TV faulty, offered a partial refund but should I reject it and move on?

Posted 19th Dec 2019
So recently the kids tv failed and with the PS5 out next year, I was just looking for a cheapo used tv as i'll be buying them a new one when the PS5 is out. I found a hospice online selling a samsung tv which i bought for £140, I probably over paid for it as its missing the stand and is quite old now (2012 model). It was advertised as having a surface scratch on the screen that "doesn't effect the picture". The surface scratch actually goes deep into the lcd panel and on darker colours you can see the damage to the pixels when watching the tv.. about 8 to 10 pixels completely missing/damaged.

I contacted them and they've offered a partial refund of £25 (Tv is probs worth £100/£120). But now im wondering whether to accept it or just forget about it and move on.

Its a hospice and I feel guilty now taking money back But at the same time they've described it inaccurately and are operating as a business.

This is where the people of HUKD come in.

You decide......

Go...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Send it back for a full refund. An honest charity should not make money by misleading people (even if it wasn't deliberate).

Don't write it off with the "oh but it's a charity" reasoning unless you were intending to give them a separate donation anyway. Donations should be made willingly, not forced through misfortune.
It's a hospice. Park it in your mind as making a "charitable donation" and move on.
You must be able to afford it if you’re buying a stop gap tv then a ps5 and top of the range tv so stop moaning
Send it back. It was probably donated to them so they will not be losing money. Why not just buy a new TV now? Why would you need a new one when the PS5 comes out?
35 Comments
It's a hospice. Park it in your mind as making a "charitable donation" and move on.
Send it back. It was probably donated to them so they will not be losing money. Why not just buy a new TV now? Why would you need a new one when the PS5 comes out?
You must be able to afford it if you’re buying a stop gap tv then a ps5 and top of the range tv so stop moaning
If it makes you feel better take the £25 but don’t send it back and get and receive a refund
I understand your dilemma and sympathise. You thought you were helping a charity out (you were) and getting a bargain for yourself too. Unfortunately it's the old issue of buying second hand. You paid your money and you took your chance. If the money is the main factor take it back. If its a moral issue and , as others have said, if you can afford it simply shrug your shoulders and move on.
I also see that it was not as described, but these places are run by well meaning volunteers with little or no training. Any description should be 'taken with a pinch of salt'.
Full credit to you for supporting a hospice charity.

(incidentally, if you decided to return it and they refused a refund would you be prepared to take a charity to small claims court?)
I work for a reuse charity and yes all the statutory rights of a big shop apply to us too, we pat and run test all our electronics, get a refund based on 'not as described.

Also check of there is a gree PAT tested sticker, if not it was illegal to sell.
Edited by: "taffyjock1" 19th Dec 2019
Send it back for full refund, if it’s not what you paid for... a 2012 Samsung isn’t even worth £100 never mind £140...
And the moral is ... Don`t buy secondhand tvs
Send it back for a full refund. An honest charity should not make money by misleading people (even if it wasn't deliberate).

Don't write it off with the "oh but it's a charity" reasoning unless you were intending to give them a separate donation anyway. Donations should be made willingly, not forced through misfortune.
Just see if you can return it for a full refund. They have described the TV inaccurately so you shouldn't have any qualms about getting your money back as the item was not in the condition you were lead to believe it would be. But as others have said, just use the money from the full refund to get a tv now or save it towards a better specced one, no point in spending £140 on a second hand 2012 Samsung as a stopgap.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 19th Dec 2019
Forget the charity part and ask yourself the same question again on the basis of it being a retail transaction albeit of used goods. As an ex manager of a charity shop I made sure all electrical items was tested to the best of our abilities and any faults clearly described, obviously not everything could be tested (ie washing machines and cookers for example) and we did get the odd item returned, but we made it clear if something was untested (beyond the standard PAT testing which if it was electrical it must have before leaving the premises - no ifs buts or maybes). This though would have likely been binned by me before even getting PAT tested as a clear picture is a main function of a TV, we wasnt supposed to even plug stuff in before the PAT test but I did after hours to give a quick check before we forked out for the PAT testing as at £1 per item failures can soon add up, around 10-20% of items was faulty and nonfunctional and at 50 plus items per week its not an insignificant amount. Even after checking for function some items failed on the safety side each week.
People who own the hospices are paid well over £150k - get a refund.

Never ever give cash to a charity where the owners are not volunteers - my number one rule in life.
to get a TV for the PS5 you will need a set capable of hdmi 2.1 for all the fancy features which will set you back over £1k. Yes you can play the ps5 on sets capable hdmi 2.0 ect.. but you won't get the fancy new features of the new standard anyway it's up to you mate all down to how you feel and go with it. don't have to listen to anyone on here. hospices need the money and you may need it too so if you can't bear losing that money then get a refund
Get a refund. Just because it’s a charity doesn’t mean they should be ripping people off. If they refuse then report them to trading standards
1 votes to Let it go
7 votes to demand a full refund
1 votes take a partial refund

I forgot to mention that the hospice was 1 hour drive away which is £12 in fuel (£22 lost if I return it). With it being a tv just for the kids room I was prepared to maybe keep the tv, Hence why im stuck in the dilemma of letting it go or taking a partial refund. I never give money to charities because I know the directors are on mega bucks and all employees are paid before any money actually goes to people in need. But im also a advocate for recycling and the environment.
J4GG419/12/2019 11:54

1 votes to Let it go7 votes to demand a full refund1 votes take a partial …1 votes to Let it go7 votes to demand a full refund1 votes take a partial refundI forgot to mention that the hospice was 1 hour drive away which is £12 in fuel (£22 lost if I return it). With it being a tv just for the kids room I was prepared to maybe keep the tv, Hence why im stuck in the dilemma of letting it go or taking a partial refund. I never give money to charities because I know the directors are on mega bucks and all employees are paid before any money actually goes to people in need. But im also a advocate for recycling and the environment.

If the hospice has a chief-executive who earns more than 2x average national salary, ask for a refund.
Else, let it go.

A charity should not offer high salaries as Oxfam does. The bosses workers should work for the giving and not as a career.
If they want a business salary, treat them like a business and ask for a refund and compensation.
666FU19/12/2019 03:39

Send it back. It was probably donated to them so they will not be losing …Send it back. It was probably donated to them so they will not be losing money. Why not just buy a new TV now? Why would you need a new one when the PS5 comes out?

Im not planning to buy a 1k tv for the kids room just for a PS5. The new tv will be in my living room and it'll be HDMI 2.1 which aren't out at the moment..etc.

gangsta45619/12/2019 05:16

Comment deleted

Honestly, I do not donate money to charities. I only donate clothes/items if I need to.

Scotland131419/12/2019 06:36

You must be able to afford it if you’re buying a stop gap tv then a ps5 a …You must be able to afford it if you’re buying a stop gap tv then a ps5 and top of the range tv so stop moaning

How have you got 5 likes on that comment? perhaps if someone could afford a tv as a 1 year stop gap tv then they'd buy a brand spanking new one? perhaps the PS5 is for my kids for christmas next year? perhaps im a parent that works and wants to provide the latest things for my kids? just maybe, Bit of common sense needed before getting jealous and moaning about my financial situation. You just need a job to make money, its very simple. I am not a millionaire or rich in any way.

Ringfinger19/12/2019 07:16

I understand your dilemma and sympathise. You thought you were helping a …I understand your dilemma and sympathise. You thought you were helping a charity out (you were) and getting a bargain for yourself too. Unfortunately it's the old issue of buying second hand. You paid your money and you took your chance. If the money is the main factor take it back. If its a moral issue and , as others have said, if you can afford it simply shrug your shoulders and move on.I also see that it was not as described, but these places are run by well meaning volunteers with little or no training. Any description should be 'taken with a pinch of salt'. Full credit to you for supporting a hospice charity. (incidentally, if you decided to return it and they refused a refund would you be prepared to take a charity to small claims court?)

Thanks for your input. To answer your question "can you afford it" its christmas, should I say anymore? Its the time of year to buy all your presents, but at the same time be as tight as you can in all other departments.

taffyjock119/12/2019 08:05

I work for a reuse charity and yes all the statutory rights of a big shop …I work for a reuse charity and yes all the statutory rights of a big shop apply to us too, we pat and run test all our electronics, get a refund based on 'not as described.Also check of there is a gree PAT tested sticker, if not it was illegal to sell.

Im not the type to chase a charity over PAT testing. But there isn't any sticker to say it was tested, not even on the plug itself.

mikeportsmouth19/12/2019 08:24

And the moral is ... Don`t buy secondhand tvs

Its not faulty. Neither are all used tv's faulty. Its a issue with the seller who didn't advertise it correctly.

paul_merton19/12/2019 08:51

Send it back for a full refund. An honest charity should not make money by …Send it back for a full refund. An honest charity should not make money by misleading people (even if it wasn't deliberate).Don't write it off with the "oh but it's a charity" reasoning unless you were intending to give them a separate donation anyway. Donations should be made willingly, not forced through misfortune.

Very true.

Haircut_10019/12/2019 10:02

Just see if you can return it for a full refund. They have described the …Just see if you can return it for a full refund. They have described the TV inaccurately so you shouldn't have any qualms about getting your money back as the item was not in the condition you were lead to believe it would be. But as others have said, just use the money from the full refund to get a tv now or save it towards a better specced one, no point in spending £140 on a second hand 2012 Samsung as a stopgap.

That is true but please see my post about the travelling/distance to this charity.

harlzter19/12/2019 10:05

Forget the charity part and ask yourself the same question again on the …Forget the charity part and ask yourself the same question again on the basis of it being a retail transaction albeit of used goods. As an ex manager of a charity shop I made sure all electrical items was tested to the best of our abilities and any faults clearly described, obviously not everything could be tested (ie washing machines and cookers for example) and we did get the odd item returned, but we made it clear if something was untested (beyond the standard PAT testing which if it was electrical it must have before leaving the premises - no ifs buts or maybes). This though would have likely been binned by me before even getting PAT tested as a clear picture is a main function of a TV, we wasnt supposed to even plug stuff in before the PAT test but I did after hours to give a quick check before we forked out for the PAT testing as at £1 per item failures can soon add up, around 10-20% of items was faulty and nonfunctional and at 50 plus items per week its not an insignificant amount. Even after checking for function some items failed on the safety side each week.

Thats why im a little confused, I am thinking about them being a charity, but at the same time a business. Stuck in the middle a little. BTW it has not PAT testing sticker on the plug.

MrKrabs19/12/2019 10:15

People who own the hospices are paid well over £150k - get a refund.Never …People who own the hospices are paid well over £150k - get a refund.Never ever give cash to a charity where the owners are not volunteers - my number one rule in life.

Argh this annoys me, and you are probably right. This is why I don't give money to charities.

Justsuperman19/12/2019 10:54

to get a TV for the PS5 you will need a set capable of hdmi 2.1 for all …to get a TV for the PS5 you will need a set capable of hdmi 2.1 for all the fancy features which will set you back over £1k. Yes you can play the ps5 on sets capable hdmi 2.0 ect.. but you won't get the fancy new features of the new standard anyway it's up to you mate all down to how you feel and go with it. don't have to listen to anyone on here. hospices need the money and you may need it too so if you can't bear losing that money then get a refund

When I say Im going to buy a TV to pair with the PS5. I mean in my living room. I know i'll be spending 2k next christmas (minimum) so I was looking to get something cheap for now.

Arthurswhiskers19/12/2019 11:13

Get a refund. Just because it’s a charity doesn’t mean they should be rip …Get a refund. Just because it’s a charity doesn’t mean they should be ripping people off. If they refuse then report them to trading standards

Distance to the charity is a bit out the way, thats the only issue.
Common.Sense19/12/2019 12:02

If the hospice has a chief-executive who earns more than 2x average …If the hospice has a chief-executive who earns more than 2x average national salary, ask for a refund.Else, let it go.A charity should not offer high salaries as Oxfam does. The bosses workers should work for the giving and not as a career.If they want a business salary, treat them like a business and ask for a refund and compensation.

Probably the most common sense reply in here, if I do say so myself
Edited by: "J4GG4" 19th Dec 2019
Return the Samsung back to the charity shop for a refund, just write off the cost of the petrol as one of those things that happens in life, and put your refunded money towards this TV for the kids from the official Panasonic eBay outlet, it will be miles better than the Samsung ever was.

rover.ebay.com/rov…754
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 19th Dec 2019
I hate to chastise but wow, that's a LOT of money you paid for a damaged TV. What ever were you thinking? How big was this telly as that seems a steep price for a charity organisation to be asking. I've seen biggish sets in several shops lately and they tend to ask prices around £25-65.

I know it's a bit late now, but it's really your decision to make as to whether you return it. It's a moral decision I guess. Yes, they are a charity but equally yes, you are correct - they are foremost a business. I take it you've only had the TV for a day or two? How was it delivered? It didn't get further damage in delivery that the hospice weren't privy to perhaps?

It's a bit naughty to bang a TV out in poor condition like that but maybe they didn't know. I am in no way sticking up for them but I know some 'electricals' just get a PAT test and that's it! They might switch it on to make sure it powers up and then onto the shop floor it goes. Someone obviously noted the damage to the screen and listed as such but never checked the extent of the damage to the picture. Perhaps whoever donated the TV may have even under-exaggerated the extent of the damage?

If ever you need a 'stopgap' TV, hit Gumtree in your locale. There will be loads of em'. I looked at mine today and saw at least half a dozen TV's. All described as great condition and going for a song. People are just trading up for a new TV for Xmas so you can bag a bargain - AND you can see it working before purchase.

All the best on making your decision, OP. It's a toughie - that's for sure. Try not to let it spoil your enjoyment of the season too much, eh?

Kind Regards, Phsy.
Costco give a "3 month rental" for the membership fee and free return pickup. Very naughty!
Edited by: "Common.Sense" 19th Dec 2019
J4GG419/12/2019 12:03

Im not the type to chase a charity over PAT testing. But there isn't any …Im not the type to chase a charity over PAT testing. But there isn't any sticker to say it was tested, not even on the plug itself.

If that is true J4GG4, then they may have made a grave error. I would be pointing that out to them as it's quite serious. If someone has a piece of equipment that hasn't been tested for electrical safety - that needs addressing. If not only for your sake but for others too, including employees.

They could face serious legal issues if someone were to be injured and it's something I think they would be quick to respond to and rectify.

* ADDITIONAL *
I've edited the above as I felt how I worded it made it sound as if I only meant if the shop 'sold' an item. This is not the case. It is more for having an untested electrical product on the premises.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 19th Dec 2019
Phsycronix19/12/2019 12:10

I hate to chastise but wow, that's a LOT of money you paid for a damaged …I hate to chastise but wow, that's a LOT of money you paid for a damaged TV. What ever were you thinking? How big was this telly as that seems a steep price for a charity organisation to be asking. I've seen biggish sets in several shops lately and they tend to ask prices around £25-65.I know it's a bit late now, but it's really your decision to make as to whether you return it. It's a moral decision I guess. Yes, they are a charity but equally yes, you are correct - they are foremost a business. I take it you've only had the TV for a day or two? How was it delivered? It didn't get further damage in delivery that the hospice weren't privy to perhaps?It's a bit naughty to bang a TV out in poor condition like that but maybe they didn't know. I am in no way sticking up for them but I know some 'electricals' just get a PAT test and that's it! They might switch it on to make sure it powers up and then onto the shop floor it goes. Someone obviously noted the damage to the screen and listed as such but never checked the extent of the damage to the picture. Perhaps whoever donated the TV may have even under-exaggerated the extent of the damage?If ever you need a 'stopgap' TV, hit Gumtree in your locale. There will be loads of em'. I looked at mine today and saw at least half a dozen TV's. All described as great condition and going for a song. People are just trading up for a new TV for Xmas so you can bag a bargain - AND you can see it working before purchase.All the best on making your decision, OP. It's a toughie - that's for sure. Try not to let it spoil your enjoyment of the season too much, eh?Kind Regards, Phsy.

I picked the TV up 2 days ago and contacted them 1 day later, immediately after testing it. It couldn't of got damaged during its journey home as I went prepared and had bubble wrapped it like a mummy. The damaged pixels are exactly where the mentioned scratch is too. Its actually only a 32" and I assumed their description was accurate. Its one of the top of the range samsungs of its time, when release it was £899 and up to a year ago a retailer was selling them for £369. I think, even if they did test it correctly to ascertain whether theres damage to the LCD or not, they may of had it on a light coloured picture (white) which doesn't show the damage at all. Its only visible on dark images. If the tv was for myself, it would drive me nuts, but as its for the kids room it wouldn't effect them if at all.
J4GG419/12/2019 12:40

I picked the TV up 2 days ago and contacted them 1 day later, immediately …I picked the TV up 2 days ago and contacted them 1 day later, immediately after testing it. It couldn't of got damaged during its journey home as I went prepared and had bubble wrapped it like a mummy. The damaged pixels are exactly where the mentioned scratch is too. Its actually only a 32" and I assumed their description was accurate. Its one of the top of the range samsungs of its time, when release it was £899 and up to a year ago a retailer was selling them for £369. I think, even if they did test it correctly to ascertain whether theres damage to the LCD or not, they may of had it on a light coloured picture (white) which doesn't show the damage at all. Its only visible on dark images. If the tv was for myself, it would drive me nuts, but as its for the kids room it wouldn't effect them if at all.

I'll be honest. I'm not sure what to say to you without coming across as a real *bleep*

You paid £140 for a damaged 32" TV ???

When you said you'd seen it online, I naturally assumed you'd ordered it 'online' and had it delivered. That's what led me to think it may have received 'extra' damage. But you collected it yourself? I take it you didn't get to see it working in the store?

Irrespective of the above, it's still an issue that the TV may have been supplied without being properly tested. I would return it on that basis alone. Yes, it will cost you money to return but lets face it - you're going to be quids-in when put against either keeping the TV or taking a £25 gesture refund.

I feel awful for you actually. I have no qualms in recommending you take it back, to be fair. If they want to be 'uppity' about it, then point out the fact that children would have been using the TV - which hasn't been tested properly for safety.
I got 5 like because people agree with me. I have a job by the way and well payed to.
Scotland131419/12/2019 14:29

I got 5 like because people agree with me. I have a job by the way and …I got 5 like because people agree with me. I have a job by the way and well payed to.

*Paid

Theres no moaning going on here. Maybe the 5 others misunderstood that as well? if you want to call it moaning, perhaps its justified moaning? A product was sold with an inaccurate description, whether that be used or new it doesn't matter.

Your comment comes across as if you're upset I can afford a stop gap tv and a ps5. Comes across as if you're jealous (correct me if im wrong). What does me being able to afford something have anything to do with a company that sold a damaged item? And if I can apparently afford it, why aren't I buying a brand spanking new tv as a stop gap tv? Please answer as genuinely confused.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 19th Dec 2019
taffyjock119/12/2019 08:05

I work for a reuse charity and yes all the statutory rights of a big shop …I work for a reuse charity and yes all the statutory rights of a big shop apply to us too, we pat and run test all our electronics, get a refund based on 'not as described.Also check of there is a gree PAT tested sticker, if not it was illegal to sell.

Not saying you're incorrect, but can you please provide reference to the statute which states a PAT sticker is a legal requirement please? I'm intrigued for future reference.
pat.org.uk/is-…nt/

"There is currently no strict legal requirement for PAT testing. The Government however has put regulations into place that pertain to the maintenance of electrical appliances and the most effective way to ensure that these regulations are met is through PAT testing."

What we need to consider is not the fact that a piece of equipment may have left the premises in an unfit state - it's the fact that it could be faulty/dangerous whilst AT the premises, and could subsequently be plugged in by a volunteer/employee. This is why PAT testing is done. It's not specifically for the consumer but also for protection of an operator PRIOR to sale/use. To comply with H & S regulation, businesses need to test and demonstrate their equipment is safe to use. This information is then recorded.

In the OP's situation, it is therefore of interest to ascertain whether this test has been carried out. Whilst it's true that the product doesn't legally have to be 'stickered' (or tested) it is unusual for a business that carries out PAT testing not to do this.

I can only speak from personal observation but almost ALL the charity shops in my town do PAT testing - and the ones that don't do not sell electrical goods. Of the ones that do test, they ALL 'sticker' the goods. In fact, the Sue Ryder store stopped selling items specifically because they had no-one to PAT test. They have since started again as they now have someone trained to do them.
Phsycronix19/12/2019 12:19

If that is true J4GG4, then they have made a grave error. I would be …If that is true J4GG4, then they have made a grave error. I would be pointing that out to them as it's quite serious. If someone has let a piece of equipment go that hasn't been tested for electrical safety - that needs addressing. If not only for your sake but for others too.They could face serious legal issues if someone were to be injured and it's something I think they would be quick to respond to and rectify.

At our shops it was a sackable offence under gross misconduct due to the legal and potentially fatal consequences.

BTW managers at the shops I worked at was only only about 30p over minimum wage, but the higher ups area managers and directors was somehow driving brand new Audis. Mercs and BMW's replaced every couple of years which irked me as the wage to responsibility we carried was poor yet somehow they justified paying ridiculous wages to the big chiefs. I make a much better wage doing security and door work and at least the gaffers have your back.
Why would we decide for you? but if you insist.....

Get the refund and give it me, sharing is caring.

Happy holidays
easyphones19/12/2019 14:36

Not saying you're incorrect, but can you please provide reference to the …Not saying you're incorrect, but can you please provide reference to the statute which states a PAT sticker is a legal requirement please? I'm intrigued for future reference.

Ok maybe illegal was a bit strong, but if it ever went to court they would have no proof that "due diligence" took place and would be hammered with fines.

What is illegal though would be non compliant plugs, wrong size, shape or no sheathed pins, which trading standards take a dim view of.
What's a hospice?
u66454119/12/2019 20:16

What's a hospice?

Urine, the same as cows.

#bomtish
Just be thankful Ronald doesn't seem to be around any longer
taffyjock119/12/2019 21:21

Urine, the same as cows.#bomtish

I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em down
deeky19/12/2019 21:28

Just be thankful Ronald doesn't seem to be around any longer

Oh I would bet my life he is. My profile is his homepage.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions