Tv licence?

Found 26th Feb
Reading another post on here about them got me thinking... tv licence is my ultimate pet peev (loath) id rather pay the extra in council tax or even give it to the old lady who resembles a wicked witch who knocks the door twice a year offering me weird crystals
I hate it!! I hate everything about it!!
I pay it as they hounded me I felt I couldn’t open the door to the post man or they would jump out the bush behind him!
Just wanting peoples views every time I see it on my statement I think I’m a an idiot for ever giving in and giving my details and signing up to this should I have taken my chances I’m in Scotland btw. What do most do? do most people just sign up and shut up for an easy life?? Or I’m a one of the suckers they scared into it??
Community Updates
AskElectronics
18 Comments
Just ring them and tell them you no longer have a tv. They have no legal access to your premises so it makes it virtually impossible for them to prove.
I agree about it being a pet peev,
I’m more than happy to pay for it, I like the radio and watching tv without adverts, my pet hate phone line rental when I only want broadband
I don't Pay it I answer the door refuse them in as I'm not the house owner tell them come back in an hour remove all cables connected to the tv tell them you use an amazon fire stick for Netflix and that's all then will leave you alone for a year or 2
Original Poster
fitzyboy169030 m ago

I don't Pay it I answer the door refuse them in as I'm not the house owner …I don't Pay it I answer the door refuse them in as I'm not the house owner tell them come back in an hour remove all cables connected to the tv tell them you use an amazon fire stick for Netflix and that's all then will leave you alone for a year or 2

That’s a good idea I mainly gave in tho as I have a big daft sky dish hanging off the side of the house you can’t miss and my windows so easy to see in the front is just mono drive there’s nothing to stop you seeing straight into the house and the tv with minimum effort. I kept thinking I’m going to turn round one day to a man with a camera on the drive snapping my tv
Original Poster
whatyadoinsucka38 m ago

I’m more than happy to pay for it, I like the radio and watching tv w …I’m more than happy to pay for it, I like the radio and watching tv without adverts, my pet hate phone line rental when I only want broadband

I agree about the line rental we don’t even have a phone plugged in! But I literally only watch Eastenders and not religiously. We don’t watch news. I don’t like their radio channels so wouldn’t listen to them at all. For one soap to be paying so much seems crazy nevermind all the horrible stories and scandals associated with them.
I will NEVER pay for a tv license. I don't think it's fair at all that they try and force people into buying it - I never agreed to funding BBC channels or radio, i'm quite fine with watching adverts.

If you don't want to pay for it then don't. Simply say you don't watch live TV and if they ever turn up at your door tell them to piss off and shut the door. They are not the police.
I detest the idea of paying for propaganda, and hate the thought of my money going to the BBC and their agenda-driven programming (the only decent shows they make are nature documentaries).

Send a letter saying you do not require a licence, that you will inform them of if the situation changes and that you formally remove implied right of access to the property. That way, they cannot legally step foot on your property without a warrant. If someone does before you’ve sent the letter, don’t let them in. They have no right - get your camera phone and film them so it’s on record: they won’t like that.

I don’t have the address to send the letter to but I found this information online and they haven’t bugged me since!

As I say, I don’t watch telly but I did the above after becoming sick of the fortnightly letters telling me I should retain the letter in case I was summoned to court - ridiculous!
Original Poster
lockwoodisbored25 m ago

I detest the idea of paying for propaganda, and hate the thought of my …I detest the idea of paying for propaganda, and hate the thought of my money going to the BBC and their agenda-driven programming (the only decent shows they make are nature documentaries).Send a letter saying you do not require a licence, that you will inform them of if the situation changes and that you formally remove implied right of access to the property. That way, they cannot legally step foot on your property without a warrant. If someone does before you’ve sent the letter, don’t let them in. They have no right - get your camera phone and film them so it’s on record: they won’t like that.I don’t have the address to send the letter to but I found this information online and they haven’t bugged me since!As I say, I don’t watch telly but I did the above after becoming sick of the fortnightly letters telling me I should retain the letter in case I was summoned to court - ridiculous!

I agree 100% l would love to do this. But I wonder if they can check my sky tho without me allowing them in? That’s mainly what worries me or them taking a pic thru the window of my tv on with sky box? I definitely don’t want the fine or a court date
whatyadoinsucka2 h, 20 m ago

I’m more than happy to pay for it, I like the radio and watching tv w …I’m more than happy to pay for it, I like the radio and watching tv without adverts, my pet hate phone line rental when I only want broadband

Would that broadband be via phone lines by chance ?
Original Poster
jco838 m ago

Would that broadband be via phone lines by chance ?

Yeah but your paying for the broadband already the phone line is needed for it but with say fiber you pay for the service there isn’t a separate charge for the cable? There’s many things we can’t have one without the other but wether we should have to pay twice is the issue
Edited by: "masesmum28" 26th Feb
I think we are all being stitched up with this tv license malarkey, The BBC now have channel W on the sky platform which has adverts on it, and low and behold shows Eastenders as a repeat on the nigh time after it has aired earlier in the day a bit like used to happen with BBC Three. Now why are we paying a licence fee again hmmmm.
masesmum285 h, 6 m ago

That’s a good idea I mainly gave in tho as I have a big daft s …That’s a good idea I mainly gave in tho as I have a big daft sky dish hanging off the side of the house you can’t miss and my windows so easy to see in the front is just mono drive there’s nothing to stop you seeing straight into the house and the tv with minimum effort. I kept thinking I’m going to turn round one day to a man with a camera on the drive snapping my tv

We have one too, installed by previous tenant but we don't watch TV ever. TV is only used for gaming.
We don't pay for the TV licence and haven't been hassled about it for years now that I think about it... I did let them know that we don't need a licence.

They did knock once years ago and I didn't open and they must have seen the satellite dish but that's not proof of anything as it can be installed but not connected to a TV etc.
I used to be a Magistrate dealing with TV Licensing. They have other ways of monitoring tv usage as well as knocking on doors and gaining entry to the property. I can’t recall anyone getting off without a fine as the evidence against them was so strong.
masesmum2811 h, 51 m ago

Yeah but your paying for the broadband already the phone line is needed …Yeah but your paying for the broadband already the phone line is needed for it but with say fiber you pay for the service there isn’t a separate charge for the cable? There’s many things we can’t have one without the other but wether we should have to pay twice is the issue

You're not paying twice, the bill is simply split into two items.

Virgin will be taking a very similar amount to maintain their network as openreach does for the ex-BT network, they just choose not to show it as a seperate item on the bill.

The cost of the phone service is minimal and it wouldn't be noticably cheaper if that were disabled.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves3 h, 9 m ago

You're not paying twice, the bill is simply split into two items.Virgin …You're not paying twice, the bill is simply split into two items.Virgin will be taking a very similar amount to maintain their network as openreach does for the ex-BT network, they just choose not to show it as a seperate item on the bill. The cost of the phone service is minimal and it wouldn't be noticably cheaper if that were disabled.

I’m sure my line rental with sky is double what they charge me for broadband. There should be an option to have other use of the line or not.
masesmum281 h, 51 m ago

I’m sure my line rental with sky is double what they charge me for b …I’m sure my line rental with sky is double what they charge me for broadband. There should be an option to have other use of the line or not.

You're assuming the sticker prices of mandatory parts of a bundle represent their actual costs.

The actual line rental costs that ISPs pass on to openreach (who runs the local network) are public so we know how much it actually costs, and it's quite a different amount to the sticker prices the big ISPs assign to the line rental part of their services.

It depends on exactly which service the ISP is providing, but it's typically £10 a month or less.

Anyone who's charging more than about £12 can be assumed to be 'hiding' broadband costs in the line rental. Last year BT even got a slap on the wrist from Ofcom for using line-only packages to subsidise their broadband service.
EndlessWaves27th Feb

You're not paying twice, the bill is simply split into two items.Virgin …You're not paying twice, the bill is simply split into two items.Virgin will be taking a very similar amount to maintain their network as openreach does for the ex-BT network, they just choose not to show it as a seperate item on the bill. The cost of the phone service is minimal and it wouldn't be noticably cheaper if that were disabled.

I agree as Virgin's packages with no landline cost at least £30 when I had a look last time.
This is similar to paying for a phone line and broadband with other providers.
All the broadband only packages I saw were around that price so not cheaper than the normal packages.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions