Tv broke after 18 months

Found 28th Jun
Hello,

I bought a £550 Samsung TV from Coop electricals. It came with a 12 months warranty.

Now, 18 months after buying it, it stopped working. The screen and sounds comes on for a few seconds before switching off. Then comes back on a few minutes later before disappearing again after 3 seconds.

Nothing to do with wiring, it is irrespective of the source selected.

I called Coop and they said tough, warranty is over. I quoted consumer goods act etc but they said whatever.

They told me to call Samsung.

Samsung said I can get in touch with one of their approved repairers centre, but at my own expense.

I paid for the TV with a debit card, so no CC protection.

Any idea what to do to get it fixed by them? Surely, one can expect more than 18 months of use from £500 tv, irrespective of the warranty?

Any pointers on what to do would be much appreciated!
Community Updates
AskElectronicsTV
18 Comments
My understanding is that expensive goods like tv, fridges are expected to last for at least 6years with reasonable use. To sell any such item in the EU, remember we are still members, manufacturers have to offer a 2 year guarantee
Consumer act is what we follow now, it’s quiet messy with some companies after a certain time, burden of proof and the experts view needed but have a look. Call Co-op and ask for help under the consumer rights act.

which.co.uk/con…act
eslick1 m ago

Consumer act is what we follow now, it’s quiet messy with some companies a …Consumer act is what we follow now, it’s quiet messy with some companies after a certain time, burden of proof and the experts view needed but have a look. Call Co-op and ask for help under the consumer rights act.https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Thanks. I did quite this and they said I would need to prove. Do I go to the Samsung’s approved repair company? Will they actually be honest? Or should I find an independent engineer to confirm what’s the cause?
lukas07049 m ago

Thanks. I did quite this and they said I would need to prove. Do I go to …Thanks. I did quite this and they said I would need to prove. Do I go to the Samsung’s approved repair company? Will they actually be honest? Or should I find an independent engineer to confirm what’s the cause?

That’s the crux of the issue who will they accept and my expert is bigger than yours. Have a google you might find some mentions on forums about people who went up against Samsung before. Also put it down to experience, next time consider John Lewis, Richer Sounds or Costco, they might be a little more expensive but at least one price matches maybe two and you get a 5 or 6 year warranty
eslick21 m ago

That’s the crux of the issue who will they accept and my expert is bigger t …That’s the crux of the issue who will they accept and my expert is bigger than yours. Have a google you might find some mentions on forums about people who went up against Samsung before. Also put it down to experience, next time consider John Lewis, Richer Sounds or Costco, they might be a little more expensive but at least one price matches maybe two and you get a 5 or 6 year warranty

Statutory rights are with the retailer and not the manufacturer.

Op. You are only covered for inherent faults (i.e faults present on day 1) but you have 6 years to make a claim on this. For the first 6 months it up to the retailer to prove the fault isn’t inherent, for the next 5 1/2 years its up to you to prove the fault is inherent.

Get a local engineer to inspect the item and provide you with a letter that says the fault is inherent, once you have this approach the retailer again with the threat of the small claims court if they won’t sort the problem out.
eslick1 h, 29 m ago

Consumer act is what we follow now, it’s quiet messy with some companies a …Consumer act is what we follow now, it’s quiet messy with some companies after a certain time, burden of proof and the experts view needed but have a look. Call Co-op and ask for help under the consumer rights act.https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

It's the Consumer Rights Act. After 6 months the OP will need to show the fault is inherent. gov.uk/acc…nds read this for more help.

Op you need to follow your Consumer rights and not your warranty/guarantee. Your CR are with the retailer - as per the above post.
If you paid ANY of it by Credit Card, you also have equal recourse to the credit card merchant (S75 rights)
Have you done a google of the model to see if it’s a common fault?
I bought a TV 3 years ago and it only had a 2 year guarantee.
If it breaks in the next TEN YEARS, I'm gonna kick up a fuss because I reckon that stated warranties mean nothing.
paulj483 h, 2 m ago

Statutory rights are with the retailer and not the manufacturer.Op. You …Statutory rights are with the retailer and not the manufacturer.Op. You are only covered for inherent faults (i.e faults present on day 1) but you have 6 years to make a claim on this. For the first 6 months it up to the retailer to prove the fault isn’t inherent, for the next 5 1/2 years its up to you to prove the fault is inherent.Get a local engineer to inspect the item and provide you with a letter that says the fault is inherent, once you have this approach the retailer again with the threat of the small claims court if they won’t sort the problem out.

That will teach me to read the op again rather than quickly scrolling up, you are right it should have said Co-op even mentioned that in my earlier reply

It’s all good to get a local engineer report but you have to make sure it’s someone with a good background, there have been cases where the quality of the report has left people in a worst position.

Co-op have also explained the process to the Op.
windym2 h, 5 m ago

It's the Consumer Rights Act. After 6 months the OP will need to show the …It's the Consumer Rights Act. After 6 months the OP will need to show the fault is inherent. https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds read this for more help. Op you need to follow your Consumer rights and not your warranty/guarantee. Your CR are with the retailer - as per the above post.

And that’s what was posted and included the which advice, granted missed out the word rights but made sure it was right at the end of the post.
Edited by: "eslick" 28th Jun
ikcman10 h, 40 m ago

To sell any such item in the EU, remember we are still members, …To sell any such item in the EU, remember we are still members, manufacturers have to offer a 2 year guarantee

The UK opted out of that EU regulation
(((( I called Coop and they said tough, warranty is over. I quoted consumer goods act etc but they said whatever. ))))

Who do they have working in there call centres? Vicky Pollard and Lauren from the Catherine Tate show.
SOUTHWALES1 h, 32 m ago

(((( I called Coop and they said tough, warranty is over. I quoted …(((( I called Coop and they said tough, warranty is over. I quoted consumer goods act etc but they said whatever. ))))Who do they have working in there call centres? Vicky Pollard and Lauren from the Catherine Tate show.

you and the Op could try the CEO customer service team, they normally help more than first line. Car parts 4 less told me they didnt follow the consumer rights act, 4 people including 3 managers told me the same on a part that was faulty and within the first 14 days for return as well. I emailed their CEO like i normally would, but they didnt even have a customer service team but he forwarded the message to his PA. She was lovely, but you could tell she had never had anything like that before but got it sorted and money refunded within minutes.

ceoemail.com/s.p…ive
SOUTHWALES29th Jun

(((( I called Coop and they said tough, warranty is over. I quoted …(((( I called Coop and they said tough, warranty is over. I quoted consumer goods act etc but they said whatever. ))))Who do they have working in there call centres? Vicky Pollard and Lauren from the Catherine Tate show.

Lol I was paraphrasing!
chimp14uk28th Jun

I bought a TV 3 years ago and it only had a 2 year guarantee.If it breaks …I bought a TV 3 years ago and it only had a 2 year guarantee.If it breaks in the next TEN YEARS, I'm gonna kick up a fuss because I reckon that stated warranties mean nothing.

Reductio ad absurdum detected. I like you
Thanks guys for your help. All sorted out now, Samsung, as ‘feature of good will’ have fixed so the drama is sorted!
lukas07042 h, 3 m ago

Thanks guys for your help. All sorted out now, Samsung, as ‘feature of g …Thanks guys for your help. All sorted out now, Samsung, as ‘feature of good will’ have fixed so the drama is sorted!

What did you have to do for them to cave ?¿
SUMMONER5 h, 26 m ago

What did you have to do for them to cave ?¿

I emailed the CEO of the retailer, CC’ed the manufacturer and that did the trick.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants