TV instead of Monitor for graphics work

Found 15th Feb
Currently have just a 21in monitor which is about 5 years old but I have a spare 32in flatscreen TV. Just wondering how wise it would be to use the TV till my TCB builds to a bit higher then the current £140 - it's a nice to have thing so don't want to spend what I call real money (from my bank account) :-)

Won't be playing games but always thought getting to close the TV would hurt my eyes mom always said anyway :-)
Community Updates
AskElectronics
16 Comments
Why dont you just plug it in and try it.
Original Poster
I know it'll work but just don't know the long term effects on my eyes.
It'll make you go blind, oh hang on that's something else isn't it
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog1 m ago

It'll make you go blind, oh hang on that's something else isn't it

What's the dog's name? this is my Skipper :-)33268481-POIwq.jpg
If you do it, it'll send you retarded.

oh wait..........
I would say utilise what resources you have at present without spending money unecessarily. The tv will work fine as a monitor however there are a few things to take into consideration:

The input method to the tv (Hdmi, Dvi, vga or Displayport) will ultimately affect the quality of the image displayed onscreen. Depending on your pc graphics card (resolution and refresh rate) and tv display panel quality.

Physical space is also a factor if your tight on space.

Power consumption of the 32" tv will be higher depending on the technology used be it plasma, led or lcd.

Colours and display modes set on the tv will also affect the digital representation onscreen.

As for being too close to the tv, yes that rule still applies :). It can damage your eyes being too close.
Just sit further away from the screen than the 21" you have so that its in full view of your eyesight without having to twist or turn your head.
4TheMenyNotTheFew2 h, 49 m ago

What's the dog's name? this is my Skipper :-)[Image]

What dog?
I can't see a thing!
Edit: I've just realised do you mean the dog on my avatar, that's Sid an eight year old border collie he's a pedigree idiot but I love him all the same.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 15th Feb
4TheMenyNotTheFew2 h, 54 m ago

I know it'll work but just don't know the long term effects on my eyes.

It's exactly the same display technology so I wouldn't expect much difference there.

Depending on the TV and the work you may find it's not as accurate and has a tendency to hide visual artefacts.

And of course the resolution will only be 1920x1080 rather than the usual 2560x1440 so unless you move it further back then everything will look pixellated.

Terracore17 m ago

The input method to the tv (Hdmi, Dvi, vga or Displayport) will ultimately …The input method to the tv (Hdmi, Dvi, vga or Displayport) will ultimately affect the quality of the image displayed onscreen.

Well, only in the sense that the TV or graphics drivers may treat them differently. Exactly the same picture information will be transferred if they're set up the same way.
Original Poster
Terracore49 m ago

I would say utilise what resources you have at present without spending …I would say utilise what resources you have at present without spending money unecessarily. The tv will work fine as a monitor however there are a few things to take into consideration:The input method to the tv (Hdmi, Dvi, vga or Displayport) will ultimately affect the quality of the image displayed onscreen. Depending on your pc graphics card (resolution and refresh rate) and tv display panel quality.Physical space is also a factor if your tight on space.Power consumption of the 32" tv will be higher depending on the technology used be it plasma, led or lcd.Colours and display modes set on the tv will also affect the digital representation onscreen.As for being too close to the tv, yes that rule still applies :). It can damage your eyes being too close.Just sit further away from the screen than the 21" you have so that its in full view of your eyesight without having to twist or turn your head.

Should be no problem with video card, the base unit was a hp of the range HP 18 months ago. Can't recall what it is but it has a SSD and 2gb drive, some nice colour changing on the front that should help ;-)

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll give it a try. TV decent spec LG
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog38 m ago

What dog?I can't see a thing! Edit: I've just realised do you mean the …What dog?I can't see a thing! Edit: I've just realised do you mean the dog on my avatar, that's Sid an eight year old border collie he's a pedigree idiot but I love him all the same.

All Collies are crazy. Mine has spent today siting on the Mrs lap because the washing machine was on. It's the same one we've used for years but today he didn't like it for some reason. But normally it's just the sound of the wind and black bin bags that scares him :-)
If you're doing graphics work, I'd recommend calibrating whatever device you're using.
If you don't, your work might look good to you, but might not to everyone else.

Usually TV's that are set for watching TV shows are too contrasty and the colours are too saturated, when switched to being used as a monitor.
If it's important/professional graphics work, buy a monitor with a wide Adobe RGB colour gamut.
It all depends what you are using it for, if for productivity will be fine. If you plan to use for gaming, one thing to bear in mind is the refresh rate will be very low (around 50hz).
sinxa1 h, 29 m ago

It all depends what you are using it for, if for productivity will be …It all depends what you are using it for, if for productivity will be fine. If you plan to use for gaming, one thing to bear in mind is the refresh rate will be very low (around 50hz).

It's very rare to see a TV these days that doesn't support the same 60hz refresh rate as most monitors.
EndlessWaves34 m ago

It's very rare to see a TV these days that doesn't support the same 60hz …It's very rare to see a TV these days that doesn't support the same 60hz refresh rate as most monitors.

Most good gaming monitors support 100+ hz
sinxa1 h, 28 m ago

Most good gaming monitors support 100+ hz

Yeah, it's a nice refinement that's come about in recent years if you want to invest the extra expense in the hardware needed to run it.

30-60fps is still the standard gaming frame rate targeted by many game developers for common hardware.
EndlessWaves16 m ago

Yeah, it's a nice refinement that's come about in recent years if you want …Yeah, it's a nice refinement that's come about in recent years if you want to invest the extra expense in the hardware needed to run it.30-60fps is still the standard gaming frame rate targeted by many game developers for common hardware.

I’ve been playing The Witcher 3 on my 55OLEDC6V, graphics are incredible but 60hz refresh rate looks kinda weird when moving the mouse around. Don’t get me wrong it’s playable but I’m interested to see how this improves with a proper gaming monitor
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants