Tv Issues

Posted 5th Jan
Ok here goes

My Front room Panasonic tv switches on then as soon as i press the volume up or down key or (any other key) switches off, randomly switches on and off.

However this front room panasonic tv works fine in the back room and so i thought lets switch and so when i plugged the back room tv in the front room......... the very same thing also happens with that tv

Now im thinking the tv's are not at fault - i mean two tv's, different remotes, with exactly the same problem at exactly the same time in exactly the same location - far fetched.

I isolate and power off everything, sky box, routers, ps3, Firestick etc etc

Must be the electrics im thinking, so now i run a brand new electric extension cable from the back room where both tvs work fine to the front room and connect the tv and ... .........same problem, upon switching on any remote button press causes the tvs to switch off

I have tried putting the tv in different corners of the front room with different sockets and both tvs still arent working.

Both TVS in the back room both work well without any problems. yet in the front room both become faulty with exactly the same problem.

Removed everything magnetic in and around the front room, switched off all wifi, electronics etc and still the same problem.

This is one bizarre problem - please help!

p.s the Panasonic tv has worked fine in the very same room for the past 5 years- this has just developed.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

27 Comments
A ghost
Have you checked in the sofa to make sure nothing has fell down to interrupt the signal making it turn off?
Well Gremlins was on at christmas
Yeah it’s definitely paranormal
Could be a intermittent remote issue? try use a good universal remote like a harmony.
Do a hard reset on both TV.
This method worked on couple of TV issues posted here.
J4GG405/01/2020 18:24

Could be a intermittent remote issue? try use a good universal remote like …Could be a intermittent remote issue? try use a good universal remote like a harmony.

He implies he was using the remote that came with each TV.

Did you remove the original remote from the room in case it was interfering?

Is the TV going into standby or is the power cutting off?

Are the two rooms on the same circuit?
Someone pranking you with one of those remote gadgets?
I would try a universal remote and so if that has the same issue. Also another bizarre request does it do it when the curtains/blinds are closed?
Blimey. I started reading the OP and it sounded like one of those 'problems' they hit you with in an exam. You know the ones:

"If Tom boards a train at 08:45am and it arrives at the next stop at 09:08 at an average speed of 67mph - then it waits until 09:17 before departing to the next stop with the average being 56mph - at what time..."

That IS a very strange occurance, KEEP_IT_TEA. Not your normal 'techy' problem, is it? Tricky one. I know some of the older Panny LCD's have a mercury power switch which can be temperamental but that's usually just when powering up - I've never known them to switch off by themselves once warmed up.

So, just to be clear - the TV(s) turn on fine, and will continue to work fine UNTIL you touch a remote? What I mean is, if you don't operate a remote they continue to function correctly? What about if you turn it on - don't touch the remote - but press a button on the TV itself? Would it turn off then?

Quite intriguing, this one. I'll read with interest!

Regards, Phsy.
Aerial socket.

Were they both plugged into the same aerial socket?
TV remotes work off infra-red. Have you, or someone in the room, got a phone switched on with infrared on? Also clean the receiver lense on the TV.
Then with the TV in the offending room, stand on the doorway and switch it on then quickly cover the lense on the remote and leave the room. See if the TV switches itself off. If it does its a TV issue, if it doesn't then its the controller OR something interfering with the signal.
I fully understand this is a real "shot in the dark" but have you changed the lightbulb in that room recently? I'm really trying to think outside the box and this sprung into my mind:

"Energy saving light bulbs can interfere with televisions causing them to randomly change channel and switch on and off, a leading manufacturer has admitted. ... The problem is caused when the bulb is first switched on and flickers at a frequency which affects the infra-red sensors on remote control receivers."

I know, right?. Don't shoot me down as it's probably not the answer...
Which model? Does led flash before it goes off - if so, count the number of flashes. They could be an error code, depending on the model you have.
Plug a 2kw heater into the sockets, and see if it switches off (just to eliminate a lose wire somewhere on the ring main)
It’s something in the room as both TVs work elsewhere, turn off everything not just the stuff you mentioned maybe also any WiFi extendas or mesh systems, any smart tech. If it just started what have you added to the room. Wireless house phones if battery’s are low can knock signals..

its a long painful process but is fixable with methodical elimination....
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 5th Jan
With logical thinking this should be a straight forward fix.

It just looks to have become overcomplicated.

When you moved the 2nd tv to where the first tv was did you use anything the same?

For example, the aerial socket, or the same extension cable/socket, or just something as simple as using the same hdmi cable.
Everything needs to be different, and then if you still have the same problem it's something else in the room.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 5th Jan
mikeportsmouth05/01/2020 18:02

Well Gremlins was on at christmas

LOL I remember back in the days of video rental when gremlins was first available the VHS player chewed the tape up whilst rewinding it.
Phsycronix05/01/2020 19:46

I fully understand this is a real "shot in the dark" but have you changed …I fully understand this is a real "shot in the dark" but have you changed the lightbulb in that room recently? I'm really trying to think outside the box and this sprung into my mind:"Energy saving light bulbs can interfere with televisions causing them to randomly change channel and switch on and off, a leading manufacturer has admitted. ... The problem is caused when the bulb is first switched on and flickers at a frequency which affects the infra-red sensors on remote control receivers."I know, right?. Don't shoot me down as it's probably not the answer...

I was thinking light-bulb too, the Mrs uses an LED "daylight" bulb for crafting and I cant use the remote for the ceiling light-bulb when its on as it blocks it so definitely emitting on the IR spectrum.
harlzter05/01/2020 21:12

LOL I remember back in the days of video rental when gremlins was first …LOL I remember back in the days of video rental when gremlins was first available the VHS player chewed the tape up whilst rewinding it.

As long as it didn`t chew up one of the " under the counter" ones
Thanks for all the suggestions.

My fault diagnosis was as follows
1) S**t faulty 55" tv in front room (faulty means it switched itself within seconds of switchin on/ switches off when any remote button is pressed)
2) removed faulty 55" tv from front room
3) replaced with perfectly working 49" tv in back room
4) within minutes perfectly working 49" tv - now doing the same as the faulty one
5) was the original faulty 55" tv faulty? so plug it in the backroom and it works fine - no probs
6) Return the 49" tv to back room that works perfectly fine too
7) Think could be a problem with the remote, so try with original panasonic remote and Sky tv remote. - makes no diff
8. Think - must be the wiring
9.) Run an extension wire from different rooms in the house to the same location in the front room - still problems
10) possible interference from other tech? disconnect everything - makes no difference
11) in the same front room, move the tv around different sockets - still problems persists.
12) Both tvs being panasonic- possibly a brand thing?
13) bring over mums Samsung and for the past three hours - no bother!

The lighting in my room is CFL - 11x 15w bulbs all 4000k Day White

cant figure the problem, still bugging me what is panasonic doing with there sensors/switches which is causing all this bother? or is it my room thats the issue. But then why does the samsung tv work without any bother.
Edited by: "KEEP_IT_TEA" 5th Jan
KEEP_IT_TEA05/01/2020 22:04

Thanks for all the suggestions. My fault diagnosis was as follows1) S**t …Thanks for all the suggestions. My fault diagnosis was as follows1) S**t faulty 55" tv in front room (faulty means it switched itself within seconds of switchin on/ switches off when any remote button is pressed)2) removed faulty 55" tv from front room3) replaced with perfectly working 49" tv in back room 4) within minutes perfectly working 49" tv - now doing the same as the faulty one5) was the original faulty 55" tv faulty? so plug it in the backroom and it works fine - no probs6) Return the 49" tv to back room that works perfectly fine too7) Think could be a problem with the remote, so try with original panasonic remote and Sky tv remote. - makes no diff8. Think - must be the wiring 9.) Run an extension wire from different rooms in the house to the same location in the front room - still problems10) possible interference from other tech? disconnect everything - makes no difference11) in the same front room, move the tv around different sockets - still problems persists. 12) Both tvs being panasonic- possibly a brand thing? 13) bring over mums Samsung and for the past three hours - no bother! The lighting in my room is CFL - 11x 15w bulbs all 4000k Day Whitecant figure the problem, still bugging me what is panasonic doing with there sensors/switches which is causing all this bother? or is it my room thats the issue. But then why does the samsung tv work without any bother.

Ok. So as you've said yourself - if the TV's work fine in another room, they aren't faulty. I know you tried to explain (and maybe it's me not understanding) but what happens when you turn on the TV in the front room AND TOUCH NOTHING? I.e. you don't press ANY buttons on either the TV OR remote? Does the TV switch channels/turn itself off or ONLY does something when you press a key on the remote?

Next: How long have you had the CFL lights - or is this a new addition to the room and the TV has started acting up since?

I'd like to eliminate something: Can you put a piece of tape/card or even stand something (DVD/CD case) in front of the IR sensor on the TV. Now power it up and see what happens. Also, to rule out interference from the lights, does this problem occur with them off?

I just read through the OP again and can't see where you say how long this has been happening? Has it happened recently, coinciding with a change in the room - or has the TV always been functioning correctly and has suddenly started doing this?

I think you have already proven yourself that the TV(s) don't appear to be faulty so it can only really be an external influence that is affecting the frequency of Panasonic's sensors. This is reinforced by the fact that the Samsung works because it's on a different industry set frequency and isn't affected by whatever is influencing the Panny's.

You're gonna have to think hard on this one...
I agree with last, something has changed in the room
Maybe your neighbour on that side of your house just got a new tv/remote and it is interfering with yours?

I'm picturing someone sat next door cursing that his TV keeps changing channel
Satan_Claws06/01/2020 07:43

Maybe your neighbour on that side of your house just got a new tv/remote …Maybe your neighbour on that side of your house just got a new tv/remote and it is interfering with yours?I'm picturing someone sat next door cursing that his TV keeps changing channel

We had a similar issue with a doorbell and a neighbour
Can you clarify what this means

7) Think could be a problem with the remote, so try with original panasonic remote and Sky tv remote. - makes no dif

Are you using one of those one for all learning remotes then?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions