Found 31st Jan
Could do with some help deciding what box to get to run kodi on.

I have seen alot of boxes on ebay but can someone recommend me a box which is a good all around box which is also a reasonable price don't want to spend too much.

I have seen boxes from £15 upto expensive boxes for over £100.

Would also need Bluetooth to connect keyboard to it.

Thanks for your help.

24 Comments

2 of my mates use the tx3 pro with an s905 chipset, £30ish on eBay.
No complaints.
I run it on a Fire Tv, but only because of emulators for other things.

I use amazon fire stick and have had no issues whatsoever. runs perfect.

Latest M96x Android 6.0 S905x Quad Core Smart TV Box KODI 16.1 Fully Loaded

Type that into eBay. £35 delivered. Pretty good box IMO.

Very likely best bang per buck as moment ex-UK: 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, dual wifi, gigabit, bluetooth 4.0, all the bells and whistles, decent multi-button remote and fulfilled by Amazon at £36.99 amazon.co.uk/NPE…LL/

Original Poster

I have been reading about it and alot of people have been saying that i should get one with minimum 2gb ram is there any reason for this?

zedf

I have been reading about it and alot of people have been saying that i … I have been reading about it and alot of people have been saying that i should get one with minimum 2gb ram is there any reason for this?

​I heard that Android OS needs 2 gig of ram to run smoothly. This works across all devices like phones. The ones with less than 2 gig need to be optimised to run less or just lag a little. This is what I heard on tech podcast so don't know as fact but I won't buy any device with lower than 2 gig of ram.

It's difficult to answer specifically. Get one with S905x this supports dual wifi & Libreelec can be installed. There are no libreelec builds for S912.

I think 2gb ram & 16gb storage is ok.

I would get one with the play, stop start buttons on the remote, a lot of them do not have them, & you have to use the onscreen menu to stop start movies etc

None of the cheap make manufacturers provide support, Minix or Zidoo? are expensive.

I would agree with the above based on what research I've done. The 1gb boxes can be optimised by running a different os called libraelec on them. But not all devices are supported. I was looking at a nexbox a95x I think it was called. Android os takes a ton more memory to run than libraelec so if it's just a kodi box you want I'd look into that.

nvidea shield is good it has 3gb ram

Has anyone had a letter from an ISP re streaming?

Download it on your phone and use chromecast...you'll have to youtube how to do it but it's much more reliable than the boxes.

BlackCloud

Has anyone had a letter from an ISP re streaming?

No. I have just got ipvanish on my two libreelec devices

firestick

2gb ram doesn't matter as much now,use a firestick,runs fine.
folk confuse heavy server use and low broadband bandwidth as being the sticks fault.

@blackcloud it's not illegal to stream. Only illegal to sell the boxes set up to do it as far as I know.

Decoded

@blackcloud it's not illegal to stream. Only illegal to sell the boxes … @blackcloud it's not illegal to stream. Only illegal to sell the boxes set up to do it as far as I know.

​Thought I read that ISPs were 'warning' users of TV boxes they believed to be streaming pirate services. Just making them aware rather than prosecuting.

I currently do this. It works flawlessly for films but not so great for live sports. Would a box improve this aspect?

@blackcloud.. not heard that? you are not downloading or storing anything just watching it. entertainmentbox.com/is-…al/

I went with 3 of these, can't fault them KODI

Original Poster

I have been checking some and have found this one which looks decent.

ebay.co.uk/itm…825

Would this be any good?

Not sure if it has Bluetooth as that's what i also need to connect a keyboard to it.
Edited by: "zedf" 1st Feb

zedf

I have been checking some and have found this one which looks decent. … I have been checking some and have found this one which looks decent. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371213750825Would this be any good? Not sure if it has Bluetooth as that's what i also need to connect a keyboard to it.

Pretty much the same as the one I bought but it has no optical audio out on that one, also Bluetooth isn't stated, better off with this one 2g/16g and free keyboard Your text here

I've a nvadia shield but for all round I've been told minix neo u1 it comes with a great air mouse

Wanting to get into Kodi and doing a lot of research myself. The first box I bought was one of those high end 4k MX off amazon. the reviews were excellent etc however since I was still getting used to kodi I didn't really like the slow interface of android. I returned it within a few days. I'm now only interested in boxes made by bigger brands such as amazon, shield or mi. my personal experience was that I needed a reliable box which didn't need a lot of tweaking such it would be smooth I am currently split between the mi box and Amazon fire stick.
Edited by: "ithinkin1" 2nd Feb

Original Poster

T2000Bill

Pretty much the same as the one I bought but it has no optical audio out … Pretty much the same as the one I bought but it has no optical audio out on that one, also Bluetooth isn't stated, better off with this one 2g/16g and free keyboard Your text here

This is the one i ended up going for i have found it to be an excellent box.

Does not lag or freeze etc

Would definitely recommend to others.

Thank you T2000Bill
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322807
    2. Add one, leave one game54315382
    3. Mercedes-Benz recalls 400,000 cars in UK over airbag fault1010
    4. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)89181

See more discussions