Tv license

Posted 14th MarEdited by:"m40"
Hi all
If we stick to youtube,Netflix and Amazon prime or other online streaming (not live) do we need a tv license.Noting to watch on BBC thinking to ditch tv license
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Arto14/03/2020 18:06

I think it’s if you own a device capable of watching and bbc content then y …I think it’s if you own a device capable of watching and bbc content then you need to pay for the license. I’m not 100% sure btw just what I’ve heard

Incorrect. You don't. Only if you watch live TV or Iplayer.

TV is proper Not watched in years!
We ditched a couple of years ago and not missed it at all. Any live tv and the iplayer is all you need to avoid
53 Comments
We ditched a couple of years ago and not missed it at all. Any live tv and the iplayer is all you need to avoid
No you don't.

"You only need a TV licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast or use iPlayer – if you only use other catch-up sites, you don't need one."

moneysavingexpert.com/uti…ce/
I think it’s if you own a device capable of watching and bbc content then you need to pay for the license. I’m not 100% sure btw just what I’ve heard

I think it’s if you own a device capable of watching and bbc content then y …I think it’s if you own a device capable of watching and bbc content then you need to pay for the license. I’m not 100% sure btw just what I’ve heard

Incorrect. You don't. Only if you watch live TV or Iplayer.

TV is proper Not watched in years!

As long as you don’t watch any live TV or BBC I player or BBC channels a TV license isn’t required

information here

You need a license for the following

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

tvlicensing.co.uk/che…one

With so many streaming services these days there will be an increasing number of people don’t require a license.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 14th Mar
Rusty8214/03/2020 18:11

Incorrect. You don't. Only if you watch live TV or Iplayer.TV is proper …Incorrect. You don't. Only if you watch live TV or Iplayer.TV is proper Not watched in years!

Is it all live tv or just live BBC channels?
Just inform them you don't watch TV via their online form. I haven't owned one in years. My TV is used for Playstation and Netflix (whenever I have it, I don't often renew).

tvlicensing.co.uk/che…nce
Do you need a TVL? No.
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 18:20

As long as you don’t watch any live TV or BBC I player or BBC channels a T …As long as you don’t watch any live TV or BBC I player or BBC channels a TV license isn’t required information hereYou need a license for the following watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channelwatch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-oneWith so many streaming services these days there will be an increasing number of people don’t require a license.

Would I be able to get away with not paying for it if I use IPTV ?
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 18:20

As long as you don’t watch any live TV or BBC I player or BBC channels a T …As long as you don’t watch any live TV or BBC I player or BBC channels a TV license isn’t required information hereYou need a license for the following watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channelwatch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-oneWith so many streaming services these days there will be an increasing number of people don’t require a license.

So technically we can not watch anything LIVE on YouTube or any other streaming platform?
What other streaming services can you recommend which don't need a lic please
Arto14/03/2020 18:21

Would I be able to get away with not paying for it if I use IPTV ?

Willing you be watching live TV?

If yes then a license is required.
Arto14/03/2020 18:18

all live tvs
Edited by: "m40" 14th Mar
m4014/03/2020 18:26

So technically we can not watch anything LIVE on YouTube or any other …So technically we can not watch anything LIVE on YouTube or any other streaming platform?What other streaming services can you recommend which don't need a lic please

You can use them services just not to watch “LIVE” programmes
Why is Youtube in that list? ridiculous.

So technically we can not watch anything LIVE on YouTube or any other …So technically we can not watch anything LIVE on YouTube or any other streaming platform?What other streaming services can you recommend which don't need a lic please

You could get clarification about YouTube from TV licensing.

tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/…app
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 18:26

Willing you be watching live TV?If yes then a license is required.

It’s IPTV how would they know? It’s not exactly a legal way to watch tv. My Virgin tv is being removed end of month that’s all and all I use my tv for is IPTV and Kodi
Frankie7714/03/2020 18:29

Why is Youtube in that list? ridiculous.

Because you can watch live-streams
Arto14/03/2020 18:18

Unfortunately all live TV. It is a total con, I'd always urge people to stop paying it.

You can sign online that you don't watch live TV of any kind and they will leave you for 2 years and ask you the same question again on repeat every 2 years. That's about it. You also don't need to do that, you will likely get a letter to the occupier that you just ignore. If you get someone to your door, shut in their face or have some fun with them, up to you. They can't come in your house without a warrant, and to obtain a warrant they need some sort of evidence you are committing the crime, like having your TV visible from the public path or the like and even then they'd need to prove it was live TV you were watching. I would never let them in my house, not that I've been bothered by them ever and I've not had a TV licence for years.

Even if I was to watch TV, which I don't, but if I did, the money I've saved is more than the fine would be but it's never going to happen. I stream everything from all sorts of sources.
It's every year they ask you again.
Arto14/03/2020 18:29

It’s IPTV how would they know? It’s not exactly a legal way to watch tv. My …It’s IPTV how would they know? It’s not exactly a legal way to watch tv. My Virgin tv is being removed end of month that’s all and all I use my tv for is IPTV and Kodi

I don’t know I don’t have a IPTV or no much about them.

I watch live tv so just pay my license.
Arto14/03/2020 18:29

It’s IPTV how would they know? It’s not exactly a legal way to watch tv. My …It’s IPTV how would they know? It’s not exactly a legal way to watch tv. My Virgin tv is being removed end of month that’s all and all I use my tv for is IPTV and Kodi

They wouldn't know about IPTV. Unless they somehow got your ISP to disclose all of your traffic, which will never happen. IPTV is already dodgy so if you've got that then...

Honestly, it's a no brainer and nothing to worry about in my opinion.
Rusty8214/03/2020 18:34

They wouldn't know about IPTV. Unless they somehow got your ISP to …They wouldn't know about IPTV. Unless they somehow got your ISP to disclose all of your traffic, which will never happen. IPTV is already dodgy so if you've got that then...Honestly, it's a no brainer and nothing to worry about in my opinion.

I’ll cancel it now then before my next payment comes out. Haven’t used the Virgin tv for 5 months
Apparently an investigation is authorised to visit my home every 5 weeks. They have probably blown more than a fee in postage to me. The last guy that came to visit was a rat faced individual, with greasy hair and a train spotters anorak. It was made known to him in no uncertain terms that he was trespassing, and really ought to leave. That was 8 years ago.
With regards to letting them know online, that is much the same as ringing the police to let them know you have not committed a murder.

Yes that’s correct you can’t watch any live content otherwise you require a license.
They should have a way to block out BBC then it would be much easier for me to get rid of TV licence. Family or guest occasionally will click on BBC channels.
Arto14/03/2020 18:36

I’ll cancel it now then before my next payment comes out. Haven’t used the …I’ll cancel it now then before my next payment comes out. Haven’t used the Virgin tv for 5 months

I received a 4 months refund when I declared I hadn't watched TV for that long. But I think I had mine annually.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 14th Mar
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 18:42

Yes that’s correct you can’t watch any live content otherwise you require a …Yes that’s correct you can’t watch any live content otherwise you require a license.

I don't know if that's a thing now regarding watching YouTube channels streaming live, if it is then it is frankly ridiculous and another reason why people should boycott it. What about twitch? Facebook live steams? Come on BBC, give it up.

Like, if I'm watching a wee YouTube guy with 34 subscribers who decided to do a live stream one day I need to then go on and pay for a TV licence in order to be allowed to watch him? No chance that is a thing, even if they say it is, it's not. It can't be. It is impossible to enforce and will never be enforced, ever. In a million years. It is hilarious that they think they can actually do that.

This not a dig at you, you're just pointing things out, only a dig at the BBC/government.
Edited by: "Rusty82" 14th Mar
Frankie7714/03/2020 18:44

I received a 4 months refund when I declared I hadn't watched TV for that …I received a 4 months refund when I declared I hadn't watched TV for that long. But I think I had mine annually.

I pay monthly so I’d be surprised if I get anything
Arto14/03/2020 18:36

I’ll cancel it now then before my next payment comes out. Haven’t used the …I’ll cancel it now then before my next payment comes out. Haven’t used the Virgin tv for 5 months

You won't regret it. I don't see the need for live TV anymore. Like, who actually sits down and watches programmes on at a certain time? Old folk. I've not done that, well, I can't remember the last time I did that.
Rusty8214/03/2020 18:50

I don't know if that's a thing now regarding watching YouTube channels …I don't know if that's a thing now regarding watching YouTube channels streaming live, if it is then it is frankly ridiculous and another reason why people should boycott it. What about twitch? Facebook live steams? Come on BBC, give it up. Like, if I'm watching a wee YouTube guy with 34 subscribers who decided to do a live stream one day I need to then go on and pay for a TV licence in order to be allowed to watch him? No chance that is a thing, even if they say it is, it's not. It can't be. It is impossible to enforce and will never be enforced, ever. In a million years. It is hilarious that they think they can actually do that.This not a dig at you, you're just pointing things out, only a dig at the BBC/government.

They do specifically mention YouTube.

It does seem incredibly unfair as you said for live YouTube stream which are a tiny proportion of YouTube content upload by individuals I don’t think i’ve ever watched anything live on YouTube myself.

It is presumably hard to monitor too.
Rusty8214/03/2020 18:54

You won't regret it. I don't see the need for live TV anymore. Like, who …You won't regret it. I don't see the need for live TV anymore. Like, who actually sits down and watches programmes on at a certain time? Old folk. I've not done that, well, I can't remember the last time I did that.

I do with the football but can’t do that atm but I use IPTV for that
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 18:59

They do specifically mention YouTube.It does seem incredibly unfair as you …They do specifically mention YouTube.It does seem incredibly unfair as you said for live YouTube stream which are a tiny proportion of YouTube content upload by individuals I don’t think i’ve ever watched anything live on YouTube myself. It is presumably hard to monitor too.

Impossible to monitor, which makes it even more ridiculous.

I don't really watch stuff live either, but if I did I'd be happy to contact them and tell them I'm watching Brian's Hairy Back Shaving Channel live stream where Brian is performing a live shave to his 3 subscribers, all without a licence.
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 18:59

They do specifically mention YouTube.It does seem incredibly unfair as you …They do specifically mention YouTube.It does seem incredibly unfair as you said for live YouTube stream which are a tiny proportion of YouTube content upload by individuals I don’t think i’ve ever watched anything live on YouTube myself. It is presumably hard to monitor too.

Hi munhg Have you got a link to the YouTube bit please? I was under the impression it was any of the live channels you could get via an aerial (even if you get them via cable / satellite / internet) plus iPlayer.

"You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

This applies to any provider or device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder."

To me, an "online TV service" means watching live on ITV.com etc
Edited by: "Hacked" 14th Mar
Hacked14/03/2020 19:20

Hi munhg Have you got a link to the YouTube bit please? I was under …Hi munhg Have you got a link to the YouTube bit please? I was under the impression it was any of the live channels you could get via an aerial (even if you get them via cable / satellite / internet) plus iPlayer. "You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.This applies to any provider or device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder."To me, an "online TV service" means watching live on ITV.com etc

tvlicensing.co.uk/che…one

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

What is live TV and when do I need a licence for it?

• if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
  • for all channels, not just the BBC
  • if you record a programme and watch it later
  • if you watch a programme on a delay
  • to watch or record repeats
  • to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
  • to watch live programmes on Red Button services
  • even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services

40106266-dKjfk.jpg
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 19:23

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-onewatch or record …https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-onewatch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channelwatch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.What is live TV and when do I need a licence for it?if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV servicefor all channels, not just the BBCif you record a programme and watch it laterif you watch a programme on a delayto watch or record repeatsto watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channelsto watch live programmes on Red Button serviceseven if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services[Image]

Thank you
Hacked14/03/2020 19:31

Thank you

I wonder if it means, purely TV channels on YouTube. Likes of BBC News channel or other TV channels that end up putting out live broadcasts on YouTube? Not sure if they do that, but could take that from their wording. It really can't be the whole of YouTube, it just can't be.
Yeah Sky News is live on Youtube, plus I have noticed live boxing on now and again. But as someone mentioned earlier, live boxing has been streamed on Facebook too.
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 19:23

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-onewatch or record …https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-onewatch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channelwatch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.What is live TV and when do I need a licence for it?if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV servicefor all channels, not just the BBCif you record a programme and watch it laterif you watch a programme on a delayto watch or record repeatsto watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channelsto watch live programmes on Red Button serviceseven if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services[Image]

I think there is some sophistry at work here or at least deliberately vague information.

Rusty8214/03/2020 19:43

I wonder if it means, purely TV channels on YouTube. Likes of BBC News …I wonder if it means, purely TV channels on YouTube. Likes of BBC News channel or other TV channels that end up putting out live broadcasts on YouTube? Not sure if they do that, but could take that from their wording. It really can't be the whole of YouTube, it just can't be.

Indeed. I occasionally watch live NASA feeds on YT. Yeah, nerd, I know Nothing to do with UK broadcasting. I think the definition of what is a Live TV channel means one thing to the BBC and something else to the rest of the world. More digging required!!
The BBC basically desperate for the money through any avenue, I mean look at this list..TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder. It's not even a TV license anymore. Next we will get charged for watching our neighbours TV through binoculars.
Frankie7714/03/2020 19:56

The BBC basically desperate for the money through any avenue, I mean look …The BBC basically desperate for the money through any avenue, I mean look at this list..TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder. It's not even a TV license anymore. Next we will get charged for watching our neighbours TV through binoculars.

They will soon charge us to listen to it through the wall
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants