Groups

TV Capture Thingy for Laptop to capture PS3 (HDMI)

Son wants a capture card thingy for his laptop to capture his PS3 gameplay. Need it for a gift so boxed/as new would be great but will consider anything. Must work with PS3 though (HDMI)

8 Comments

Original Poster

bumpy

Original Poster

bump

The PS3's HDMI output is copy protected so cannot be recorded by any capture card available in the UK. The best bet is to switch to component (so new cable needed then) and record using Blackmagic Intensity Pro, which costs about £135 from www.scan.co.uk.

Or just get a £10 usb recorder from ebay and then just record off the composite

Original Poster

Easy2BCheesy

The PS3's HDMI output is copy protected so cannot be recorded by any … The PS3's HDMI output is copy protected so cannot be recorded by any capture card available in the UK. The best bet is to switch to component (so new cable needed then) and record using Blackmagic Intensity Pro, which costs about £135 from www.scan.co.uk.

Easy2BCheesy

The PS3's HDMI output is copy protected so cannot be recorded by any … The PS3's HDMI output is copy protected so cannot be recorded by any capture card available in the UK. The best bet is to switch to component (so new cable needed then) and record using Blackmagic Intensity Pro, which costs about £135 from www.scan.co.uk.

Adam2050

Or just get a £10 usb recorder from ebay and then just record off the … Or just get a £10 usb recorder from ebay and then just record off the composite

thanks for the advice guys, Adam, could you reconmend something that would do the job, think i'm a bit out of my depth here and dont want to get the wrong thing, deffinately liking the sound of £10 as opposed to £135

mods, could you move this thread to misc so I can get some more advice please

mod

Movd to Misc at OP request

Original Poster

can anyone advise me of the best sort of thing to get, cheapet ideally but needs to do good quality recordings

To capture HD, Avermedia currently produce several HD capture cards which will accept HDCP encrypted signals. Have a look at avermedia.com for details. I currently use Avermedia Capture HD on a mini ITX PC but capturing the video does result in very low frame rate (and this is decoded using the CPU too and not via an inbuilt decoder), although I have not updated to the new software yet. - EDIT : Just tried the latest driver and software but HDCP recording has been disabled. It is available with earlier software.

I am not sure if Avermedia produce a USB version for a laptop but Hauppage have an USB solution (HD PVR) like the blackMagic offering mentioned earlier which can capture from component signals but I don't know if the PS3 possesses component output.

Edited by: "ElliottC" 10th Dec 2010
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Teenage son new phone (1250 budget)11
      2. Moving Light Switch / Wireless options67
      3. dishwasher mistake1117
      4. Virgin Media when moving house69

See more discussions