TV fault. Anyone had this issue before?

Found 13th Dec 2017
ibb.co/mMbTSw

Tv has suddenly shown this issue. Anyone have any idea what this is? Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Is it google calendar?
Shengis15 m ago

Is it google calendar?

No it’s the calendar that’s part of the tv software. That dark purple like area appears outside of that calendar too. The calendar image just shows it off better.
Probably bad backlights.
.MUFC.32 m ago

Probably bad backlights.

I was thinking that too because it has gone dark across the top and a little towards the bottom. Just the purple part that should be white is confusing me. Thanks for the help mate.
Biddy24 m ago

I was thinking that too because it has gone dark across the top and a …I was thinking that too because it has gone dark across the top and a little towards the bottom. Just the purple part that should be white is confusing me. Thanks for the help mate.

You're welcome, it's very common for a few LEDs to fail, assuming it's led that is?. If not it would be a failed tube. Either way it's likely to be something to do with the lighting. Is it under warranty?.
.MUFC.33 m ago

You're welcome, it's very common for a few LEDs to fail, assuming it's led …You're welcome, it's very common for a few LEDs to fail, assuming it's led that is?. If not it would be a failed tube. Either way it's likely to be something to do with the lighting. Is it under warranty?.

Yeah it is an LED tv. I sold it on eBay the other day and it was fully working then (Had the tv set up for him to view too) but when the bloke set it up at home, it shown this fault. I’ve asked for him to bring it back and I’d refund him. It’s still covered under warranty for a couple more years fortunately so I’ll look into getting Richer Sounds/Panasonic to repair it. If they won’t, I’ll have to try fixing it myself or cut my losses I guess.
Could also be a pressure mark, Might have been mishandled? or had something put on top of it?. There are a few methods on youtube that may fix the problem but how well or for how long they may or may not work I have no idea, Although I did reduce a pressure mark on an old laptop by massaging it a little.
.MUFC.27 m ago

Could also be a pressure mark, Might have been mishandled? or had …Could also be a pressure mark, Might have been mishandled? or had something put on top of it?. There are a few methods on youtube that may fix the problem but how well or for how long they may or may not work I have no idea, Although I did reduce a pressure mark on an old laptop by massaging it a little.

That is my other suspicion as it’s been working perfect for 2 years and in a day of it being collected and set up, it now has that problem. I’m hoping it’s the backlight though so I can get it repaired as there’s no chance of a manufacturer repairing a pressure mark. I’ll have a nosey on youtube for fixes just in case although as you say, not sure how well it will work as it is taking up a pretty big portion of the screen. Annoying really if that is the fault.
Biddy211 m ago

That is my other suspicion as it’s been working perfect for 2 years and in …That is my other suspicion as it’s been working perfect for 2 years and in a day of it being collected and set up, it now has that problem. I’m hoping it’s the backlight though so I can get it repaired as there’s no chance of a manufacturer repairing a pressure mark. I’ll have a nosey on youtube for fixes just in case although as you say, not sure how well it will work as it is taking up a pretty big portion of the screen. Annoying really if that is the fault.

I noticed that most led strips tend to run horizontally, Yours seems to be vertical so it could just be a fluke that all the middle leds have failed or are failing or the leds may run vertically and have an whole strip out. If not then likely a pressure mark which like you say isn't ideal.
.MUFC.14 m ago

I noticed that most led strips tend to run horizontally, Yours seems to be …I noticed that most led strips tend to run horizontally, Yours seems to be vertical so it could just be a fluke that all the middle leds have failed or are failing or the leds may run vertically and have an whole strip out. If not then likely a pressure mark which like you say isn't ideal.

I wonder if a ribbon cable has dislodged during transit too?

I have no other option but to refund the buyer, even if they have caused pressure damage, when they return it really as I’d rather have a chance at repairing it than lose the TV and the money due to Paypal’s stupid system. Sucks because the money I got from this was being used to offset some of the costs of a new tv. Just have to wait and see I guess. Buyer is supposed to be returning it today so will have a look at it when they do. Thanks again for the help again mate. Really appreciate it.
Biddy213 m ago

I wonder if a ribbon cable has dislodged during transit too? I have no …I wonder if a ribbon cable has dislodged during transit too? I have no other option but to refund the buyer, even if they have caused pressure damage, when they return it really as I’d rather have a chance at repairing it than lose the TV and the money due to Paypal’s stupid system. Sucks because the money I got from this was being used to offset some of the costs of a new tv. Just have to wait and see I guess. Buyer is supposed to be returning it today so will have a look at it when they do. Thanks again for the help again mate. Really appreciate it.

You're welcome, Not sure if newer LED tv's have ribbon sections like they did a few years back, In those cases the whole area would usually be all blank or funny coloured. Maybe slim chance but unlikely.
deleted1023990
Afternoon biddy. Sensible to have the item returned then refund, then look at a repair, as you say.
Could the fault be some kind of banding issue?
(see google image search for LED banding)
deleted102399013th Dec 2017

Afternoon biddy. Sensible to have the item returned then refund, then look …Afternoon biddy. Sensible to have the item returned then refund, then look at a repair, as you say. Could the fault be some kind of banding issue? (see google image search for LED banding)

Thanks for that. Just googled it and the images looked like “dirty screen effect”. This set had some of that (like most sets these days, bloody manufacturers. ) but the issue seems different here due to the top of the screen going completely black (should be that brown colour to the left) and the white calendar turning blue. Have no idea what it could be and I’m still waiting on the tv coming back before I can look at it in depth. I’m half wondering if the power cable hasn’t been push in enough at the back and it’s caused that to show through it not having enough power running through it.

Guess I’ll find out soon enough though as it’s being returned this evening.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 13th Dec 2017
deleted1023990
I guess so, good luck with biddy. Fingers crossed for you!
.MUFC.13th Dec 2017

You're welcome, Not sure if newer LED tv's have ribbon sections like they …You're welcome, Not sure if newer LED tv's have ribbon sections like they did a few years back, In those cases the whole area would usually be all blank or funny coloured. Maybe slim chance but unlikely.

deleted102399013th Dec 2017

I guess so, good luck with biddy. Fingers crossed for you!

Well the tv is back and I’ve examined it. The screen is cracked so probably no chance of getting this fixed under warranty. Not sure how it happened but it’s happened I guess. Thanks for the help today anyway.
Biddy244 m ago

Well the tv is back and I’ve examined it. The screen is cracked so p …Well the tv is back and I’ve examined it. The screen is cracked so probably no chance of getting this fixed under warranty. Not sure how it happened but it’s happened I guess. Thanks for the help today anyway.

Thanks for update, I guess they must have broke it or perhaps switched screens. Is it the same TV?.
.MUFC.4 m ago

Thanks for update, I guess they must have broke it or perhaps switched …Thanks for update, I guess they must have broke it or perhaps switched screens. Is it the same TV?.

Definitely the same. Checked the serial number and the software looks the same as it did when I sold it. Not sure if the screen was swapped out but I don’t think it was. The bloke was too honest and friendly and asked me to get in touch if I managed to get Panasonic to fix it.
wait wait wait wait a minute......You sold it working and got it back broken.

Damn dude....

If you did it through eBay and he collected, he must have paid cash right? because you would be stupid to accept Paypal for a pick up item.

If that is the case, and I hope it is you should have told him to keep the tv he has broken and not bother you again.
benjammin31659 m ago

wait wait wait wait a minute......You sold it working and got it back …wait wait wait wait a minute......You sold it working and got it back broken. Damn dude....If you did it through eBay and he collected, he must have paid cash right? because you would be stupid to accept Paypal for a pick up item. If that is the case, and I hope it is you should have told him to keep the tv he has broken and not bother you again.

The bloke turned up and didn’t have the cash on him but was able to pay via paypal. I trusted him and accepted that. (Perhaps I’m too nice for my own good but he was a decent bloke in my opinion) He had driven a 180 mile round trip to get this tv and 180 miles to bring it back. I don’t think he has been trying to scam me as he could have just put the claim in and not bothered returning it..

It’s happened now anyway. Just got to suck it up.
Biddy27 m ago

The bloke turned up and didn’t have the cash on him but was able to pay v …The bloke turned up and didn’t have the cash on him but was able to pay via paypal. I trusted him and accepted that. (Perhaps I’m too nice for my own good but he was a decent bloke in my opinion) He had driven a 180 mile round trip to get this tv and 180 miles to bring it back. I don’t think he has been trying to scam me as he could have just put the claim in and not bothered returning it..It’s happened now anyway. Just got to suck it up.

Maybe it's got damaged in transit, Perhaps the cold might have cracked it?. It's frustrating, I think you're both probably too honest, It wouldn't be worth driving those distances to scam you I agree.

I hope good karma does you a good deed, I hope he was being honest.
.MUFC.13 m ago

Maybe it's got damaged in transit, Perhaps the cold might have cracked …Maybe it's got damaged in transit, Perhaps the cold might have cracked it?. It's frustrating, I think you're both probably too honest, It wouldn't be worth driving those distances to scam you I agree.I hope good karma does you a good deed, I hope he was being honest.

Cheers.

He did say he was surprised I was willing to help him as he bought it from me without warranty so I’m not sure it had even entered his mind to do a paypal chargeback. Just one of those things I guess but I am wondering if the cold weather may have affected it. Going from that cold to on probably did it no favours. Just one of those things as annoying as it is I guess.
Biddy217 m ago

Cheers. He did say he was surprised I was willing to help him as he …Cheers. He did say he was surprised I was willing to help him as he bought it from me without warranty so I’m not sure it had even entered his mind to do a paypal chargeback. Just one of those things I guess but I am wondering if the cold weather may have affected it. Going from that cold to on probably did it no favours. Just one of those things as annoying as it is I guess.

You've gone beyond your duty, It's one of those things, It happens. Frustrating but tomorrow is another day, It's only money, You can't take it with you :(.
deleted1023990
Sorry to hear about the screen. You've handled it well though mate, sounds like it's just one of awkward and unfortunate situations that life chucks at all of us at some point. Well done for moving on and dealing with it like you did!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants