Groups

TV box advice

Hi all, I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice.

We've just moved into a new house in the sticks where there's no one who can provide fast internet and tv as a package. (Tried sky, bt and talk talk) so it looks like I'll have to go with EE broadband. Speed is 38mb.

Question is that I need tv for the living room for me and hubby and also something to put in the small playroom we have downstairs.

What do people recommend in a way of tv boxes i.e. Now tv etc. Would my internet be quick enough to handle the load ?

Always been in an area that had facilities for broadband and tv so never had to look around for alternatives and not up to date with this stuff.

Thank you to anyone who replies.

14 Comments

Would have thought the broadband would be the hard bit and if you'd managed to get that from EE thats cool (especially those speeds). I would have thought you would still be able to get Sky TV via a dish on a seperate deal (rather than combined with broadband). They are doing some cheap TV only deals not just ones with bundled with broadband and with that you wont need to worry about the speed of your broadband as would be coming down the dish.

If you can get EE 38meg you can also get sky and bt 38meg

I am using sky 17 Mbps broadband.. but actual download speed is 8-9 Mbps.. I use android tv box.. sometimes movie streaming gets stuck.. I guess if u r getting more than 10 Mbps (actual download speed) then it should be fine provided u r not connecting downloading via lot of devices..

Original Poster

jb66

If you can get EE 38meg you can also get sky and bt 38meg

Sky broadband isn't available at all unfortunately and bt will only offer standard broadband as there are too many people on the circuit (something like that) so they aren't taking anymore orders for fibre.

Original Poster

Tyash

I am using sky 17 Mbps broadband.. but actual download speed is 8-9 … I am using sky 17 Mbps broadband.. but actual download speed is 8-9 Mbps.. I use android tv box.. sometimes movie streaming gets stuck.. I guess if u r getting more than 10 Mbps (actual download speed) then it should be fine provided u r not connecting downloading via lot of devices..

Thank you tyash. Just normal usage I guess nothing fancy. As long as I can find something to stream fireman Sam on for a few mins peace every now and again!

Original Poster

jdpwest

Would have thought the broadband would be the hard bit and if you'd … Would have thought the broadband would be the hard bit and if you'd managed to get that from EE thats cool (especially those speeds). I would have thought you would still be able to get Sky TV via a dish on a seperate deal (rather than combined with broadband). They are doing some cheap TV only deals not just ones with bundled with broadband and with that you wont need to worry about the speed of your broadband as would be coming down the dish.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was surprised EE offered it to be fair especially after BT said no and talk talk. I'll go with EE and look into the sky tv offers. Thank you very much for the advice. The joys of moving to a village!

What does the BT Openreach checker say? Make sure to use your full address (or phone number) not just the postcode for accuracy.

Original Poster

computersandstuff

What does the BT Openreach checker say? Make sure to use your full … What does the BT Openreach checker say? Make sure to use your full address (or phone number) not just the postcode for accuracy.

computersandstuff

What does the BT Openreach checker say? Make sure to use your full … What does the BT Openreach checker say? Make sure to use your full address (or phone number) not just the postcode for accuracy.

I have no idea how you add photos but I did the checker and all said available. Called BT again and said there is no room on the cabinet until September. Here's me thinking chasing after the toddlers would be the most difficult part of moving! Thank you for your help.

computersandstuff

computersandstuff

Since all the providers use the same cabinet you won't be able to get fibre (FTTC) broadband until one of two things happen. 1. Someone else connected to your cabinet cancels and a port becomes free (assuming you are top of the waiting list). 2. BT Openreach builds a another cabinet.

Number 2 can take a long time. Regular (ADSL) broadband should be available to you while you wait.

Amazon firestick would be a relatively cheap method to stream tv content and you will be able to access the main channel players e.g. bbc, itv. If you are able to plug the box in to a router via an ethernet cable then Amazon Firebox are good. Amazon has good content if you subscribe to Prime. Now tv boxes also good and usually can get pretty cheap with passes. You could subscribe to the kids package and have plenty of content to choose from. I have an nvidia shield box but probably overkill just to stream kids programmes.

btw my speed is only around 5 to 7 mbps but can still stream hd content connected via ethernet and wireless with ease (providing im not trying to stream 2 things at once!)

get a BT DTR-T2100 youview box from CEX for about £60

brilliant freeview+ PVR with all the main catch up channels too

I work for sky I'd be shocked if ee can provide you that if we can't be careful double check it all

Friend has ADSL topping out at about 11 Mbit - Now TV box works fine
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2841
      2. word association Game74044555
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767402
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would28109

See more discussions