Groups

TV help, 1080p

Is the 1080p the best to get or is 720 ok as its very confusing, I am after a 37'' screen but cant decide whether I need to get 1080p, also, what contrast ratio do I need to look for? Any other specs I need to look for?
    cheers

11 Comments

Yes 1080p is the highest resolution for comercial TVs at the moment.

if you are getting only a 37" screen, you may have a hard time perceiving the difference between 720p and 1080p, especially if you sit at the correct viewing distance.

Ignore the contrast ratio's listed in spec lists, as a manufacturer can measure contrast which ever way it wants, so they are not comparable across brands. The best way is to read a review, and then compare potential purchases in a store to see which you like the look of.

Off the top of my head, good manufacturers are (in a rough order) :

Pioneer
    Sony
    Panasonic
    Samsung

1080p is worth it as nearly all proper HD stuff comes in 1080p really. I would also consider 40" if at all possible as the screens I have seen get far better contrast (the way you can tell how black the screen can go). I have a Samsung 40" A6 series and did plenty of shopping around about 3 months ago.

good luck,
    Nick.

Heavertron;3501001

Yes 1080p is the highest resolution for comercial TVs at the moment.

1440p is the highest res on a commercial tv.

Original Poster

Heavertron;3501001

Yes 1080p is the highest resolution for comercial TVs at the moment.if … Yes 1080p is the highest resolution for comercial TVs at the moment.if you are getting only a 37" screen, you may have a hard time perceiving the difference between 720p and 1080p, especially if you sit at the correct viewing distance.Ignore the contrast ratio's listed in spec lists, as a manufacturer can measure contrast which ever way it wants, so they are not comparable across brands. The best way is to read a review, and then compare potential purchases in a store to see which you like the look of.Off the top of my head, good manufacturers are (in a rough order) :PioneerSonyPanasonicSamsung

ngard81;3501030

1080p is worth it as nearly all proper HD stuff comes in 1080p really. I … 1080p is worth it as nearly all proper HD stuff comes in 1080p really. I would also consider 40" if at all possible as the screens I have seen get far better contrast (the way you can tell how black the screen can go). I have a Samsung 40" A6 series and did plenty of shopping around about 3 months ago.good luck,Nick.

Thank you for your help, its nice to see there are some good folk on here:thumbsup:

Heavertron;3501001

Yes 1080p is the highest resolution for comercial TVs at the moment.if … Yes 1080p is the highest resolution for comercial TVs at the moment.if you are getting only a 37" screen, you may have a hard time perceiving the difference between 720p and 1080p, especially if you sit at the correct viewing distance.Ignore the contrast ratio's listed in spec lists, as a manufacturer can measure contrast which ever way it wants, so they are not comparable across brands. The best way is to read a review, and then compare potential purchases in a store to see which you like the look of.Off the top of my head, good manufacturers are (in a rough order) :PioneerSonyPanasonicSamsung

Is that good to bad? since Samsung are pretty much the best for LCD and Pioneer and Panasonic for Plasma and Sony used to(if not still) use a lot of Samsung panels

just got a sony 40" 1080p for £474

jasonrat;3501154

the somalian pirates are selling off stock already?? i'm in!

just kiddin'!

jasonrat;3501154

Where from? i'm after a new tv

sancho1983;3501370

Where from? i'm after a new tv

it was from the marks and spencers thread
    they phoned up this morning to cancel it but offered me] this this instead
    for £499
    i had to pay over the phone there and then if i wanted to but i said i paid via quidco and would lose out
    so he gave me £25 off too:thumbsup::w00t::w00t:

the thing is the tvs not for me its for the christmas raffle
    at only £1 A GO ptheres a good chance on winning it

Don't worry too much about contrast ratios as every manufacturer uses different standards to measure them.

There's a lot of personal preference involved but I would argue that Panasonic plasma technology offers the most natural picture quality for standard definition broadcasts and DVD films. I don't really think anyone could argue how good the 360 looks on it either. I'd particularly apply the overly sharp and false representation of images to Samsung and LG panels.

I chose mine after 3 months of looking at different screens and initially hating the idea of the plasma route. My work colleague is buying one shortly and is equally convinced after comparing mine to friends.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions