Tv for Gaming

Found 23rd Dec 2017
I’ve recently bought a PS4 Pro for my son and now need to buy a TV so he can play but I have no knowledge of what type of TV to buy so would appreciate advice.

My budget is around £150-£175.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
What screen size ? Running a pro you would benefit from 4k .....
Why buy a pro and then leave such a meagre budget for a TV. You will struggle to get a 32 inch 1080p for that let alone something 4k hdr which is what a pro really needs. Take the pro back, get a slim and use the extra towards a tele.
Original Poster
benrobertsno136 m ago

Why buy a pro and then leave such a meagre budget for a TV. You will …Why buy a pro and then leave such a meagre budget for a TV. You will struggle to get a 32 inch 1080p for that let alone something 4k hdr which is what a pro really needs. Take the pro back, get a slim and use the extra towards a tele.

I’ve never bought a TV before in my life so have zero knowledge but I’ll increase my TV budget if 4K HDR is best for the Pro. Thanks for your help. First time I bought a gaming console too!
LG B7
Edited by: "oliverkennedy10" 23rd Dec 2017
Original Poster
packard4 h, 29 m ago

What screen size ? Running a pro you would benefit from 4k .....

Was thinking of 32 inches.
Mfbham27 m ago

I’ve never bought a TV before in my life so have zero knowledge but I’ll in …I’ve never bought a TV before in my life so have zero knowledge but I’ll increase my TV budget if 4K HDR is best for the Pro. Thanks for your help. First time I bought a gaming console too!

It is kind of wasted on a 1080 p screen. A budget of ~ 400 would get something reasonable with 4k hdr, obviously not the best but noticeable upgrade over 1080.
Do keep in mind the PS4 pro can play down sampled games and a few pro enhanced titles do have better graphic detail levels (close to a pc high/ultra settings).

A pro is a slight waste on a 1080p TV, but it isn't mandatory to have a 4k TV either.

I would've gone 4k TV > ps4 pro after. As the 4k TVs do a good upscale on a normal ps4, even the cheaper Philips models (I currently own one).

If you can get your budget to around £400-500 you maybe able to get a fairly decent mid range 4k TV. Have seen some Samsung and LG models discounted down to £500 ish. Unsure how good they are but for the branding I'd expect the quality to be decent over a cheaper company.

Edit: down sample is to run the content at 4k (or 1440/1800p for some cases) and then scale it downwards to a 1080p display. Which can give off a sharper look to the edges of characters, objects and other details.
Edited by: "kos1c" 24th Dec 2017
kos1c10 h, 56 m ago

A pro is a slight waste on a 1080p TV, but it isn't mandatory to have a 4k …A pro is a slight waste on a 1080p TV, but it isn't mandatory to have a 4k TV either.

It's not really the resolution, it's just the oddity of shelling out extra for image quality on the console and then buying the cheapest possible TV.
kos1c11 h, 9 m ago

Do keep in mind the PS4 pro can play down sampled games and a few pro …Do keep in mind the PS4 pro can play down sampled games and a few pro enhanced titles do have better graphic detail levels (close to a pc high/ultra settings). A pro is a slight waste on a 1080p TV, but it isn't mandatory to have a 4k TV either. I would've gone 4k TV > ps4 pro after. As the 4k TVs do a good upscale on a normal ps4, even the cheaper Philips models (I currently own one). If you can get your budget to around £400-500 you maybe able to get a fairly decent mid range 4k TV. Have seen some Samsung and LG models discounted down to £500 ish. Unsure how good they are but for the branding I'd expect the quality to be decent over a cheaper company.Edit: down sample is to run the content at 4k (or 1440/1800p for some cases) and then scale it downwards to a 1080p display. Which can give off a sharper look to the edges of characters, objects and other details.

Its hard to go TV first and pro second when Tesco have certain glitches. You just can't resist the temptation.
EndlessWaves4 h, 28 m ago

It's not really the resolution, it's just the oddity of shelling out extra …It's not really the resolution, it's just the oddity of shelling out extra for image quality on the console and then buying the cheapest possible TV.

Some games play 1080p 30fps on standard ps4, while on the PS4 pro, they have the option for 4k 30fps, 1080p graphic enhanced or 1080p 60fps.

Some people may want it for the 60fps, as that's a huge deal breaker for first person shooters, others for 4k visuals, or PC like graphic details.

sazal4 h, 15 m ago

Its hard to go TV first and pro second when Tesco have certain glitches. …Its hard to go TV first and pro second when Tesco have certain glitches. You just can't resist the temptation.

I wasn't putting the choice down, I would've gone the other way though, as mentioned above. 4K tv's do a really good job of upscaling 1080p content into something between 1080 and 4k.

I was blown away playing standard titles on my 4k tv, and as I got a PS4 Pro myself, the change isn't really night and day. As a lot of games aren't true 4k, or lower resolution and checker boarded over.

Then you get the top quality titles like Uncharted 4, which runs at 1440p, and the Tv does the rest to upscale it further, making it look amazing.

Best thing from a 4k TV is HDR, a good quality HDR changes the game completely.
The Ambilight's from Philip's TV range is really impressive as well, I got a 55" Tv for I believe £435-460 out of Argos. My tv has a few minor bugs but it doesn't cause too much of an issue. But the 8bit HDR, and ambilight makes the experience so more entertaining to view.

Some forums state it's not real HDR, and the image quality gets a little compressed while performing HDR, but at high speed action, you won't really be able to nit pick over the fine lines.

Uncharted 4 on a Philips tv.
Edited by: "kos1c" 24th Dec 2017
Original Poster
sazal9 h, 22 m ago

Its hard to go TV first and pro second when Tesco have certain glitches. …Its hard to go TV first and pro second when Tesco have certain glitches. You just can't resist the temptation.

I actually bought the pro from Tesco with the recent glitch and why I am now looking for a TV for the Pro, this is my first time buying a gaming console and TV for the console hence request for advice.

I did not know about 4K HDR TV which is why my TV budget was low but now I’m happy to increase it. Already found a TV deal this morning on this app!

Thank You to everyone for your advice, much appreciated!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants