky box to 'letterbox'. He will then get the widescreen he wants without paying anything!

was just about to post this it might also be why his losing parts of the picture.

Banned

Remster

would rather get him an LCD screen so its not too much in the way. I'm … would rather get him an LCD screen so its not too much in the way. I'm thinking of £200 max.

HERE you go

Amazon and ebuyer are both good bets

you could do a lot worse than the hanspree 32" for 199

toshipbas have been popping up for 199 all over the place to, think there was a deal for around £145 recently for a refurb or warehouse stock

they would be perfectly fine for what you after

if you still want cheaper i could only suggest second hand....

incidently i bought a tv off electricals123 recently and there customer service was very good i thought

Original Poster

JonnyTwoToes

HERE you go

yes am very tempted, just wondering if i could get anything cheaper. Just so that less money was coming out of his pocket but still keeping him happy.

Just to be awkward lol

Remster

yes am very tempted, just wondering if i could get anything cheaper. … yes am very tempted, just wondering if i could get anything cheaper. Just so that less money was coming out of his pocket but still keeping him happy. :)Just to be awkward lol

You got your eye on inheritance! init

Banned

Joey Bloggsy

If that's the case, get him THIS ONE

Original Poster

Joey Bloggsy

lol, if only. More like trying not to give Nan a heart attack.

£150 is as cheap as you will be going realistically

toshiba and handspree are decent enough brands aswell

go below that and ur buying junk.. bush, technika etc and i dont actually think you'll get them any cheaper

Original Poster

Ok, seems like it will be Richer then.

Thanks everyone.

Low end tv's are a false economy, picture quality and reliability are often poor. I'd recommend a 32 inch CRT as well, he already has a CRT so has the space for it, and when not watching HD, the CRT gives the far more superior picture quality.

I picked a newish one up off Gumtree, with a stand, for £30
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What will £250 get me second hand mobile66
      2. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother78
      3. Info on Browns Family Jewellers34
      4. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?77

See more discussions