TV licencing claimed to have called to my property, letter delivered via royal mail?

Found 26th FebEdited by:"SOUTHWALES"
Received this letter today from TV licencing, claims they called why I was not at home although I was home all morning and I am fairly sure this letter was delivered by royal mail as a few minutes earlier it was not there, then when I heard the letterbox go from royal mail this was on my door mat amongst other letters at around 10am, also there is no way anyone could call to my home without my small yorkies letting me know, if it was royal mail I think it is not royal mail's job to be in on TV licencing tactics to intimate people into purchasing a TV licence by claiming I had a visit from a TV licencing officer. I do not need a TV licence as the only TV in the household has an Xbox and ps console connected to it and this is in my daughter's bedroom. I have tried to inform TV licencing of this in the past but they claim I still needed a home visit.

2900536.jpg
2900536.jpg
Community Updates
MiscElectronics
Top comments
Segata-Sanshiro3 h, 42 m ago

If you have a TV your best off removing the internal tuner from it or …If you have a TV your best off removing the internal tuner from it or buying a pc monitor and speakers so they can't mess you about

Or tell them you don't watch live TV and refuse their entry to your property. I'm sure that's easier.
Royal Mail hasn't delivered that
I recommend digging a hole outside your house and covering it with twigs and leaves, and next time they try to sneak up to your letterbox they will fall in. You will have them trapped and you will be able to interrogate them. Just make sure you give your postie a heads up.
Edited by: "INDUSTRYHATER" 26th Feb
AW00794 m ago

If you've got a tv in your house,you need a license,no matter what's …If you've got a tv in your house,you need a license,no matter what's connected to it.

No you don't.

tvlicensing.co.uk/che…nce
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 26th Feb
54 Comments
Just let them know your situation - probably an automated mailout.
Unless your postie is moonlighting as a TV licence inspector then no, it didn't come through them.

Junk mail yes, unsealed personal letters with today's date no.
SJHan11 m ago

Then If it was not royal mail I don't understand how it got through my door without my dogs letting me know, as soon as my gate goes my dogs ears are up on alert, and if someone knocked or come up my drive they would have barked. The only time they did let me know someone was at my door was when royal mail delivered my letters. If it was a TV licencing officer I can only assume he crept up the drive, very quietly posting the letter and then as quiet as he could be went back down the drive, as my dogs hear everything, they have ears like sh## house rats.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 26th Feb
I haven't bought a TV license for a few years and never been told I need a home visit. I do receive an email from them once a year requesting confirmation about not needing a license. My initial contact with them was through their site rather than filling in any forms
The top of the letter starts "I visited today..." - This was not delivered by the Royal Mail.
SOUTHWALES3 m ago

Then If it was not royal mail I don't understand how it got through my …Then If it was not royal mail I don't understand how it got through my door without my dogs letting me know, as soon as my gate goes my dogs ears are up on alert, and if someone knocked or come up my drive they would have barked. The only time they did let me know someone was at my door was when royal mail delivered my letters. If it was a TV licencing officer I can only assume he crept up the drive, very quietly posting the letter and then as quiet as he could be went back down the drive, as my dogs hear everything, they have ears like sh## house rats.

They might have walked up the drive with the postie. I've had bailiffs walk up the drive behind me so as to confuse the resident.
AW00794 m ago

If you've got a tv in your house,you need a license,no matter what's …If you've got a tv in your house,you need a license,no matter what's connected to it.

No you don't.

tvlicensing.co.uk/che…nce
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 26th Feb
AW00792 m ago

You couldn't be more wrong, it literally says om the TV licensing website that isn't true.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 26th Feb
AW00794 m ago

No you don't, if its only a playstation and an xbox connected, aslong as they don't watch iplayer or any programs while it is currently being shown on tv they are fine without a licence.. It doesn't fully say in the original post but my assumption is the tv is only used for video games.
Guess it will just have to remain a mystery how it got through my door without me either hearing the door knock or the dogs not alerting me. But it would not surprise me if this was TV licencing latest scare tactic into hoping you think they are doing home visits and rush out to buy a TV licence. I am thinking that because I live quite rural this is cheaper alternative than them actually sending a TV licence officer.
SOUTHWALES3 m ago

Guess it will just have to remain a mystery how it got through my door …Guess it will just have to remain a mystery how it got through my door without me either hearing the door knock or the dogs not alerting me. But it would not surprise me if this was TV licencing latest scare tactic into hoping you think they are doing home visits and rush out to buy a TV licence. I am thinking that because I live quite rural this is cheaper alternative than them actually sending a TV licence officer.

It's a pointless exercise sending people around anyway if you want to play them at their own game, as i don't believe they have any legal right to come in your house anyway, you can just tell them you don't give them permission to come in and all they can do is stay outside.
AW00798 m ago

Nope!
SOUTHWALES5 m ago

Guess it will just have to remain a mystery how it got through my door …Guess it will just have to remain a mystery how it got through my door without me either hearing the door knock or the dogs not alerting me. But it would not surprise me if this was TV licencing latest scare tactic into hoping you think they are doing home visits and rush out to buy a TV licence. I am thinking that because I live quite rural this is cheaper alternative than them actually sending a TV licence officer.

Why don't you contact TV Licensing, ask to speak to the officer named on the slip of paper you received, & pose the question directly to him or her?
I'm more inclined to think it was 'delivered' at some point since you last received a letter.
If you have a letter box with brushes and daft flaps inside and out. Then it was maybe posted but stuck
Then the letters pushed it through making it look like they all came at once.

It certainly looks flimsy and slightly curled.
winifer3 m ago

It's a pointless exercise sending people around anyway if you want to play …It's a pointless exercise sending people around anyway if you want to play them at their own game, as i don't believe they have any legal right to come in your house anyway, you can just tell them you don't give them permission to come in and all they can do is stay outside.

Correct.

From the TV License site:
Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to enter your home without a search warrant granted by a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). They (like other members of the public) rely on an implied right in common law to call at a property as far as the door, while going about their lawful business and making their presence known. Enquiry officers must explain to the occupier of the premises why they are visiting, be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by rules of conduct.

You have no obligation to grant entry to an enquiry officer if you don’t wish to do so. If refused entry by the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property. If enquiry officers are refused access, then TV Licensing reserve the right to use other methods of detection.
Predikuesi4 m ago

Correct.From the TV License site:Enquiry officers do not have any legal …Correct.From the TV License site:Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to enter your home without a search warrant granted by a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). They (like other members of the public) rely on an implied right in common law to call at a property as far as the door, while going about their lawful business and making their presence known. Enquiry officers must explain to the occupier of the premises why they are visiting, be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by rules of conduct.You have no obligation to grant entry to an enquiry officer if you don’t wish to do so. If refused entry by the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property. If enquiry officers are refused access, then TV Licensing reserve the right to use other methods of detection.

Other methods of detection : Zoom lens through the crack you left in the bedroom curtains. Pervert mofo's.
SOUTHWALES19 m ago

Then If it was not royal mail I don't understand how it got through my …Then If it was not royal mail I don't understand how it got through my door without my dogs letting me know, as soon as my gate goes my dogs ears are up on alert, and if someone knocked or come up my drive they would have barked. The only time they did let me know someone was at my door was when royal mail delivered my letters. If it was a TV licencing officer I can only assume he crept up the drive, very quietly posting the letter and then as quiet as he could be went back down the drive, as my dogs hear everything, they have ears like sh## house rats.

It does look like a 'calling card'. They have hand written dates on them. I think they want to deliver them as fast as possible so it looks like they have made calls, but don't actually want to deal with any people.

I've had it a couple of times where they sneak up to the front door (due to the nature of the path outside, I can almost always hear people coming but never them). Then they push it though the door as quietly as possible. Even when I've immediately got up, I haven't managed to catch them walking away. They must really leg it.
I recommend digging a hole outside your house and covering it with twigs and leaves, and next time they try to sneak up to your letterbox they will fall in. You will have them trapped and you will be able to interrogate them. Just make sure you give your postie a heads up.
Edited by: "INDUSTRYHATER" 26th Feb
Well at least you know they could possible knock in the near future! So if you dont have a tv licence and you really need one then be very careful to who you answer the door too!
One or two swear words but great ADVICE
Oneday7725 m ago

I'm more inclined to think it was 'delivered' at some point since you last …I'm more inclined to think it was 'delivered' at some point since you last received a letter.If you have a letter box with brushes and daft flaps inside and out. Then it was maybe posted but stuckThen the letters pushed it through making it look like they all came at once.It certainly looks flimsy and slightly curled.

No brushes and even if this is the case and they took the time to visit me I don't understand why he never knocked on the door, and again not that he would need to, my dogs would have heard him come up the garden path but and even if they somehow missed that none of us would have missed the knock on the door. it is a small bungalow all on one floor with every room basically right next to the front door. House was in silence as no TV or radio on so no way even I could change missed the knock never mind the 3 dogs who would hear a pin drop. That is why I am putting money on it being royal mail, as the only person we heard come up my drive and post any letters.
Just be aware that it’s not the owner of the property or the owner of the tv that might be prosecuted, it is the person found to be using the tv. So if a neighbour calls in to feed your cat or water the plants and puts the tv on for a bit of background noise, if the licensing people call in it is your kindly neighbour that’s taken to court. That’s why it’s mostly younger women who are hauled before the courts as they are the most likely occupants to be in during the day using the tv.
Op, just in case you get any future visits or litigation, keep records of who you spoke to and times etc at the licensing customer services team for any defence you may need to provide as you are clearly on their radar.
MSK.31 m ago

It does look like a 'calling card'. They have hand written dates on them. …It does look like a 'calling card'. They have hand written dates on them. I think they want to deliver them as fast as possible so it looks like they have made calls, but don't actually want to deal with any people.I've had it a couple of times where they sneak up to the front door (due to the nature of the path outside, I can almost always hear people coming but never them). Then they push it though the door as quietly as possible. Even when I've immediately got up, I haven't managed to catch them walking away. They must really leg it.

But to my understanding capita who come to your door are on commission so rely on you being home and hoping you agree to a payment plan.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 26th Feb
I own the rights to all light rays emitted by the sun. If I catch you with your curtains open, you are liable to a usage charge of 1p per photon.
Shengis26th Feb

Other methods of detection : Zoom lens through the crack you left in the …Other methods of detection : Zoom lens through the crack you left in the bedroom curtains. Pervert mofo's.

33334914-BY1bJ.jpg
SOUTHWALES27 m ago

But to my understanding capita who come to your door are on commission so …But to my understanding capita who come to your door are on commission so rely on you being home and hoping you agree to a payment plan.

No, they're salaried. £20k a year + commission on top:

visitingofficers.co.uk/the…le/

So any comission is just icing.

It seems to are desperately trying to find a way that they haven't found your house or been round. They have; but it's not really anything to be concerned about. They rarely ever knock.

Plus you're not doing anything wrong, are you?
MSK.5 m ago

No, they're salaried. £20k a year + commission on …No, they're salaried. £20k a year + commission on top:http://visitingofficers.co.uk/the-role/So any comission is just icing.It seems to are desperately trying to find a way that they haven't found your house or been round. They have; but it's not really anything to be concerned about. They rarely ever knock. Plus you're not doing anything wrong, are you?

The phone number on the letter is Capita's
tregs3 m ago

The phone number on the letter is Capita's

*nods* I've got a file of their letters. It's currently running at 6 inches thick. I'm quite well versed in their correspondence by now!
If you have a TV your best off removing the internal tuner from it or buying a pc monitor and speakers so they can't mess you about
winifer1 h, 50 m ago

It's a pointless exercise sending people around anyway if you want to play …It's a pointless exercise sending people around anyway if you want to play them at their own game, as i don't believe they have any legal right to come in your house anyway, you can just tell them you don't give them permission to come in and all they can do is stay outside.

This is completely true, TV licencing have no legal power over people who have no need for one, I have seen people advise the best method of approach is to just ignore all correspondence from them as they are just door to door salesmen trying to sell you something you don't need, their letters may as well be trying to sell you PPI insurance if you don't watch live tv or iplayer.

There is a lot of information online regarding how corrupt the tv licence people/capita are, they will break a lot of laws or falsify evidence, the best thing to do when engaging with any person you suspect may be related to them or any other stranger on your door is to film everything they say and do, there's literally hundreds of videos of them on youtube doing things they shouldn't be doing
Segata-Sanshiro18 m ago

If you have a TV your best off removing the internal tuner from it or …If you have a TV your best off removing the internal tuner from it or buying a pc monitor and speakers so they can't mess you about

Seems a lot of hassle just to not be messed about.
Sub.
Segata-Sanshiro3 h, 42 m ago

Or tell them you don't watch live TV and refuse their entry to your property. I'm sure that's easier.
Segata-Sanshiro3 h, 47 m ago

I really wish TV tuners in sets were optional though, silliness aside. There's two in most modern TVs and it costs money to have them. I'd much rather than a decent screen for less money without them.
Did the letter have your name on it OP?
I do think the license fee for everyone is about 70% overpriced .they should be making most of back money from advertising as that's all half the programs seem to be anyway .even at prime times of the day they just putting the same old rubbish repeats on or some nonsense dramas which are all just variations of the same story.yes it's another money making con
MSK.17 m ago

Did the letter have your name on it OP?

No.
SOUTHWALES5 m ago

No.

That's good. They get a little bit more insistent with the letters for two or three months when they have your name on.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants