TV cable/HDMI/magic eye expert

Found 19th Jul
Please bear with me till i explain my set up

Room1 is floor level living room
Room 2 is bedroom upstairs

Digital aerial in loft with wire running to room 1 (aerial in) HD sky box

Aerial out sky box to anti inf booster (in)
Aerial (out1)booster goes to tv room 1

RF2 out goes to room2 upstairs

Have a Dlink DGS-108 switch room1 which goes out to sky box and amazon fire box

Router is in room2 upstairs and cat6 cable runs down to Dlink room1

These wires are all behind wall which i did myself

Both tvs are full HD 55” and 42”

Set up works fine except no hd out of rf2

Is there a way to use hdmi over cat6 with IR but still using switch and same set up

18 metres apart so to long for just hdmi cable

Can i utilise cat6 cable or would i need to lay another one
Community Updates
12 Comments
Do you have an active Sky TV subscription?
yes full package and multi room (for other two rooms so dont want to pay for another box)
If you want to use a network switch you need to convert the HDMI to network traffic rather than just using the CAT6 as a dedicated HDMI cable. This is often called HDMI over IP as a generic term (there are several different standards).

I've no idea how Sky's various restrictions work but if you're trying to get terrestrial TV you may want to look into something that connects to the aerial and makes it available over the network so you only need the ethernet connections and not the aerial ones. e.g. HDHomeRun.
my thinking was a active hdmi splitter out the sky box with one hdmi going to TV and one going to cat6 with ir
but it would mean running another cat6 cable

was looking for a way to avoid the second cable
Edited by: "madmax666" 19th Jul
madmax66615 h, 10 m ago

my thinking was a active hdmi splitter out the sky box with one hdmi going …my thinking was a active hdmi splitter out the sky box with one hdmi going to TV and one going to cat6 with ir but it would mean running another cat6 cablewas looking for a way to avoid the second cable

I don't think you can avoid the second cable I'm sure the hdmi to cat5/6 splitters needs 2 cables.
I had your exact setup last year and was thinking of getting a adapter or even running a 20mtr hdmi cable to upstairs.
But then I got SkyQ on a offer with the mini box so there was no need.
madmax66615 h, 29 m ago

my thinking was a active hdmi splitter out the sky box with one hdmi going …my thinking was a active hdmi splitter out the sky box with one hdmi going to TV and one going to cat6 with ir but it would mean running another cat6 cablewas looking for a way to avoid the second cable

See my post above, you need HDMI over IP devices rather than those that just use CAT6 cable as HDMI cable.

I'm not sure about the remote control functionality, but that's very low bandwidth so shouldn't be an issue to send over the network.
How many pairs are being used for network data in the existing CAT6 to/from R2? You "may" be able to utilise any unused existing pairs for dedicated HDMI over LAN (maybe typically minimum of POE pins 4–5, 7–8 ???), but you would need to hack the existing cable terminations and / or introduce discriminatory Y splitters at each end and consider separation of the HOL from the existing network. Unlikely to introduce cross interference unless long cable run and / or naff quality CAT6. This concept may reduce a gigibit-capable cable network to fast ethernet.
bobdylan3 h, 27 m ago

Something like a wireless HDMI extender: …Something like a wireless HDMI extender: https://www.extron.com/product/elink100

Miles out my price range could get another box and add to my multiroom for for 5 years at that price
but thanks for the idea
EndlessWaves18 h, 56 m ago

If you want to use a network switch you need to convert the HDMI to …If you want to use a network switch you need to convert the HDMI to network traffic rather than just using the CAT6 as a dedicated HDMI cable. This is often called HDMI over IP as a generic term (there are several different standards). I've no idea how Sky's various restrictions work but if you're trying to get terrestrial TV you may want to look into something that connects to the aerial and makes it available over the network so you only need the ethernet connections and not the aerial ones. e.g. HDHomeRun.

not to bothered about the terrestrial to be honest it was handy with upstairs coming out the rf2 as you could watch terrestrial while downstairs watched sky but no big deal if i dont have it
AndyRoyd1 h, 55 m ago

How many pairs are being used for network data in the existing CAT6 …How many pairs are being used for network data in the existing CAT6 to/from R2? You "may" be able to utilise any unused existing pairs for dedicated HDMI over LAN (maybe typically minimum of POE pins 4–5, 7–8 ???), but you would need to hack the existing cable terminations and / or introduce discriminatory Y splitters at each end and consider separation of the HOL from the existing network. Unlikely to introduce cross interference unless long cable run and / or naff quality CAT6. This concept may reduce a gigibit-capable cable network to fast ethernet.

your to cleaver for me and even though i have done a few wiring that is behond me
just as well be honest
Im actually tempted to try a very long hdmi cable (and yes i know what people say)
just bought a 7.5 meter for a ps4 to go up wall over loft and down other wall and it works great (so my son says he can notice no difference from the 1 meter wire)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions