Found 23rd Jun 2008
I haven't had a TV licence and thus not a TV for about 5 years when I got pretty fed up of the tax. I've missed all the football this year apart from random games a friends houses.

Just randomly looked now and its £139.50!!! Its a pretty popular product! Is it hot or a cold deal?

Sorry, if this breaks any rules of asking a question if something is hot by putting it up as a deal, I am considering this again or maybe going back to WoW or finding another MMORPG. Anyway that is not the question, I know what they are worth (to me). So yeah - TV Licence is only £139.50, £47 for Black and White, £7.50 if you are blind and its free to over 75s

1. Misc
  2. TV
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. TV
18 Comments

outdated tax that should have long since be abolished.

Banned

Dunno if this is breaking the rules or not... but it should be because its pointlessly filling the deals forum with guff posts, making the true hot deals harder to find.

think the OP needs to get a real life : )

I'm with yankeeyk. BBC put on all manner of cr*p and we are forced to pay for it.

Just out of curiosity, does one need a TV licence to watch BBC stuff using iPlayer on your PC via broadband?

anooobist;2373633

Just out of curiosity, does one need a TV licence to watch BBC stuff … Just out of curiosity, does one need a TV licence to watch BBC stuff using iPlayer on your PC via broadband?

Yes you do im afraid

Moved to Miscellaneous forum

Banned

Hahahahaha
*cough*
Not Funny

anooobist;2373633

Just out of curiosity, does one need a TV licence to watch BBC stuff … Just out of curiosity, does one need a TV licence to watch BBC stuff using iPlayer on your PC via broadband?

No, you don't need a licence to watch the iPlayer:

bbc.co.uk/blo…tml

Good job it was moved else we could of all froze to death in here.

I thought the TV licence guys could only pick up the CRT on their scanners!!! Any idea if they are able to scan for LCD and plasmas as well!!

Cannot be classed as a deal as their is no alternative to compare with anyway!

I really begrudge forking that amount of money out on a licence for a set I hardly watch .Pity the BBc can only come up with soaps ,period dramas and nature programs .How many times do we have to see lions and tigers .etc in the wild .I do get a bit sick of these the rubbish .

TV licence does seem unfair - if you don't watch, say, BBC 1, why pay for it?

What's the alternative? If you want ultimate fair, then it has to be pay-per-view, but there again, who fancies being treated like a Sky customer?

Of course, there's always a few people who havn't thought the thing through who suggest commercial TV, which "doesn't cost anything".

The trouble is: It does cost. Think where the money comes from.

Companies pay to have their adverts on the box. This money has to come from somewhere. The only place is from the money they make selling whatever they sell. Ultimatey there's only one place the money comes from: you and me.

If you trawl the web for TV advertising revenue and the number of households, you'll come up with a figure of 26 million households in the UK and about £3900 million revenue to the TV companies from advertising.

Thats about £150 per household per year.

Irrespective of what they watch.

Irrespective of whether they even have a flamiing TV or not!

So whilst the TV licence isn't particulaly fair, it is the lesser of a load of evils.

LOL TV scanners don't exist. (Do they?)

So if I have a PC with a built in TV tuner do I have to have a TV licence?

Original Poster

nerner;2375858

LOL TV scanners don't exist. (Do they?)So if I have a PC with a built in … LOL TV scanners don't exist. (Do they?)So if I have a PC with a built in TV tuner do I have to have a TV licence?

^^Yes you do [if you use it] , I've read the T&Cs

Thanks for moving thread. I was in two minds where to put it. Sorry I got it wrong - I just thought to stop any sort of long thread people could just vote.

You see, some of my friends swear by the TV and couldn't live without it. Its for those boring times of either coming on forums like here and annoying the hell out of every1 or finding something else to do in the times I don't want to think. Ok, so the majority are against it... What is the mind numbing alternative I could indulge in? World of Warcraft again? hmmms

And what does OP mean? Original Poster? Orange Pineapple? Overly Protective? Online Price? I think the first... but I don't know.

TV License = mind control

I believe TV scanners do exist, I think they scan for the refresh rates of the CRT!! Any one know any more about this.. Maybe some one who works for the TV authority!! :O
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    2. Christmas presents510
    3. Mobile phone advice33
    4. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?55

See more discussions