Tv calibration

Posted 26th Feb
Hi there all... just wondering if someone could help with some free software to calibrate a tv to get the best out of it. Pc world sell them for 60 quid. No way I’m paying that.

Does anyone have any ideas please???

Tom
Community Updates

Groups

17 Comments
You can often find 'Best' settings for your TV model on the internet. Try googling your model followed by 'Picture Settings'
yorkie1226/02/2020 12:11

You can often find 'Best' settings for your TV model on the internet. Try …You can often find 'Best' settings for your TV model on the internet. Try googling your model followed by 'Picture Settings'

I’ll try that. Thank you. Thought you needed an app to get the best!
tomwilliams8626/02/2020 12:12

Someone usually calibrates their own and then puts settings up on the web - good luck
Tbh everyone has Thier own preference.
What might be perfect to me , might not be for you
Try adjusting some settings yourself
True colour reproduction requires equipment. Software can't measure colour reproduction without an accurate input. When I used to do monitor calibration for studios I used one of these:
amazon.co.uk/Dat…9K/

The question is, do you actually see an issue or are you just in search of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

If you're not doing professional work and it looks fine to you just leave it.
mogsog26/02/2020 13:28

True colour reproduction requires equipment. Software can't measure …True colour reproduction requires equipment. Software can't measure colour reproduction without an accurate input. When I used to do monitor calibration for studios I used one of these:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Datacolor-SpyderX-Pro-Calibration-photographers/dp/B07M6KPJ9K/The question is, do you actually see an issue or are you just in search of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?If you're not doing professional work and it looks fine to you just leave it.

The blacks are not black. I’ve read the problem with these TVs about the black lines when watching films. They are more grey at night. Any ideas??
tomwilliams8626/02/2020 13:45

The blacks are not black. I’ve read the problem with these TVs about the b …The blacks are not black. I’ve read the problem with these TVs about the black lines when watching films. They are more grey at night. Any ideas??

Isn't that just an inherent issue with LCD due to the backlight?
Gormond26/02/2020 13:51

Isn't that just an inherent issue with LCD due to the backlight?

I don’t know
tomwilliams8626/02/2020 13:52

I don’t know

I know all my LCD TVs have had the same issue when displaying dark scenes in movies, something my OLED has no issues with.
tomwilliams8626/02/2020 13:45

The blacks are not black. I’ve read the problem with these TVs about the b …The blacks are not black. I’ve read the problem with these TVs about the black lines when watching films. They are more grey at night. Any ideas??

Black should always be black regardless of how you dial in the colour settings. Sounds like an inherent issue with the display itself.

What's the make and model?
Gormond26/02/2020 13:54

I know all my LCD TVs have had the same issue when displaying dark scenes …I know all my LCD TVs have had the same issue when displaying dark scenes in movies, something my OLED has no issues with.

I couldn’t afford a oled lol
Generally you won't get true, inky blacks unless using an OLED. But I would play around with the brightness and contrast on your TV and try find a balance where you get blacks you are happy with without losing too much quality elsewhere. I'd suggest dropping the brightness and trying to up the contrast.
Short version.
If you really want proper calibration you can buy the tools used on ebay, do the calibration and then sell on Ebay at the same price.
However, you may find that the calibrated picture is not to your preference (it isn't to most people as they are used to something different).
Googling for other settings is usually a good starting point as said before.
smashed26/02/2020 16:35

Short version.If you really want proper calibration you can buy the tools …Short version.If you really want proper calibration you can buy the tools used on ebay, do the calibration and then sell on Ebay at the same price.However, you may find that the calibrated picture is not to your preference (it isn't to most people as they are used to something different).Googling for other settings is usually a good starting point as said before.

Yep, however if the model is junk no amount of calibration will fix a bad panel.
tomwilliams8626/02/2020 12:12

Don’t copy settings off the internet. Panels vary during manufacturing. If I copied them on my current tv for example, it adds a heavy green tone to my skin colours. Only use this as a base line. Then tweak with this free software. avsforum.com/for…tml

If black still looks grey, then buy some lights like these avsforum.com/for…tml and put them around the back of the TV (they will stick to it). Bias lighting will make your eyes perceive the grey colours as black.
Picture Perfect Ultra HD? - Heck, it IS £60.... Got one from a charity shop for £1, yes, one whole pound
Can be found for £13.99 on ebay.

It's just some talk-throughs and test pieces on Blu-Ray, DVD & USB stick.

Could try looking for Test Card F on YouTube

Best way to get the darker shades to render better at night, is to use adaptive backlight, where the backlight brightness is adjusted with ambient light - some call this "ECO" mode as it uses less power in lower light - if the black is as dark as it will go from contrast up / brightness down (on LCD screens), then the only way to get it darker is to reduce the backlight
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants